Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plumbing and freezing

Two more hours for coffee. THAT'S INHUMANE!!!!!!!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I Know i'm pretty late on this post but might help someone, randyt has it right, I am in construction and have seen this stuff freeze/ thaw several times and not break, used the brass fittings the plastic do break. there is a pro pex that is better yet even though they are plastic. however I would shut h2o off and open up the sink faucets, that give some pressure relief. if you are on a well still need to drain though tanks and pressure switch rv antifreeze in the toliets and sink goose necks, and drain the washer.
    I Dream of a Time when Chickens could Cross Roads and not be Questioned about thier Motives

I recently completed a bar using wirsbo aquapex. I have also used zurn pex and veiga pex but aquapex is by far the most durable.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Don't recall the brand, but the pex plumbing at "The Place" I put in in 2006 is going strong.
    Brass/copper rings.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

contact a professional plumber in YOUR area to get feedback. Better yet, contact a few of them to confirm they are all on the same page and then hire one of them. Hiring a pro today will be less expensive tomorrow if anything goes wrong due to your poor skill set and knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    contact a professional plumber in YOUR area to get feedback. Better yet, contact a few of them to confirm they are all on the same page and then hire one of them. Hiring a pro today will be less expensive tomorrow if anything goes wrong due to your poor skill set and knowledge.
    Agree to a point...there are people in the world that can't be trusted with pointy stuff and power tools.
    But
    The difference between a home owner and a pro......is a pro charges money, might be faster and has the expensive tools......a home owner needs to learn....and it all learned skills...plumbers are not born.

If you ever plan on being self sufficient, off the grid, live in the wilderness.....you need to those skills....an buy/rent the tools.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Agree to a point...there are people in the world that can't be trusted with pointy stuff and power tools.
    But
    The difference between a home owner and a pro......is a pro charges money, might be faster and has the expensive tools......a home owner needs to learn....and it all learned skills...plumbers are not born.

If you ever plan on being self sufficient, off the grid, live in the wilderness.....you need to those skills....an buy/rent the tools.
    I agree with you too. I'm not a plumber but I have done countless plumbing jobs for myself and others, repair the poor work "handymen" left behind and made a few mistakes myself. But all of it could have been avoided if someone took the time to hire a professional and watch them work. Going back to fix a pin hole leak is no big deal, get a call because the basement is flooded is a big deal and VERY expensive in more ways than one.

Believe me there are pro's out there that don't know what they are doing either.....do a ship job and charge you money.

Professional means "Take your money"....Has nothing to do with good knowledgeable work.

Work in a factory for 33 years....and ended up a production controller......Factory shut down...when back to school for HVAC-R....Got a job....made Journeyman.....They needed guys, so I paid for the card.......Never said I was good at it...but they had to pay the rate.

If you are afraid or don't know what you are doing, or it's a coded job...maybe better hire someone.......or when you get older....supervising from a lawn chair is a good thing if your pocket book can take it.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Believe me there are pro's out there that don't know what they are doing either.....do a ship job and charge you money.

Professional means "Take your money"....Has nothing to do with good knowledgeable work.

Work in a factory for 33 years....and ended up a production controller......Factory shut down...when back to school for HVAC-R....Got a job....made Journeyman.....They needed guys, so I paid for the card.......Never said I was good at it...but they had to pay the rate.

If you are afraid or don't know what you are doing, or it's a coded job...maybe better hire someone.......or when you get older....supervising from a lawn chair is a good thing if your pocket book can take it.
    I have a power washing business and people ask me to refer carpenters, plumbers, roofers, whatever and I respond "I know plenty of them but I haven't found one good enough to refer, except for one guy that does deck work, he is outstanding!!" I know all about crappy/dishonest contractors and now I only use those I get referrals for from trusted sources.

When it comes to plumbing, it looks easy and for the most part, it is easy IF you have the experience. Because its also easy to have things look great but once you add pressure, water flies everywhere making a mess. Sometimes it will take a few days/weeks for the joint to work loose and you won't know about it until the water bill comes in or your furniture starts floating

When I did mine.....I drew up my plan complete with drains, venting, and supplies lines.
    Had the plan checked by the Master Plumber at the shop I workd for at the time.....so it was to code.

Hung around and did plenty of plumbing and fitting....piping for boilers, hot water and steam....so did have some experience.

When I finished, several week ends with firend help...(meaning beer and steaks) and travening 4 hr. each way....I might have been cheaper to pay a local plumber (and personal friend) to do it at the time.

Just did windows....and where I would do it my self....I hired "a guy" to do it........and was happy with the work.

Just saying that it's good to learn, and do your own work...but yu do have to know your limitations......

.........and, Yeah, water is relentless.....

ship runs down hill and payday is on Friday.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    ship runs down hill and payday is on Friday.

.....and the boss is a azz whole....oops sorry, you are the Boss......Bhohahahaha
    Couldn't resist....giggle........

I am but only when they deserve it LOL.

....Oh yeah....Don't eat with your fingers........

and no one shakes your hand for a job well done. Some of the slogans, "we're number one in the number two business" or "your ship is our bread and butter"

If you are draining a pipe for the winter, as I do for the water line between my house and garage, I not only drain the pipe but use an air compressor and blow out the pipe as well. It seems to remove that last amount of water that collects in low spots and bends.

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfTheRings View Post
    If you are draining a pipe for the winter, as I do for the water line between my house and garage, I not only drain the pipe but use an air compressor and blow out the pipe as well. It seems to remove that last amount of water that collects in low spots and bends.
    Good advice....

It's would be good to have someone at the other end listening to make certain air is coming through. Just before you press the button.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's would be good to have someone at the other end listening to make certain air is coming through. Just before you press the button.
    You're not right........ It is funny though. At least you told them to listen and not look!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    You're not right........ It is funny though. At least you told them to listen and not look!
    They will only do it once....then you need to find another ....helper?...victim?......