Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New pocket pistol

I have dropped guns with the clip type carry. I think I have more holsters than guns. I have tried all the gimmicks also. I am not over concerned about the trigger on pocket carried guns. I think my pocket holster is Uncle Mike's. But, they make those little pieces of Kydex that cover the trigger guard. Peace of mind...

I tried the side clip on my PF9 for a while and finally took it off. I was always afraid I'd drop it. Never did and it seemed pretty solid. Never loosened up because of range time. I just wasn't comfortable with it. I just carry it bare in the pocket. As Kyrat said it's light enough I forget I have it. That's cost me more that one trip back to the vehicle because I was going someplace I can't carry like the post office or a school.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

If you have the right pocket, this is the only way to go.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I carry mine in my left pocket. That's the only way I go.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have considered getting one of those little LCPs for pocket carry. For the most part I'm not a fan of the .380- I think it's marginal and prefer not to go below .38 Special power-wise. Generally I carry a 9mm as my EDC, and sometimes I carry a Ruger LCR loaded with 125gr Hydra-Shok ammo if the weather is hot. To me the LCP would be a BUG or maybe a pocket gun for situations where even my Beretta Nano or Ruger LCR are too big (not likely) or when I would otherwise not bother to carry at all.

I agree- shoot it as much as you can. Test is to be sure it's 100% reliable with whatever load you're running for CCW.

My wife carries an LCP and has no issues with recoil. Being 7 months pregnant she opted for carrying in a flashbang bra holster since there are no holsters on the market compatible with maternity pants. consequently I have no advise on pocket carry with this particular gun since I carry a revolver in my pocket. The LCP itself is a nice little gun and was surprisingly accurate at typical defense distances. So far we have had no malfunctions with either the white box FMJ's or the Gold Dot defensive rounds. Just practice with it, almost any issue can be overcome with practice. If you still haven't bought it yet take a peek at the LC9 or if your set on the .380 look at the LC380, maybe on the slightly big side for pocket carry but its do-able (maybe not so much with swim short pockets). Lots of other brands too! Go to http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Media...px?mediaid=944 for a decent line-up of similar options.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Tool & Die Maker

Have yet to fire my new LCP but it appears perfect for conceal carry in my pants pocket. Probably could stand a small piece of cardboard inside the pocket to hide the gun profile. I carried the LCP all weekend and my wife never knew I had it. The pants I'm wearing now has pockets large enough for the LCP plus my hand plus I'm able to put my finger on the trigger while inside my pocket. I like that. Encounter potential trouble, I can put my hand inside my pocket and the LCP while an onlooker may think I'm fishing around for my car keys.

The LCP is also small enough to easily carry in my shirt pocket although it is a bit heavy and not well concealed in there.
    Jim

I'm going to shop around for a pocket holster for the LCP next.

I settled on a M&P Bodyguard. Like the S&W Bodyguard but without the laser.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

A word of caution....
    plus I'm able to put my finger on the trigger while inside my pocket.
    More people have been shot in the leg doing this very thing. Please do not put your finger on the trigger until your weapon is on target.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    A word of caution.... More people have been shot in the leg doing this very thing. Please do not put your finger on the trigger until your weapon is on target.
    I used to work in an ER. Crash is right! Even had a .22 hit the third leg doing this.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I was going to say something like, "Is that a new LCP in your pocket or are you just happy to see me," but I won't.

Yeah, +1 on the trigger thingie. It's tempting to do but a habit I don't want to get into. The bad buy would be mighty impressed if you shot yourself. Adrenaline is a funny thing. Muscle memory needs to be safe memory.

Part of the purpose of using a pocket holster is to keep things OFF the trigger until the moment of need. If you sense a potential threat you can slip your hand in your pocket and grasp the gun (part of the beauty of pocket carry) but practice drawing and getting your finger where it needs to go at the same time. Like others have said, do not get in the habit of placing your finger on the trigger unless you're ready to fire the gun (at which point it should be pointed at something you're willing to destroy). Get a good pocket holster and practice, practice a LOT.

Me-"Exactly."

Tool & Die Maker

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...8A2A688F%21154

Finally test fired the Ruger LCP 380. I thought the LCP was quite comfortable to shoot. All the talk about this gun to small to hold while firing was not my experience. But, my hands are large and strong. The receiver is easy to actuate for loading a round into the firing chamber. Females may have difficulty with this. The receiver does not remain open after the last shot is fired. There is a small button to hold the breach open. I was unable to close the breach simply by actuating the button. However, the button will release itself when the receiver is move backward a short distance. The breach will then close.
    The LCP does not have a safety switch but with the long trigger pull it is unlikely to discharge accidently. I do not carry the LCP
    with a round in the chamber for now.

I shot at an old piece of scrap vinyl siding from about 18 feet. One round was dead center while the others were a reasonably tight group. I dislike double action triggers but the LCP trigger pull was like like my small Taurus PT 22. The grip was too small for my small finger but that seemed okay. The LCP is held by the thumb and two fingers while the index finger pulls the trigger.

I thought someone said the LCP is the same weight as an I-phone which is untrue. I have a small scale in my shop. The LCP weighs about double what my Apple I-phone weighs and that is without ammo. The LCP is still very light weight.

For the conceal carry application I'll give the Ruger an A rating. Fun to shot and fits well into my pants pocket.

I have been carrying the LCP around with me where ever conceal carry is allowed. I'm very uneasy with conceal carry. Just does not seem right carrying a loaded weapon into the hardware store and other places. However, I took an 11 year old Grandaughter
    for a walk in a very remote forest preserve on Thursday that I have never been to. Even though it was a weekday there were two other "occupied" vehicles parked in the parking lot. At that time I was quite glad to have the Ruger LCP in my pocket. Turned out we were only greeted by swarms of mosquitos.

Default New pocket pistol

Glad you enjoy your new purchase. not sure why is has such a bad rap for recoil, seemed about on par with a small .38 revolver to me.
    Last edited by alaskabushman; 07-13-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Me-"Exactly."

I'm liking mine a lot.......Thanks for your objective review.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Everyone has to do whatever they are comfortable with but remember, in the time it takes to rack a round your assailant may have already shot you or your grand daughter. When/if mine comes out it is ready for business. That doesn't mean, of course, that I don't practice responsible safety precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    Glad you enjoy your new purchase. not sure why is has such a bad rap for recoil, seemed about on par with a small .38 revolver to me.
    Sometimes the interweb seems to start and continue observation that aren't true.
    Some one doesn't like recoil or can't wait to give negative report and bingo, the "truth" is born.

We have a shop close by that will allow you to try different firearms....form you own opinion.

The LCP does jump a bit more that the Walther PPK .380....but it weighs about a third of the PPK....but if you are ready and used to it, not that bad.
    Practice helps........and yeah I carry a round in the pipe as well.

I actually read an old magazine article on the then brand new .357 smith and Wesson magnum. The conclusion was that the recoil was way to much for anyone to handle, and is was unlikely that it would be very popular. If only the person who wrote that could see what we consider "heavy recoil" today.

Me-"Exactly."

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    I actually read an old magazine article on the then brand new .357 smith and Wesson magnum. The conclusion was that the recoil was way to much for anyone to handle, and is was unlikely that it would be very popular. If only the person who wrote that could see what we consider "heavy recoil" today.
    LOL.....I have to tell ya that a 12 ga, 3-1/2" Hevi Shot #4's on a passing over head shot would light your fire if you felt it when hunting.
    When you pattern that load, it WILL hurt.

I carry my BG380 in a DeSantis pocket holster, no problems at all...