Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Non US Citizens Allowed to Buy Land in USA?

Question Are Non US Citizens Allowed to Buy Land in USA?

Just wondering. Are non US people not living in the USA allowed to purchase land in the US of A? Say for example in Alaska or Michigan or Colorado? Is land in these areas expensive or is land in USA expensive? I am not talking about ranches or farming land..just a piece of land beside a nice lake enough for a small house or a log cabin.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

You do not need to be a US citizen to buy land in the US.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There are ways to purchase property but it's pretty difficult and then you have no guarantees you will be successful. If you want to start a business here then there are several different forms of "E" visas that will allow you to do that. Most foreign entities establish a Limited Liability Corporation here in the US. Of course, that means you must have some type of visa in order to get into the US, illegal immigration aside. Owning property in the US as an individual is a statement of intent to live in the US. If you only have a tourist visa then you take a great risk of that being revoked.

Then there is the issue of funding. If you expect to get a loan in the US to purchase your land then the visa issue becomes a pretty small issue. It will be very difficult, if not impossible, to find a lender willing to provide you a loan of several thousand dollars if you are only here on a visa. It would, after all, be very easy to simply take the money and go home. You will have to live here and establish a credit history within the US to be considered for a loan from a US institution.

As to your question of how expensive land is. That's sort of relative. What I consider expensive may not be to you or the other way around. In any case, the cost is going to be very dependent upon where you purchase that land and whether it has road access to it. You will be looking at around $3000 per acre or relong for the worst property up to six figures for prime real estate. You will need to determine where you want to purchase land to determine the current market value.

Crash's answer is pretty accurate in reality.

Hope that helps.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've been looking at this little piece of land for a while. I'd do it if I were you. And let your buddy randy camp there on the weekends.

http://www.mendorealty.com/listings/111/index.html

Lake front property is $$$$. And, price is really dependent on what state you are in, where in the state..etc. Of course, you did say Michigan. I hear Detroit has some really good deals right now.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

Cool Beware!

There are people who sell land that is unusable for anything. Also there are those who sell phoney deeds; you need to tread carefully....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by finallyme
    I hear Detroit has some really good deals right now

Plenty of square footage for cheap.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Or...if you prefer vacant land....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

$3000 per acre sounds good. What I was wondering (maybe interested if the offer is good) might be a land just to built a small house with some garden around it. In Malaysia, 1 relong would be about 31,000 sg feet and is almost equivalent to 1 1/4 acres. I could be interested with land that has water source, such as a creek running through it of course by a lake would be great but finallyME says its too expensive. I would not need any funding if the cost is around USD20,000.00 inclusive of a two room log cabin built. Oklahama, Missouri, Tennessee, Nebraska, Michigan, Colorado or Alaska would be great. I am a great fan of American Country Music and Southern Rock. One of my favorite song is "Friends IN Low Places"..and with my constant craving of being outdoors, a cabin with a creek in the garden or backyard or a lake beside it would be great. But I would also have to really give a thought of being accepted in the community.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

You're starting to get into a lot of red tape though, as we have building codes and such, which vary state by state. Then there are rules and regulations on water sources. You would need a visa/green card to stay on a long term basis for the most part, and of course a job.

But to answer the very basic part of your question, yes, there is plenty of suitable land available for what you want and prices can vary greatly depending where you purchase. Your best bet is to search real estate listings in the US in areas you think you may want to live and see what is for sale to get an idea of costs.

Log cabins ..do they need to have building codes too...I have always wanted one.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Any dwelling built anywhere in the lower 48 states of the US will need to meet some form of building code.

Every state is required to have minimal building codes set by the federal government. Some areas enforce the codes, some do not, but can at any time they wish too.

I have negotiated those regulations in two different states and even in the remote rural areas the "codes and zoning man" will show up on your doorstep. His job is to find violators of the codes, and he is usually very good at justifying the existence of his job. He likes getting a paycheck.

With no hesitation at all they will nail a "Stop Work Order" on your door and force an inspection. (No they do not need a warrant)

Give them static and you will get to meet the nice sheriff's deputies, Health Department, then the EPA about your pit toilet, then the judge and court clerk and a whole lot of county/state officials that all want their share of the money you intended to spend on a building.

Like I said, been there and done that in two different states. I knew exactly what to do on the second build.

I am on a first name basis with my present zoning and codes inspector.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Kyrat, we got a stop work order because of not getting an insulation inspection... in a shed.... Seriously, a shed. It was the homeowners work shop and he was just insulating it so when he ran a small space heater or ac that it wouldn't just bleed out through the walls in the dead of winter/summer. We've been jumping through hoops for a month trying to figure it all out. We've built plenty of sheds with full electric and such and never have dealt with anything like this before. I knew dwellings needed insulation inspections, but geez, it's a freaking shed... lol

And the pathetic thing is, there is no electrical inspection because the homeowner did the electric himself. In this area, if you do the work yourself on your own property, some of it does not need inspection... lol

Looks like I have to get land near Kyrat......

But honestly, what would the impact be on me and the community if a person like me, bought a piece of land far from the city, beside a lake and built a log cabin there? Is not like I would stay there permanently, more of a place when I visit USA. Although at times I do feel like migrating there simply due to my hobbies such as the forest there.I am a n Asian of mixed blood. My late grandfather is a Brit. My father is mixed Brit/.Chinese. My mom is Malay. So that makes me Brichlay? I look Asian, more towards mix of Chinese and Filipino.
    Would there be any negative impact? Nope I am not talking about politics or any racial thingy, but I would not prefer a US City or a big town, what I am interested in is a place about 2 or 3 miles from a small town like Butte in Nebraska or Norris in Tennessee...such are the examples..I hope you guys do not misunderstand me due to my poor English. Sometimes i feel that to articulate is my weakness.

If I do buy land and built a small place for me,...my dream is to by a used Harley and a pick up truck. Then enjoy the area.

Your race and ethnicity wouldn't matter. But no matter what or who you are, when it comes to building a cabin near a lake or creek, you have to abide by all building regulations

Great! Thanks for the info and advises. It has always been a part of my dream to live in a log house. Thank you.

To be honest, it might. It depends on where you go. We are getting better about that but there are still pockets of folks that resist outsiders simply because they are outsiders. Around here, it probably wouldn't matter if you were purple and it certainly doesn't matter where you are from. However, some communities are simply resistant to outsiders moving in. It wouldn't matter if it were you or me.

edited....
    Last edited by sjj; 09-30-2014 at 07:13 PM.