Thread: Guess im getting old...

Default Guess im getting old...

I made it 40 years without ever getting poison ivy. I've worked in it, played in it and have been the clean up guy for others who couldn't even look at it but I've been clearing a half acre corner of my property that has some and now I'm covered! Guess I need to rethink all my immunities. I wonder if I need to worry about bees next. Well, it was a good run!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

A lot of people don't know this but, the more contact with poison ivy you have eventually you will wear down your immunity and well you know the rest !!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I know a lot of people that weren't, or didn't seem to allergic to bee stings, that are now.
    That's interesting about poison ivy......?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    A lot of people don't know this but, the more contact with poison ivy you have eventually you will wear down your immunity and well you know the rest !!!!
    Guess I found my breaking point! I was always the guy sent in to the patch to make up the anchor guy on a pole set and to get the downed wire, etc.... Looks like long sleeves and gloves are going to be standard gear now.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Guess I found my breaking point! I was always the guy sent in to the patch to make up the anchor guy on a pole set and to get the downed wire, etc.... Looks like long sleeves and gloves are going to be standard gear now.
    What,????..... they haven't hired a new guys lately?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    What,????..... they haven't hired a new guys lately?
    Hunter, I moved down here 2 years ago... I'm the new guy all over again!

I haven't reached the immune suppression yet, but I have been exposed to a lot of poison ivy over the years with no reaction. Hope it stays that way.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Hunter, I moved down here 2 years ago... I'm the new guy all over again!

LOL....That sucks.
    I started my HVAC service career at age 51....after 32 years in a factory and a number of positions.

Now I was really a New guy, but I guess I looked older, white bears and glasses.....so a lot of people "assumed" I knew what I was talking about.

Worked out well as long as I kept my mouth shut.......LOL

I hear ya on the New Guy

Not only that, but it's pretty common that the first time is really, really bad - that's how it worked for me and it was in my late 30s. Now, in my 60s, I'm much less affected by the stuff. Maybe you can regain the immunity. But now (heh) I live in Colorado and I haven't seen a single sprig of the stuff in the 6 months I've been here. I hear that it actually exists here but I'm pleased that it isn't every danged place I look like it was in Alabama. Anyway, the oil from poison ivy will get on clothes and still cause a problem. I've gotten rashes from clothes that had come into contact with poison ivy as much as a year before.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I've been very very fortunate. The only time I've ever had it was hauling some split log fencing that had been removed. I had a T shirt on and managed to grind some poison ivy into the inside of my forearm. I had 3 or 4 tiny blisters but that was it. I pull the stuff by bare hand at least once a week. For some lucky reason the oil doesn't affect me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Guess im getting old...
    You "guess"...........Bahahahaha!!!!!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    You "guess"...........Bahahahaha!!!!!
    To quote a great American - "Ya think???" Leroy Jethro Gibbs
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

If you were cutting it and got the fluid directly on your skin from the vines instead of just having the leaves brush against you then that might have done it. I never got it until one spring when I was cutting down a dead tree that had a lot of vines on it. ( no leaves yet) Ended up with horrible sores that left scars for a few years. Ever since then I've had to be careful because I'll get it.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

I was in the woods nearly every day as a kid, NEVER broke out with poison ivy, but my ex worked in a sawmill while I was pregnant with my daughter, and he came in contact with poison ivy on the bark of the wood they were cutting, and carried the urushiol home and my whole right side was covered. I scrub down with dawn dish soap now and rarely break out, but when I do jewel weed takes care of the problem straight away.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)