Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Naked & Afraid Casting

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    I disagree. Very rarely will you be able to predict and or be 100% prepared for the unexpected event that will put you in a survival situation. Having the ability to focus on the survival task at hand (start a fire, find water/food, etc...) while bugs are eating you alive is something that can and should be learned. Few people have the ability "work through the pain" to complete a necessary task by staying focused on that task
    We can agree that when in a survival situation, you will encounter unexpected things. I also know from experience, that few people have the ability to work through pain, annoyances like mosquitos or leaches, extreme cold or other extreme weather.
    That wasn't the point. The point is, that the TV-show was made into a show about how big a pain mosquitos are when there are thousands of them 24/7, and you're not wearing any pants.
    Mosquitos are a pain in the *** when you're wearing pants and a shirt, but by being dressed, you could have made a fine tv-show about what you need to do in the Amazon, if you're ever in serious trouble there. How to make fire when more or less everything is wet, what to eat and how to get it, getting drinkable water, building shelter and how to get out of there.
    But in order to make "something different", they focused on being different, rather than the skills needed to survive and get out alive.

Blog Entries

Cool I gotta agree with...

...Grizz on this one. Many years ago my family and I were living in Colorado. My in-laws came up for a visit and we decided to roast some hot dogs over a small fire up in the mountains. I spotted a nice batch of Pine trees that I figured would make a great spot and we headed in. There must have been millions of "skeeters" that liked that spot as well. As soon as we got into the center of the area they attacked with a blood-thirsty vengeance. I tried to get a fire going but they were too many and too bad, we quickly left the area and moved out too a spot that was in the sun where the mosquitos didn't like. We were fully clothed and we were in Colorado...not the Amazon. We couldn't focus on anything....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I think y'all are really overthinking this program.
    Naked..........is just that no clothes to make or break you, just what mother nature gave you, no advantage at all, plus the effect of being embarrassed, self conscious......No gear.....just your will.

Afraid.....I bet they are under those circumstances.........

The is not a "How to bushcraft" program....I just helps if your are skilled.......really skilled not just "in my back yard I kick butt".

Funny how the experts kind flame out and just whine about not have the right stuff.

A real survivor makes do with what he /she has, no whining or BS....

I like the show......And it is just a show.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Right...!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I think y'all are really overthinking this program.
    Naked..........is just that no clothes to make or break you, just what mother nature gave you, no advantage at all, plus the effect of being embarrassed, self conscious......No gear.....just your will.

Afraid.....I bet they are under those circumstances.........

The is not a "How to bushcraft" program....I just helps if your are skilled.......really skilled not just "in my back yard I kick butt".

Funny how the experts kind flame out and just whine about not have the right stuff.

A real survivor makes do with what he /she has, no whining or BS....

I like the show......And it is just a show.
    You're not fooling me Hunter, you're just hoping Ruth makes an appearance!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I didn't watch the show because I thought the nudity was just a gimmick. My daughter likes the show and told me I would like it. I have watched 5 or 6 episodes and like the show.

Simple take people that think they have the skills to survive for 21 days and give them a cutting tool and a fire starter. Watch how many times people have said this ain't no joke at the end. LOL

Also, in the Amazon they had a guy tap out on the way in. A girl tap out a little into it, another guy tap out a day later. Then they brought a couple of people that had made it 21 days in some other shows and they kicked the pig and got it done.

For those that watch. What couldn't you do in your woods under the same situations? If we did an episode by episode break down what would you be willing to try on video in exactly the same situation? Errr, with clothes to a certain limit.

You need to have a very pragmatic approach to it. The first is to address your vulnerabilities. It's likely going to be cold, rain, and bugs. Shelter and fire are a must. Somebody better have a fire starter. Screw the pot or some other item. You need fire first, and hopefully a knife or machete. You'll be stone boiling your water, so you are good to go there.

Now you can sleep and won't suffer too terribly from cold, rain, and bugs. But you're going to need food. It's doubtful you'll be hunting. Gathering is typically limited. Trapping and fishing are your primary options. You will need cordage for this. Spend a good amount of time making it. Then build your net or fish baskets/trap and deploy that. Then spend the rest of your time unrelentingly setting snares and deadfall traps throughout the area. If you have to set a 100 then set a 100 and check them every day. You'll either get food or learn why you are not getting food and make the proper adjustments.

Given the variables, you need to follow that gameplan otherwise you will suffer. I've seen it on every episode, where they fail to get fire or lack food acquisition skills, and they suffer terribly as a result.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

And if your location doesn't have stone? If I were going to be on that show my first priority would be choosing who else is on there with me. The second priority would be to make sure she's blind. If she's not already she will be when she looks at me. Soooo. Then my third priority would be where we are supposed to survive. I'll choose what I take once I know where I'm going. Tools can be made from natural materials as can fire. But location is key to what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And if your location doesn't have stone? If I were going to be on that show my first priority would be choosing who else is on there with me. The second priority would be to make sure she's blind. If she's not already she will be when she looks at me. Soooo. Then my third priority would be where we are supposed to survive. I'll choose what I take once I know where I'm going. Tools can be made from natural materials as can fire. But location is key to what you need.
    Only a rare location would not have stones. And if it doesn't have stones, then hopefully there will be lots of rainwater or fresh streams or groundwater sources. The environment they send you to must have SOMETHING that allows you to acquire safe drinking water, otherwise there's no point in letting someone send you there.

Where I'm from for example, there is no water. If you happened to be dumped off in this landscape with no resources you would simply die. There is no digging or searching for hidden pools. And good luck chopping open a cactus and drinking whatever is inside. It is ultimately about your specific location, because the devil is in the details.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

The only stone in my AO is limestone unless it was brought in. Not all locations are created equal.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool It seems to me...

It seems to me that Discovery is only interested in going to the next survival extreme, not really teaching anything. As far as Arizona's water situation, Cody Lundin has pointed that out quite well in "Dual Survival." So who's got the "stones" to find water?....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin