Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car cover as tarp shelter

Default Car cover as tarp shelter

Greetings folks from Turkey!

I'm sorry for my english...
    Turkey tarp shelter discontinued and no one is interested in this issue, but there are similar fabric.
    New entries to the search and found the car tarps. Do you think it appropriate for work?

tarps are a construction staple just about everywhere. Have you tried ordering them on the internet? Ask some contractors where they purchase theirs. I would think car tarps would be 1) a little heavy and 2) preshaped to fit a vehicle.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I bet the tyvek type car covers are quite light, though they certainly wouldn't be the most cost conscious option.

A compact car is probably about the large end of an ideal, lowish profile improvised shelter size.

No reason it couldn't be an option, though it maybe fits the 'things to use if you have one handy' category, such as adapting to an emergency.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I can understand why tarps would be getting scarce in Turkey at this point in time.

My secondary choice might be the rolls of Tyvek used for house wrap during construction work. I do not know if that is available where you are.

As for the car cover???

In a survival situation one does not turn up his nose at any adequate shelter. Press whatever is available into service.

While the car cover might be restrictive as a shelter it could also provide a fine weather-proof roof for an improvised shack.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm in the wrong idea.

Then you give me an idea, the fabric should I choose?
    Have them in your country.
    - 100% Polyethylene tarpaulin 180gr/m2
    - 100% Polyester tarpaulin (fabric umbrella) 210gr/m2
    No other ...

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Like Hunter, I keep a selection of the blue and camo colored poly-tarps in my vehicles. They are intended for use as emergency awnings or to extend the protected area around the vehicle if I am forced to work out of the car/suv during an emergency. They are cheap and available everywhere over here.

They are also heavy and bulky.

When I was packing and hiking I used small tents made for that purpose. Made from rip-stop waterproof polyester fabric, they give good protection and weigh less than a kilo.

I have one backpack tent that has been in service for 30 years and still serves the purpose.

I do not know if you can acquire those locally in Turkey but you can probably get them from the internet if you are willing to pay the price.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Very heavy tarpaulin.. it's a very bad move ... But I find Tyvek roll.
    Better than others? I use the 4 seasons?

I think you guys are making it too complicated for someone who is ESL.

Lonelywilderness,
    two things you need in a tarp.
    1- waterproof
    2- durable

I do not know the difference between polyester and polythylene tarps, but take the thicker one if both are waterproof and are your only options.

The thicker one will last longer and will be more durable. It may be heavier, but I'd take the increased weight for increased durability.

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    I think you guys are making it too complicated for someone who is ESL.

Lonelywilderness,
    two things you need in a tarp.
    1- waterproof
    2- durable

I do not know the difference between polyester and polythylene tarps, but take the thicker one if both are waterproof and are your only options.

The thicker one will last longer and will be more durable. It may be heavier, but I'd take the increased weight for increased durability.
    That's possible....but
    We have no idea of use.
    WE have no idea of what is available.
    We have no idea of cost...if available.
    Car covers?

http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/carports
    Are there Walmart's in Turkey

Gotta have a starting point.

Post #5, he stated what he has available and gave two options. I have no idea what the difference of the two items he mentioned are, but he said they are the only 2 available. In that case, if both are waterproof, I would go with the more durable as stated. If of the 2, one cut at an appropriate size for a small tent or shelter size is too heavy to carry, well that leaves only one option really.

I don't know if he has access to amazon or walmart or what other stores that carry similar items or their financial situation, I'm only going off what they said was available to them.

Personally, I would never use tyvek (the brand) because it is obnoxiously loud if it's not 100% secure. Other brands aren't as bad, however none of them are actually water proof, only water resistant. Standing water can seep through. Obviously emergency situations I won't be picky, but given the option it wouldn't be my first choice.

Still be nice to see some details.......
    Carry on.

hunter63 No WalMart in Turkey.

Jpgreco You're right, but I do not want a heavy product.
    Would you recommend Tyvek?

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you mentioned it...

Don't understand what you're asking but here's my opinion: If all you have is a car cover for a shelter and you need a shelter during a true survival situation; Then use it!

However, if you're asking what type of car cover you should buy for an emergency shelter I would never do that! Neither one would be my answer....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Polyurethane fabric I found.
    Is this okay?

Lonely, beggars can't be choosy. Language is a barrier here for sure.

If you have a few different options, pick what works best for your specific needs. The tarp should be waterproof. Then whatever weight you can comfortably carry is completely up to you. What I can carry may not be what you can carry, so if you want something that is not heavy, choose something that is not heavy. Since I don't know all of the options available to you, I can't make suggestions on alternatives, so you should focus on the basics of waterproof and ability to carry. I do not know why you need a tarp. If it is for immediate use, then anything will work. If it is for future use, then find what best fits your needs and abilities.

In an emergency, I would use tyvek. If I had options, I would not use it because it is a very noisy material. I would use several large trash bags before I would use tyvek given the choice. Though tyvek is very durable. This is assuming the tyvek you are talking about is manufactured by the Dupont Company and is the same material we have here in the USA.

Hunter, we're on the same page. No details means limited suggestions. I just go with what people give me and he gave 2 options, so between them, I would take the heavier duty material.

JPG....agreed....just trying to get some more information.....

Believe me, this subject in Turkey do not have a single explanation and review... So, I'm trying to snatch more information. To introduce in the country should be familiar with. Very helpful and gave right answers. Even if you are too heavy like I need to choose the best ones. Thanks...

As I said earlier, it's used in construction so you should be able to find it. I didn't mean construction here. I meant in Turkey. There are manufacturers and importers galore.

http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/TR/tarpaulin.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here is a site that might give you some ideas and stores to look in. http://www.myturkishadventure.com/tu...ent-shops.html

This site lists some youth hostiles that might be able to provide you with some information. http://www.turizm.net/turkey/tips/camping.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel