Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Go Pro 3+

Default Go Pro 3+

I just purchased a GoPro 3+ Black edition. I know a good many of you have them so I was wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of (good or bad) about the camera. I have successfully updated the firmware, purchased two extra batteries and an extra MicroSD card. I've successfully synced the remote and the camera as well. At the moment, I'm charging the two extra batteries. I do read instructions but was wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of that you've run into that might not be covered.

Thanks in advance!

What a coincidence. Just replaced mine last night. First off, if you haven't opened the SD cards don't. They have to have one of two specific ones or they can malfunction making them basically useless. A paperweight. The camera can record 4 seconds, shutoff, delete footage. Make sure you get the SanDisk Extreme Plus, or the other one I forget. Not the Ultra. Also make sure you plug in the camera and follow the software update from GoPros site. Important. You have to do that with Each SD card. Also set it up for what you want under the options, I believe it comes programed for a too high quality for most (4k) and is not widescreen. Cycle through options and find this.

I would suggest the battery backpacks. Expensive, but for things I do like diving, an hour and a half is not enough battery time and I can't change the normal one in the ocean.

One thing to watch out for is bumping the small WiFi button on the side. If it accidentally comes on it can drain your battery while not using. You can see it by watching for at least 5-10 seconds. If you see the blinking BLUE light, it's on, hold the button and turn it off. Can be a pain, make sure it is off.

These are amazing cameras, the quality for the price in unbelievable. If you have watched some of my videos, Youtube doesn't do them justice. It can't handle the high quality I see on my MacBook.

As for things that aren't covered, I can tell you the warranty doesn't cover melting due to stupid neighbors LOL.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by RandyRhoads; 07-10-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Drat. Wouldn't you know it. The second SD card I ordered is a SanDisk Ultra. The one that came with it doesn't even have a brand name on it. Well, if I start having problems along those lines I'll know what the suspect is and that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I appreciate the heads up on the WiFi too. I knew it would drain the battery but didn't realize it was that sensitive to bump on. Good to know.

The card reader was crap out of the box so I had to go buy another one this morning. That let me upgrade the firmware. I picked up one of the large accessory packages with it.

Just be on the lookout. Mine worked fine for months for the most part. Then got worse and worse until I figured the camera was trash and almost shot it for fun.

There is also a viewer/monitor so you can see what you are recording. This is also a plus, as me and my Brother learned the camera wasn't recording when we finally hooked into an 11 ft. gator. Lots of video of my butt chasing the gator down though!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I used it tonight to record my grand son's ball game. No being able to view what you are recording is a pain. However, the 3+ has a blinking red light on the back to let you know it's recording. I don't know if the rest of them have that or not. One battery lasted about 1.5 hours with WiFi turned off. I still had 2 bars at the end of the game. Whether it recorded anything is yet to be determined. I'll mess with that tomorrow. I appreciate the input.

I bought the LCD back. But, because it has a wide format it is fairly easy to aim without it. As you can see from Randy's dive videos and he is using the battery back pack so he is just intuitive aiming.

Good point. The lens is so wide angle sometimes if I hold it to take a picture it gets my fingers on the sides even when i'm reaaal careful. Aiming shouldn't be too bad. Friend swears by the LCD backpack but i'd never give up the battery for that.

Well, wide angle or not, I purchased the LCD back this evening. I'll probably have it in a couple of days and let you know what I think.

As luck would have it, our REI store is holding a free GoPro 101 class on the 31st. My wife and I are both signed up. Don't overlook the hunting and gadget stores or the big box stores like Home Depot for classes that they hold.

Looking forward to see some of the vids you make.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, me too. My VCR still flashes the time.........

They got that GoPro app that allows you to use your phone or tablet as the viewfinder. It can be kind of awkward due to them being separate and the slight delay in the relay.

This camera doesn't have zoom and has the wide angle distorted view, so it's not like a traditional camera where you need to aim it and zoom in and focus. It's meant to be used without seeing what you are recording and just pointing it in a general direction.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

You can change the angle of view. There are 4 options that you can choose from My LCD back came today and it makes a world of difference. It's touchable so you can make any changes you want through the LCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You can change the angle of view. There are 4 options that you can choose from My LCD back came today and it makes a world of difference. It's touchable so you can make any changes you want through the LCD.
    Yea, that LCD display looks nice. May have to pick one up at some point.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

edited......
    Last edited by sjj; 09-30-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Rick what do you mean 4 angles? Is that something new to the 3+? Never heard of that on the 3, haven't played with the new 3+ yet

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    Does anyone have any experience sending real time photos over a Sat-Phone and what it might entail? Is it completely cost prohibitive and/or way too slow?
    My only sat phone experience was with military, encrypted sat phones. You'd think for $90,000 it would have taken pictures. No such luck.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

For those of you that have purchased a GoPro or are thinking about it there is a plastic stand that the camera is mounted to in the box. It's only job is to support the camera and then be thrown away. Instead, I cut some slots in it and slid my chest strap through it. Now I have a hands free no charge backpack camera holder.

The plastic thingie.

The buckle stand that comes with the camera.

Put together.

And installed on my chest strap.

Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson