Thread: Fishing Rods

Default Fishing Rods

Anyone here build fishing rods? I just ordered everything I think I need to build some. I've been repairing some rods here and there, so I decided to start making them too. Should be a fun hobby to keep me busy when I can't get out fishing. My bowl making days are over so I needed something new.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Sounds interesting, hope we get to see the progress!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Other than just using a stick on the edge of a bank, no I haven't. Looking forward to see how you do it. Why no more bowl making?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good friend used to make them, split bamboo.....have a couple of his fly rods around here some where.
    Would be interested in see your process......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Neighbor makes some awesome ones. I'm afraid to look into anymore as my hobby plates about 4x full. Good luck.

I fish...but do not make my own rods..For the sea, when I fish ether from a boat or my kayak, I use Shakespeare Ugly Stiks rods...in the streams, its just a simple bamboo or rattan piece cut, with my fishing string and hook tied to it.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Other than just using a stick on the edge of a bank, no I haven't. Looking forward to see how you do it. Why no more bowl making?
    Well the drive belt on my lathe broke, last year and I never fixed it. So the lathe was just taking up space and no one around here wanted wood bowls anyway. So I decided to sell the lathe. The guy who bought it wanted it for a non profit Project Healing Waters. They teach rod building and fly fishing to Veterans. That made my creative "light bulb" turn on and poof new hobby. Not to mention that fishing is pretty big here being in FL and all. I'm starting my first practice rod tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...