Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Survivalist Instructor Requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    I insist you say what is true in the start... It is PUBLIC knowledge now with the news media and such, that a lot of these "experts" have expanded there resume into the realm of outright lying.

Anyone with a gnat's brain would be cautious, being honest up front IMHO would bring a level of confidence that the instructor will give an honest effort to do right by the student and teach within there scope of knowledge rather than try to be a show off.

Experience, salesmanship, the ability to teach, always be honest. If you have no certifications, tell them on day 1 minute zero...

I can teach a LOT of things, but Ive never been to SERE school, Im not a SEAL and Ive never been to combat. If I had a class, Id be self obligated to state that on the opening of my introduction. Otherwise, your a fraud.

EB

Its my matter of opinion, that is all..
    EB
    Do not imply you have skills you do not have was my point. Why would you say you are not an expert helicopter pilot if you are not a helicopter pilot at all?

'Cause it gets girls, silly. And...apparently a gig on survival TV shows.

Yeah, I guess if you wear tactical clothing or military style clothing and try and imply through your talk or actions that you are on the level of an elite military operator. Then you might have to make an announcement that while you do consider yourself bad ***, that you have never actually done anything. So, you first imply by using military like lingo and trying to carry yourself as something your not and then deny?

I have no military experience, I am not now nor have I ever been a member of the communist party, I am not an international drug smuggler or arms dealer.

Kinda makes for a long introduction.

Hi I'm Batch and I have been an avid camper, hiker, hunter and fisherman for 40 years. During that time I have acquired some skills that we will learn this weekend.

I don't understand the need for even mentioning something unless you carry yourself in a way where you are trying to imply.

In fact I would say that combat training would be left out of the conversation even if you were a Special Forces soldier. Unless you were teaching combat. It would be sufficient to name the specif schools you would have gone through that specifically had a bearing on the skills your teaching in class. Why would you mention that you had gone through jump school or that you were certified in open water scuba 2 or that you weren't for that matter? If it had absolutely no bearing on the topic you were covering.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Hi I'm Batch and I have been an avid camper, hiker, hunter and fisherman for 40 years. During that time I have acquired some skills that we will learn this weekend.

I don't understand the need for even mentioning something unless you carry yourself in a way where you are trying to imply.
    That makes more sense to me, I understand better what you were trying to communicate...
    EB

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Ive been welding since I was 16, I cant teach someone how to weld, I dont have the patience or the mind set to do so.
    Aww.... come on man. Here I was planning to ask you if I could come for a visit and weldin school
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sarge, you and Old Soldier are both correct. There are just those folks in this world that have neither the patience nor the ability to communicate an idea to someone that is unfamiliar with the subject. That's not good or bad in my book it's just how they are. They will have many strong points that the best teacher in the land will fail at. That's what makes community so important and why we survive better in a clan than all alone. We can't be strong in every subject and we must rely on others to compensate for our weaknesses as we compensate for theirs. I believe the term is "synergy".
    completely agree. While I consider myself a jack of all survival and a master of none. While I know just a little bit about most aspects of survival I admit that I don't know nearly enough about most of them to go it alone or with just the wife.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Aww.... come on man. Here I was planning to ask you if I could come for a visit and weldin school
    Hahaha your welcome to come visit but im not sure how much schooling you would get LOL
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Hahaha your welcome to come visit but im not sure how much schooling you would get LOL
    Trust me! I've tried learning to weld several times. I finally gave up for the sake of my instructors sanity and the fate of the free world. Which I hate cause I've never gave up on anything I've tried to learn. I can use a plasma torch and cut the prettiest straight line. I can use an acetalyne (sp?) torch with the best of then. I can soilder the smallest of electronic cables and components, But weld no way.

Well don't feel bad....my welding beads have been called "Cold turd on a rock".....I share your pain.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

About the longest lasting welds I've done were two tiny pieces of slag on a watch. Of course.