Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survivalist Instructor Requirements?

Cool Survivalist Instructor Requirements?

What experience or classes do you guys think would be necessary to become an instructor for
    any of the many Survival Schools out there? Make a list!
    Put down which school you think would require what and we'll have quite the reference!

survival-tv1.jpg

1, Experience in Jungle Survival
    2, Sound Background in Jungle- maybe ex-military serving in the jungle
    3, Recognized in certification
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you mentioned it...

The ability to teach is paramount, the experience can be minimal if the ability to teach the principles is sound.

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

The military has several different survival schools which specialize in different environments. Pick an environment and become an expert in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    The ability to teach is paramount, the experience can be minimal if the ability to teach the principles is sound.

This is true for a school teacher or college professor but not for the survivalist trainer. School teachers and professors read a book and teach that book, no experience or skill set is necessary to teach 2+2=4. Sadly most of the business teachers have never had experience owning or running a business which is one of the reasons why this Country is doing so poorly today, but I'll save that rant for another day

A survivalist trainer has read a variety of books on any subject, lived/survived in the environment he is teaching about for extended length of time on multiple occasions (if not a life style) and has the ability to pass on (teach) his skill set

Experience is the key in this field because there are too many variables that the students will be asking about which do not fall under "knowing the principles". For example, rubbing two sticks together to start a fire will not work without the proper materials, techniques and skill set (experience). The same holds true for hunting, fishing, trapping, building shelters, finding/drinking water, navigation, winter survival vs jungle vs desert vs whatever else, signaling, treating/preventing medical issues, threats in the area (snakes, bears, earthquakes, quicksand, deadly plants, etc...), clothing and the list goes on and on...

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    The military has several different survival schools which specialize in different environments. Pick an environment and become an expert in the field.

This is true for a school teacher or college professor but not for the survivalist trainer. School teachers and professors read a book and teach that book, no experience or skill set is necessary to teach 2+2=4. Sadly most of the business teachers have never had experience owning or running a business which is one of the reasons why this Country is doing so poorly today, but I'll save that rant for another day

A survivalist trainer has read a variety of books on any subject, lived/survived in the environment he is teaching about for extended length of time on multiple occasions (if not a life style) and has the ability to pass on (teach) his skill set

Experience is the key in this field because there are too many variables that the students will be asking about which do not fall under "knowing the principles". For example, rubbing two sticks together to start a fire will not work without the proper materials, techniques and skill set (experience). The same holds true for hunting, fishing, trapping, building shelters, finding/drinking water, navigation, winter survival vs jungle vs desert vs whatever else, signaling, treating/preventing medical issues, threats in the area (snakes, bears, earthquakes, quicksand, deadly plants, etc...), clothing and the list goes on and on...
    It has been my experience that students of any subject will usually wind up outdoing the instructor. An instructor who is very experienced but lacks the ability to teach their students is useless whereby an instructor who can both demonstrate the methods, with minimal field experience, and can embed the knowledge to their students will always do better....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Another thought...

I also don't feel that a lot of what the military has to offer is congruent with civilian survival needs, allow me to explain. My kid brother was in the 101st airborne and stationed in Panama during the Iranian hostage crisis. He was part of a "ready team" when the Shah of Iran was brought there for his safety. My brother was going through jungle training at that time, although he told me that he and his comrades were ready to strike Iran to free the hostages.

So when I visited him a while back with my son I impressed him with my ability to start a fire without using matches by using my Strike Force fire starter. I told him that I was surprised as he had military training and I would have thought that he would have known all about fire starting. What he told me next knocked me off my feet, so to speak. He said that the military NEVER allowed them to have fires as it could give their position away to the enemy! This is something that has reinforced what I have believed for a long time. There is a huge difference between the Boy Scouts and the U.S. Military. The Scouts are NOT a military organization. Where the military serves to protect our country by violent means and resulting in the taking of lives, the Boy Scouts are there to preserve the community by serving it in a positive way. Any good Scoutmaster can teach the basics of outdoor lore that will serve the student learning it very well in a given survival situation. You do not have to be experienced in using a Bowline knot, for example, by saving a life, just be able to teach someone how to tie the knot properly. Being properly prepared does mean practice, but not necessarily the actual use of the same in a real-life situation in the field...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

It has been my experience that students of any subject will usually wind up outdoing the instructor. An instructor who is very experienced but lacks the ability to teach their students is useless whereby an instructor who can both demonstrate the methods, with minimal field experience, and can embed the knowledge to their students will always do better....
    can you give an example of someone being experienced but not have the ability to teach?

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

can you give an example of someone being experienced but not have the ability to teach?
    I have seen this in many areas, not survival as I am self-taught and have not used an instructor....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I also don't feel that a lot of what the military has to offer is congruent with civilian survival needs, allow me to explain. My kid brother was in the 101st airborne and stationed in Panama during the Iranian hostage crisis. He was part of a "ready team" when the Shah of Iran was brought there for his safety. My brother was going through jungle training at that time, although he told me that he and his comrades were ready to strike Iran to free the hostages.

So when I visited him a while back with my son I impressed him with my ability to start a fire without using matches by using my Strike Force fire starter. I told him that I was surprised as he had military training and I would have thought that he would have known all about fire starting. What he told me next knocked me off my feet, so to speak. He said that the military NEVER allowed them to have fires as it could give their position away to the enemy! This is something that has reinforced what I have believed for a long time. There is a huge difference between the Boy Scouts and the U.S. Military. The Scouts are NOT a military organization. Where the military serves to protect our country by violent means and resulting in the taking of lives, the Boy Scouts are there to preserve the community by serving it in a positive way. Any good Scoutmaster can teach the basics of outdoor lore that will serve the student learning it very well in a given survival situation. You do not have to be experienced in using a Bowline knot, for example, by saving a life, just be able to teach someone how to tie the knot properly. Being properly prepared does mean practice, but not necessarily the actual use of the same in a real-life situation in the field...
    I was using the military as an example of different types of survival situations but failed to mention that the military's survival is based around not getting shot, captured and or killed which is a different type of survival situation we are not talking about in this thread.

Blog Entries

Cool One example...

I have, however, disagreed, via e-mail, with several "survival instructors" who run their own schools and have also authored several books on the subject. For instance I wrote one of these that I felt that putting a "survival knife" as a #1 priority item was wrong and that a !st aid kit should be #1 instead...not that it did me any good... However my opinion remains the same. Usually experienced instructors teach what has worked for THEM and not necessarily what is good for the student. While I admire what Cody Lundin teaches I would NOT attend his school as I feel it doesn't apply to me.

Let me ask you this, when have you ever seen any survival instructor teach survival methods to older, overweight people with severe medical problems? This is also a bone of contention with me.... Why do they always focus on younger, more fit people?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I have, however, disagreed, via e-mail, with several "survival instructors" who run their own schools and have also authored several books on the subject. For instance I wrote one of these that I felt that putting a "survival knife" as a #1 priority item was wrong and that a !st aid kit should be #1 instead...not that it did me any good... However my opinion remains the same. Usually experienced instructors teach what has worked for THEM and not necessarily what is good for the student. While I admire what Cody Lundin teaches I would NOT attend his school as I feel it doesn't apply to me.
    Like you said, the instructors teach what has worked for THEM. They do this because whatever they do is working for them and it should work for the student. Just because YOU think a 1st aid kit should be on top of the list does not mean everyone else should fall inline with you. In any survival situation I would rather have a knife and know how to use it instead of a bandaid, tweezers, and whatever else is in a 1st aid kit. BUT the 1st kit is and should be on everyones list, just not the first, most important item. That being said, if someone has a medical condition that requires a kit, than of course the kit should be 1st on the list

Let me ask you this, when have you ever seen any survival instructor teach survival methods to older, overweight people with severe medical problems? This is also a bone of contention with me.... Why do they always focus on younger, more fit people?
    The teachers teach to anyone who pays them regardless of weight or medical problems, within reason, I doubt they will push a 400# person to hike the hills without a medical release from Dr.. They are focusing on getting paid to teach their skills, its that simple...
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-10-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Thank you.

Like you said, the instructors teach what has worked for THEM. They do this because whatever they do is working for them and it should work for the student. Just because YOU think a 1st aid kit should be on top of the list does not mean everyone else should fall inline with you. In any survival situation I would rather have a knife and know how to use it instead of a bandaid, tweezers, and whatever else is in a 1st aid kit. BUT the 1st kit is and should be on everyones list, just not the first, most important item. That being said, if someone has a medical condition that requires a kit, than of course the kit should be 1st on the list
    Can you treat heatstroke with a knife? As for instructors using what has worked for them I'm reminded of the different attitudes in "Dual Survival." Cody went barefoot, it works for him. Should everybody go barefoot? 1st aid, in my opinion, is always #1. You have to be healthy in order to effectively use a knife.

The teachers teach to anyone who pays them regardless of weight or medical problems, within reason, I doubt they will push a 400# person to hike the hills without a medical release from Dr.. They are focusing on getting paid to teach their skills, its that simple...
    Exactly! Money is of more concern to them than the needs of the student. Any unpaid Scoutmaster who has studied survival skills can teach just as effectively as an "experienced" instructor...maybe even better...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Here what Cody Lundin has to say about choosing an instructor....
    http://www.codylundin.com/choosing.html

From an interview with Cody....
    http://masterwoodsman.com/2014/survi...t-cody-lundin/
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I don't see what value there is in a list of schools and what we THINK their requirements are. The requirements may or may not be accurate. If you would like to contact a number of schools and inquire as to what their requirements are then create a post detailing that information than that would be both valuable and accurate.

I was there just about the same time also attached to the 101st. I may have even trained with your brother.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Blog Entries

Cool Very good!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Here what Cody Lundin has to say about choosing an instructor....
    http://www.codylundin.com/choosing.html

From an interview with Cody....
    http://masterwoodsman.com/2014/survi...t-cody-lundin/
    Thank you for this Hunter. Here's another thought, watch this video of a famous "survival instructor" and see if you would agree with what he carries in his bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgW4JMJ0Xuk

I like the bolt cutters myself!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Can you treat heatstroke with a knife? As for instructors using what has worked for them I'm reminded of the different attitudes in "Dual Survival." Cody went barefoot, it works for him. Should everybody go barefoot? 1st aid, in my opinion, is always #1. You have to be healthy in order to effectively use a knife.
    How do you treat heat stroke with a first aid kit? You cant! You need shade, water and rest, two of those you can use a knife to acquire depending on your location

Exactly! Money is of more concern to them than the needs of the student. Any unpaid Scoutmaster who has studied survival skills can teach just as effectively as an "experienced" instructor...maybe even better...
    Money is a concern because they still have bills that need to be paid, paid with money. What you don't understand is that they will not get more students to pay for their classes unless they teach what they know in a successful manner and the students pass on their success stories to their friends who then sign up for the classes.

The needs of the student are different for each student which is why taking more than one class is a good idea for everyone considering taking classes. And there is no way for one teacher to possibly cover all of those needs. It would be like asking a heart surgeon to teach laser eye surgery, both teachers are Dr's. but they each have their own speciality.

I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that a scout master can teach as much as an experienced survival instructor, especially one who lives the skills he teaches??? The scout master is not much more than a weekend warrior, they don't live what they teach because they have real jobs they need to go to in order to pay their bills. What you learn in scouting is more along the lines of camping, not survival.

Blog Entries

Post It's like this....

Grizz I think you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Thank you for this Hunter. Here's another thought, watch this video of a famous "survival instructor" and see if you would agree with what he carries in his bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgW4JMJ0Xuk

I like the bolt cutters myself!
    Again, you need to find the teacher that best meets YOUR needs as an individual and what is good for one may not be good for the rest.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-10-2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: attacking the messenger.

your the mod, not me. I'm done with this thread