Thread: luminous tape

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default luminous tape

"Back in the day" we had luminous tape that really glowed in the dark. It would shine like a beckon at dusk and still have a good glow when daylight came.

Due to all the good people that decided we needed protection from our wrist watches, compasses and other devices the glowing characteristics of many items weakened to the point of uselessness from the 1980's onward.

I am glad to say the good folks from the Duck Tape company seem to have overcome the hurtles and are now producing a glow-in-the-dark tape that works as well as the old time stuff.

What would one use it for???

I put it on things I want to reach out and grab in the dark, like the flashlight. In the Army we would put a strip on the back of our hats to keep the guy in front of us in sight during night movements, so I suppose it would be good for keeping track of the kids while they played kick the can or chased lightening bugs. Or you could put a big swatch of it on the zipper pulls of the tent for easier nighttime exits while camping.

On a more devious note, I like to put a strip of it down the top of my shotgun barrels or down the top of the slide on my "bump in the night" firearms. They eliminate the disorientation one gets when trying to fix on a target in the dark when sights are simply not visible and the expensive three dot luminous sights you bought simply turn into a tiny glowing blur.

You line up the luminous tape strip on the general target area and when you draw down on the target the glowing tape disappears, and only the glow remains.

It changes night shooting completely.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-26-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

"Did youse put him in da trunk?"
    "Yeah."
    "Did youse tape him up?"
    "Yeah"
    Opens trunk to find body glowing
    "Youse used glow in the dark tape?"
    "That's all they had."
    Head slap.

Glow in the dark tape is also great for unlit stairs, marking your way to a stand or site (remember to remove it when done, please), taping your tent so it's easier to find at night. Same with your pack. Good stuff.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for the heads up.....have to give it a try.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If you can see it, so can they.......
    just sayin'
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    just sayin'
    If that is concern....put it all over...then let them figure which one has the threat.......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Lowkey
    If you can see it, so can they

That's the idea. It's for visibility.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    just sayin'
    Hey, what's that glow over there???

!!! BOOOOOM !!!

I refuse to worry about glow tape when half the world now has a flashlight mounted on their HD shotguns, ARs and pistols and considers brighter the better!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Actually, this might help with a problem I have with unlit back stairs that I have trouble running power to. I suppose the big box is carrying the tape? Certainly would be a lot cheaper than running a new circuit and gfci half-way around the house. Kyratshooter has given me two new ideas today: the tape and the IR scope. Gonna check them both out.
    Last edited by Sunset Sam; 06-26-2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling, again

Now that you mention it, I've often wondered about that flashlight thing too... Half the world may use them on their HD ARs but the guy breaking into your house? Not so much. It all presents a target of some sort. But that's a whole different conversation about what you can do in your home to prevent sad errors in the dark.

Rick, which glow tape is the threat? The one that's moving of course!

But new glowtape is a good find. Thanks for that. It's been a long time coming.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I worked as quality manager for a company that made Globrite products. We used Glo tape under florescent lighting in the Lab. Good stuff..

I no longer work for them but hold their products in high regard.

Mods, delete the link if you feel it violates rules.

http://www.jessupmfg.com/products/ph...cent-products/
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 06-26-2014 at 07:55 PM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Nope. Good link. It shows an excellent example of using it on stairs. Most of the new stuff only requires light not just sunlight so placing it inside usually works. Check the label and make sure artificial light will energize it.