Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Urine Really Sterile?

Default Is Urine Really Sterile?

Thought this was kinda interesting but would also like to see the sources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NetnnmOCaV4

I wish he also mentioned the waste products and the reason for them being expelled from your body as a caution not to use urine.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Sterile..... no. Medical definition of sterile means that something is completely absent of all microbes (micro-organisms) and spores. Anything that is within your body is going to contain microbes of some sort. It my be possible that microbes that are harmful to you are absent within the urine. The issue with drinking urine is that it is extremely hard on the kidney's. You are dehydrated which is hard on the kidney's to begin with, then you are going to give them a concentration of stuff they have already processed as garbage making them over work. That is if you can hold the urine down and not throw it back up, causing more dehydration due to a loss of bodily fluids.

Drinking urine is just not a good idea.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

If everyone keeps watching the so called "survival gurus" on TV, pretty soon they'll have folks eating their own fecal matter too ! Either pack enough water with you, or learn how to find and purify water to make it safe to drink, don't drink urine ! But you could urinate on the ground around a solar still to extract just the water out of the urine I guess - lengthy process for little return !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    If everyone keeps watching the so called "survival gurus" on TV, pretty soon they'll have folks eating their own fecal matter too ! Either pack enough water with you, or learn how to find and purify water to make it safe to drink, don't drink urine ! But you could urinate on the ground around a solar still to extract just the water out of the urine I guess - lengthy process for little return !
    I would question the ability of the solar still to take out just the water. I think it would help somewhat, but I don't know to what extent.

The proper method of providing a urine sample is to cleanse yourself then provide a mid stream sample. By doing this, you are removing bacteria from the surface of the skin and any bacteria that might have migrated UP the urethra, which he mentioned but sort of glossed over. That method is designed to remove external bacteria from being introduced into the sample. Gross..you ain't seen nothing yet.

Now, let us put you in an environment in which you have not bathed for 8 days, you have cleaned fish, picked your nose, wiped your....nose, handled stuff off the ground and now you want to drink your urine. Grosser (sp). Even if your urine were completely sterile guess what's in it now? Grossest (again, sp).

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The proper method of providing a urine sample is to cleanse yourself then provide a mid stream sample. By doing this, you are removing bacteria from the surface of the skin and any bacteria that might have migrated UP the urethra, which he mentioned but sort of glossed over. That method is designed to remove external bacteria from being introduced into the sample. Gross..you ain't seen nothing yet.

Now, let us put you in an environment in which you have not bathed for 8 days, you have cleaned fish, picked your nose, wiped your....nose, handled stuff off the ground and now you want to drink your urine. Grosser (sp). Even if your urine were completely sterile guess what's in it now? Grossest (again, sp).
    Haven't bathed for 8 days? pfft. Try 73 and counting. And you for got that I dug through bear crap to scavenge unprocessed nuts and berries.

All kidding aside, you are absolutely correct. There is no reason to drink urine.

Saw a sign on the back of a urinal, in a saloon once......said,
    "We don't sell beer here, we just rent it....."

I'm not in the urine drinking crowd.......

Actually on the sterile idea....have heard and tried the warmed up urine for ear ache....seemed to work at the time....not sure that warm water and a piece of cotton wouldn't have done just as well.

.....and if the active ingredient in many insect bite remedy is ammonia....why wouldn't it work as a astringent?
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-07-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I am not going to ask how you got warm urine in your ear. I have this vision of you being at Rendezvous and asleep when one of the drunker....never mind. I don't wanna know.

I am not going to ask how you got warm urine in your ear. I have this vision of you being at Rendezvous and asleep when one of the drunker....never mind. I don't wanna know.
    What you meant to say was while sleeping ...on the ground...some where in the vicinity of the lodge....when it might have happened...Not to confirm or deny.
    What happens in 1832 stays in 1832........if ya get my drift.

There is an old myth that you can prevent STDs by washing your genitals in urine after having sex (doesn't work). It is not a myth that the Romans used urine to brush their teeth. Urine contains urea which was used before ammonia as a cleaning compound.

Very few things, it is true are sterile (in medical terms) but one diagnostic sign is that, if there is any (significant amount of) bacteria in the urine, something is wrong. In a normal sample of urine anything over 100,000 bacteria of a particular kind per milliliter is considered abnormal because of bacteria coming off surrounding tissue. But a follow-up of catheterized urine should not show any bacteria at all.

It is good survival practice to distill urine (as in a solar still, for instance). It tastes a little funky but is perfectly drinkable - unfortunately there is a diminishing returns. As you become more dehydrated, you're going to be getting less and less water back. What I generally do is collect all the water bearing materials - leaves and other plant parts, mud, anything I can find, pee on them, and them cover them with the still. Every little bit helps.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I would question the ability of the solar still to take out just the water. I think it would help somewhat, but I don't know to what extent.
    Its simply a distillation process where the water evaporates and condenses on the plastic sheet then drips into a cup, the minerals and salts are left in the soil. But again, a lot of work for very little return.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVZ
    But a follow-up of catheterized urine

Uh, no. Uhuh. Nope. Not gonna happen. Nada. No way. There are certain parts of my body where things are supposed to come out of not go into. I don't care how sick I am. I can be comatose. If someone is coming at me with a catheter there is going to be big trouble in Little China.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post

Very few things, it is true are sterile (in medical terms) but one diagnostic sign is that, if there is any (significant amount of) bacteria in the urine, something is wrong. In a normal sample of urine anything over 100,000 bacteria of a particular kind per milliliter is considered abnormal because of bacteria coming off surrounding tissue. But a follow-up of catheterized urine should not show any bacteria at all.
    One thing Hank in the video mentioned was the medium in which the bacteria is cultured. Not every bacteria will grow on the same medium. I have had to use blood agar plates to get bacteria to grow that would not normally grow on the standard LB agar plates.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Its simply a distillation process where the water evaporates and condenses on the plastic sheet then drips into a cup, the minerals and salts are left in the soil. But again, a lot of work for very little return.
    I know how a solar still works and have used them before. It does romove "solids" that have been dissolved from water, but I don't know if it would remove any liquids from the urine that maybe harmful. That is where my concern would be.

Rick, I can't believe you referred to a part of yourself as "little China"......

Do I gotta 'splain everything? That's the hospital.

Had some orange juice the other day.......tasted like "Tang".....so I asked, and DW says, "Yeah, saw some so I bought it".
    Didn't know they still made that it....and can still recall the NASA saying, Todays Tang is yesterday's urine"

Wish I hadn't started reading this thread..........LOL

Do I gotta 'splain everything? That's the hospital.
    Just don't grab the crayon. We don't need images of any kind when it comes to your little china! :-D

I heard that Bear Grylls uses a big glass jar and fills it with pee. You then set it in the sun for 6 hours and the UV rays do the rest. He calls it sun pee

notthisagain.jpg

No one on TV ever really drank there own urine, it was apple juice after a quick sly of the camera... I can promise you that.