Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Practice Survival and Use You Survival Kits?

I "practice Survival" on a daily basis. I use my "survival equipment" on a regular basis. This means a lifestyle few are willing to embrace. I use not just the Automobile but my Bicycle and I walk as well. I cook from the food I store meaning I use the meats, vegetables and fruits I can up on a daily basis. I eat the critters I hunt and trap and the fish I catch. I take regular camping trips equipment is repaired or replaced as needed. I make most of my own gear. Instead of spending several hundred dollars for panniers for the bicycle I made two pair from discarded square plastic cat litter buckets. My bike came from a junk pile it just needed a couple of cables and some clean up. This has saved me a lot money and enables me to spend more time in the bush.
    Last edited by FSR; 06-27-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Wilderness Traveller Brooks Range's Avatar

Default I'm leaving for a 2 1/2 month Alaska survival trip Monday.

I am not bringing any food but will rely on foraging, hunting and fishing.

It won't let me post a link for some reason. (see Rick's comment, below)

I hope to post updates to my journal if I can find places where there is coverage.
    Last edited by Brooks Range; 06-27-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: clarification

1. You aren't allowed to post a link to any site you have an interest in. 2. You can't post links or pics until you have 10 posts and 3. Good luck with that. Just don't jeopardize any SAR personnel in the process.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Range View Post
    I am not bringing any food but will rely on foraging, hunting and fishing.

It won't let me post a link for some reason. You can find it on the following page if anyone cares to post a clickable link for it.

I hope to post updates to my journal if I can find places where there is coverage.
    Let use know how it is going when you can.
    Good luck.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Fair enough. I guess if people are interested someone can post a link.

Wilderness adventure invariably involves some risk but I've done a lot of planning and have wilderness experience. Barring bad luck I hope to avoid SAR.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Hm. Hope you have fishing and hunting license. What exactly are you going to be foraging? Since we are still in early summer, nothing is ripe yet. What will you be hunting and in which Game Management Unit since I believe there are no openings right now.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Default 1stimestar...

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Hm. Hope you have fishing and hunting license. What exactly are you going to be foraging? Since we are still in early summer, nothing is ripe yet. What will you be hunting and in which Game Management Unit since I believe there are no openings right now.
    I have a hunting and fishing license, harvest tickets, duck stamp, copy of the fishing and hunting regulations etc. I've got a page listing what I'm taking and my preparations but...

Initially I won't be hunting anything because no hunting seasons are open yet as you know. At first I'll be primarily eating fish, I'm sure. Salmon berries should be ripening already. I'll be setting a crab trap as well. I think grouse, ptarmigan and deer season opens August 1 and waterfowl season September 1 although the duck regs aren't out yet.

As for plants, I don't know that ecosystem so I'll be largely be winging it with the help of guidebooks, except for berries I already know.

I have a hunting and fishing license, harvest tickets, duck stamp, copy of the fishing and hunting regulations etc. I've got a page listing what I'm taking and my preparations but...

Initially I won't be hunting anything because no hunting seasons are open yet as you know. At first I'll be primarily eating fish, I'm sure. Salmon berries should be ripening already. I'll be setting a crab trap as well. I think grouse, ptarmigan and deer season opens August 1 and waterfowl season September 1 although the duck regs aren't out yet.

As for plants, I don't know that ecosystem so I'll be largely be winging it with the help of guidebooks, except for berries I already know.
    Where are you going? I had just assumed from your name and stated location you were going to be here in the Interior or in the Brooks Range.

Good luck - have fun - stay safe.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

1stimestar, I'll be in the Admiralty Island area.

crashdive123, I appreciate that, thanks!

Ah ok. Cool. Have fun, take pictures.

Yep forgive me for my original skepticism. I'm sure you understand, we get lots of "running off to the wilderness" post but people in general who posts those, don't actually do it.

I remember you from the Alaska Outdoors Directory from when you did your Brooks Range trip. I think that's where I know you from anyways. So impressive.

Here is the link to Buck's trip plan.
    http://bucktrack.com/Alaska_Survival_Trip.html

Looking forward to following your journey Buck. Will you have a Spot for us to follow? If anyone can do it, you can!

Sounds like a fun trip. I've lived in SEAK for 25 yrs or so. If you have any specific questions, ask away. I sent you a friend request on Facebook.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Thanks 1stimestar. I don't have a Spot. I was going to buy a card for my Iridium sat. phone but it looks like there will be cell coverage at certain spots so I'm going to go that route.

Hey Winter, what foods would you try to collect at low tide? I guess paralytic shellfish poisoning can be an issue which is something I had to research being an inlander. Any other SEAK specific advice I should know?

Yea there was just an outbreak of paralytic shellfish poisoning last week.

If you want to read one of the best trip reports of all times, here it is lol.

http://sectionhiker.com/alone-across...y-buck-nelson/

You couldn't know but that's his post.

http://www.Bucktrack.com
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hey Winter, what foods would you try to collect at low tide? I guess paralytic shellfish poisoning can be an issue which is something I had to research being an inlander. Any other SEAK specific advice I should know?
    Well, I can tell ya this. The bear on Admiralty are known to be fairly aggressive. It's probably not the greatest place to solo camp.

Best thing is avoid bivalves and eat snails and sea cucumbers.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Beach-vittles
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...sion-Cucumbers

I am eating salmonberries in the yard already so you are gonna have them all summer long and 2 harvests. Blueberries in late July.

For crabbing shallow water it is best to find more brackish type waters such as lagoons and inlets and off either side of larger creek and river outlet to the ocean.

This stuff, when you find it, is pretty amazing. It salts your foods for you.
    http://www.seaweedsofalaska.com/spec...?SeaweedID=156

Chicken of the woods and a few chantrels are around.
    Last edited by Winter; 06-28-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Hey Winter that's some great information. Really good to hear from a local person with real-world experience.

Are there similar species of snails/limpets in tidal pools in SEAK and if so, are they all edible and relatively safe from PSP?

I'll have to look for sea cucumbers and that sea asparagus. I was hoping salmonberries were ripening already, it's good to get a confirmation of it.

Thanks again for your expertise.

There are so many china hats that you won't need another snail source. There are other species but I'm not really sure if they are snails of bivalves.

You can load up on cukes from your kayak. Matter of fact, cukes and beach asparagus would go great together. Cukes are really tasty slightly browned over the fire.

Of course, Labrador tea is everywhere and patches of peppermint and spearmint are around.

I did a 14 day trip last November to Etolin Island (4 islands South of Admiralty) and there were porcupines. We don't have any down here in Ketchikan. I understand they are a good eating. Open season all year and no limit, but they are cute. We did not kill them.

Camp close to the beach, like less than 50 ft off of it and you will have a lot fewer no-see-um's.

Sorry if you already know some of this, but I don't know what you know.

It's gonna rain so bring a container that you can rig up as a cistern and save all the hassle of water collecting and purification.