Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 2014 Garden

Default My 2014 Garden

Been a while since I posted here, work is keeping me busy. So why not post some garden pics.

This is from the garden in my yard. I have another garden in a friends driveway/yard.

First up is my Jalapenos.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Some are getting huge, doing something right this year.

I have a dozen or so tomatoes growing (more blossoms yet to germinate)

Berries are having a tough time this year, not enough to can but plenty to munch on while working

And for my favorite, sweet peppers!
    The really tall guys are my favorite cultivar. Corno Di Torro. They're late season here in NJ. The second pic has at least 30 blooms in it on two plants, and I have 18 plants.

But I do have some regular bell peppers to tide me over waiting for the main event.

Thanks for looking and I'll post some pics from my other garden later today/night.
    Last edited by NVRDONE; 07-16-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yummy. Nice looking plants you have there.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Nice looking garden.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You did good.

Good looking garden. I'm jealous of your peppers. Mine didn't do so well this year.
    I like bulls horn too. Nice and sweet and red.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Thank you to everyone. Lowkey, my grandpa gave me seeds for them one year and I planted one plant to see what they were like...been planting at least a dozen each year since. Which has really only been 4 years now but I'm getting better each year.
    Here are some more pics from the second garden:

First up is my wall o' cukes, in front of the wall in a bed, which recived a good weeding after I took the pics, is 4x4 plot of carrots and a 4x4 plot of onions not really photo worthy.

Lost count at 24 little guys.

Caught a bee at work, center of pic in the flower. Last year there were none around. I saw at least 8 or 9 buzzing around the plants today.

Paprika Peppers

Black Hungarian Peppers

Bitter Melon, seeds were given to me by my bosses wife who brought them over from Thailand decades ago.

Ground Cherries planted as a curiosity this year as I'm allergic to regular cherries. For some reason I can eat these with no problems.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-16-2014 at 10:12 PM.

Bunch more tomato plants in front of the ground cherries.

Jersey Devil paste type tomatoes.

Cherry tomatoes (unknown cultivar, my Grandpa has been growing them for at least 20 years)

More tomatoes, Black Krim and Hillbilly/Flame cultivars in there. Alot more there than whats seen.

The Neighbors Guard Cat

Blog Entries

Boy do I envy you the weather to grow peppers like that. Over here the outdoor growing season can be a bit touch and go for them.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Lookin good! So jelly of those berries

Default Garden slow but sure

garden 2014.jpggarden 2 2014.jpg

Central WI where I live has been below average temps (by a bunch) and abundant rainfall. So snow peas, LETTUCE! and beans are thriving but everything else is way way behind. That is ok as it means lots of tomatoes in September when I have more time to process them.

I have been getting mega amounts of peapods - picking every other day in these amounts.
    None of this stuff is from DOLE - I just reuse containers. Sorry the produce one is wrong way.

The 2nd picture is of my new 39 bed raised garden (put in November 2013). 5" topsoil, 24"-36" straw, then 5"-6" compost. Someone said all I need are markers and it would look like GRAVES! Indeed in spring it did look that way. Beds are about 10'-15' long by 4'-5' wide so I can jump them! No need to walk around. Paths are super wide for carts, hoses, etc. Drainage is awesome; still figuring out hoses/watering as you cannot put in 25 soaker hoses! But since we are at record rainfall totals, I figure the Good Lord has given me till next year to figure it out.

Now it is settled so it looks pretty normal. Picture was shortly after it was created. Record snow last winter packed it down nicely as I had hoped.

This is a modified Ruth Stout method as WI is too cold (soil doesn't warm often till mid-June) to use her true piled up straw method. Super easy to weed and next year I will cover non-planted spaces with straw as she suggests. It was just too much this year with planning a garden of this size 150' x 50' for me. I do it alone.

So far, only thing I have found that hates hates hates pure compost is Peppers! I will have to top a bed next year with regular soil. Put them in when it was toasty warm and they just hate it. A few peppers coming but nothing like I should be getting. I totally envy your peppers.

OOPs didnot mean to hijack thread - thought this was for all 2014 gardens. sorry.....
    Last edited by Solar Geek; 07-17-2014 at 11:41 AM.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Hey no worries. Seeing other peoples gardens always gives me ideas.

You like ground cherries too? I grew some last year for the first time. Looks like I may be growing them every year from now on. LOL. They re-seed themselves like crazy things. But they sure are tasty.

My garden is a wreck so I'm not going to post pics. Was unable to work in it for 3 weeks and the weeds kinda took over. But I'm making some new discoveries. Like crabgrass. Crabgrass, even in the driest weather will form dew at night, enough to wet the ground around them. My squash sure are digging having all that wet grass around! LOL.
    Maybe I'll post something this weekend.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Lowkey: Not a clue if I like them yet, only ate 3 so far. This is my first year growing them. I munched a couple green ones and a slightly pink berry and they were pretty good. I read somewhere that when the turn brown and fall to the ground they're ready, but I've gotten green to pink in the brown husks. I'm starting to think some critters knock them off. The pink berry was pretty sweet up front then had a really tart bite at the end.

You did a really wonderful job with your garden. The plants look so healthy and green. I am quite envious that I can't seem to grow my own garden this good.

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Geek View Post

Central WI where I live has been below average temps (by a bunch) and abundant rainfall. So snow peas, LETTUCE! and beans are thriving but everything else is way way behind. That is ok as it means lots of tomatoes in September when I have more time to process them.

I have been getting mega amounts of peapods - picking every other day in these amounts.
    None of this stuff is from DOLE - I just reuse containers. Sorry the produce one is wrong way.

The 2nd picture is of my new 39 bed raised garden (put in November 2013). 5" topsoil, 24"-36" straw, then 5"-6" compost. Someone said all I need are markers and it would look like GRAVES! Indeed in spring it did look that way. Beds are about 10'-15' long by 4'-5' wide so I can jump them! No need to walk around. Paths are super wide for carts, hoses, etc. Drainage is awesome; still figuring out hoses/watering as you cannot put in 25 soaker hoses! But since we are at record rainfall totals, I figure the Good Lord has given me till next year to figure it out.

Now it is settled so it looks pretty normal. Picture was shortly after it was created. Record snow last winter packed it down nicely as I had hoped.

This is a modified Ruth Stout method as WI is too cold (soil doesn't warm often till mid-June) to use her true piled up straw method. Super easy to weed and next year I will cover non-planted spaces with straw as she suggests. It was just too much this year with planning a garden of this size 150' x 50' for me. I do it alone.

So far, only thing I have found that hates hates hates pure compost is Peppers! I will have to top a bed next year with regular soil. Put them in when it was toasty warm and they just hate it. A few peppers coming but nothing like I should be getting. I totally envy your peppers.

OOPs didnot mean to hijack thread - thought this was for all 2014 gardens. sorry.....
    I am jealous of the size of your garden... but doesn't that shade suck? It looks heavily shaded, at least at the time of day/year you took that picture.

Check out what came from the garden this morning. A 12oz red bell. Biggest one I've grown to date.

Edit: Sorry for the giant pic. I posted it from my phone, didnt know it would show up that big.
    Last edited by NVRDONE; 09-11-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Wow....that's a pepper......must have been a good year.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Wow....that's a pepper......must have been a good year.
    Its been a excellent year for my peppers, cukes, and ground cherries. Although it looks like I'll be pulling almost ripe peppers around the first frost. I would say 80% of my bull horns are still green. I planted both red and yellow bull horns and I'm seeing all yellow right now.

Chris just saw your reply to my garden. Actually that picture was taken before 7 am. Garden is in full sun from 9 am-6pm. IN fact I planted some lilac bushes and blueberry bushes to give me a little shade.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Wow, you have some impressive vegetables. My peppers have been out of control. Been giving a dozen or so away every week and they are still growing. Do you do any winter gardening?
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE