Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Do You Practice Survival and Use You Survival Kits?

Great! I can see that a lot here do practice in their own ways, a a few live it.!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Great! I can see that a lot here do practice in their own ways, a a few live it.!
    LOL....Looks like your thread did kinda go down the trail....but it was a good one and interesting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sorry about the derail Tokwan.

To answer your original question. I practice things like primitive snares, shelters, and fire starting when I'm camping or exploring. My main gear is my survival kit. I do have a mini kit but I don't get in it often.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Hey hey hey..since when is there a need for an apology? This is the fun part..it either got derailed or hijack no matter what..it will come back on the right track sooner or later...we are here for a good time..!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Hey, Winter. Any idea why the no-see-ums are less vicious that close to the shore? Last time I tried to camp on the beach was on Dania beach 29 years ago and they were vicious. I grew up on skin-so-soft and no-see-um nets on the tents. We'd get lit up at Jonathan Dickinson and Sebastian Inlet.

What do you mean when you the no see ums are less vicious?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Sorry about the derail Tokwan.

To answer your original question. I practice things like primitive snares, shelters, and fire starting when I'm camping or exploring. My main gear is my survival kit. I do have a mini kit but I don't get in it often.
    Our practices are almost alike

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Hey, Winter. Any idea why the no-see-ums are less vicious that close to the shore? Last time I tried to camp on the beach was on Dania beach 29 years ago and they were vicious. I grew up on skin-so-soft and no-see-um nets on the tents. We'd get lit up at Jonathan Dickinson and Sebastian Inlet.
    Not sure. I'm sure wind has something to do with it. Maybe the salt air?

You and I may have different species of tiny flying gnats with varied habitat preferences.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I tend to try out things while out for a hike or while camping. I've also tried new toys or techniques at home. I'd hate to "test" something for the first time when I need it the most.

Wilderness Traveller Brooks Range's Avatar

I'm leaving for a 2 1/2 month Alaska survival trip Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ... 3. Good luck with that. Just don't jeopardize any SAR personnel in the process.
    No SAR was needed.

There is much to be said for good luck and skill.

I think this guy qualifies as having completed his practice session . PRETTY AWESOME !!http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...-nwt-1.3365743

Interesting, thanks for posting......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27