Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another silly survival scenario, part 1.

If there is a sharing of food and shelter, there is a sharing of water.
    Rather than arguing about it, perhaps getting that solar still up and running is a better idea, before that water runs out?

I once participated in a survival discussion back in high school psych class. The teacher gave us rolls to play. The scenario was a nuclear bomb was headed our way. There is a shelter. Shelter capacity is 20 people. There were 22 students. Who gets left outside? Time limit 20 minutes.
    Guess what? None of us made it inside. We were all still outside arguing. No one stepped up to lead. No one even got out the straws.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Blog Entries

Cool This is getting interesting.

I sorta figured that some of the members on here would identify with the owner of the BOB. Why is the pilot in charge? 'Cuz it's HIS plane. Also, in the film he had a co-pilot, a British military captain along with his Sargent, and a doctor in his corner. Yes, he slept, and when he did his co-pilot had his back. The other passengers were not outdoors people, but oil rig workers headed home. They didn't think that a sandstorm would crash the plane. The Sargent was pretty useless and refused to do much. But the Captain did have a .45 revolver. The bad guy, however, was NOT the leader, but a German guy who wound up saving their butts. Really good film and I think most of you would enjoy it. One thing that stood out, when the guy who saved them told them what they would have to do James Stewart goes ballistic. It is the doctor who says that the passengers need something to occupy their minds. Being pro-active I guess. And 3 liters of extra water WOULD have made a difference since they were on a "time frame" and after that, if they failed, they'd die anyway... Oh, and if you leave with only 3 liters of water in the heat of the blazing Sahara sun you'll be dead before days end. It was several hundred miles to civilization and compasses were out of the question, even though they had one. The captain and another guy sets off to try and make the trip carrying some of their water followed by another character played by the late Earnest Borgnine. The Captain is the only one who makes it back...barely. Anyway, I like what Crash says, IF he's the one in charge then that's how it's going to be!Myself? Don't like my decisions then get off my airplane! It would be no time for rugged individualism...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    If there is a sharing of food and shelter, there is a sharing of water.
    Rather than arguing about it, perhaps getting that solar still up and running is a better idea, before that water runs out?

I once participated in a survival discussion back in high school psych class. The teacher gave us rolls to play. The scenario was a nuclear bomb was headed our way. There is a shelter. Shelter capacity is 20 people. There were 22 students. Who gets left outside? Time limit 20 minutes.
    Guess what? None of us made it inside. We were all still outside arguing. No one stepped up to lead. No one even got out the straws.
    Yes, they did put up a solar still and rationed the water. In my scenario I'd put the BOB dude in charge of the water. He seems to know his stuff and can be an asset...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

As far as electing a leader, if either Cody Lund or Les Stroud are on board they get my vote. If Bear Gryllis is there HE'S the one we send across the desert, up the mountain, across the glacier and through the swamp to get help.