Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammock?

Default Hammock?

I already know I'm going to be getting one, and I've seen a couple that are nice. The name I've seen thrown around is the Hennessy Hammock. I've seen them, they look nice but it's a bit to much. I'm just looking for a sling that I can hang my own rain cover and insect tent over. If anyone has any good suggestions I'd be glad to hear them. My budget is a little slim but I can save up.

Eno Hammocks sounds like something you might be looking for. Type that in google and it should bring up plenty of hits for you. REI sells them also.

I got my hammock at Walmart and it has worked as well as any lower-priced hammock I've had.
    I have a Hennesey and it is great. The wormanship is very good.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Those Eno Hammocks are nice. Defiantly something to save up on. What do you all think about mesh hammocks?

The only thing about hammocks is when it gets a little cool you might want a pad or something to keep you back side warm. I also have a Hennessy it is the Evader model and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Disorder View Post
    Those Eno Hammocks are nice. Defiantly something to save up on. What do you all think about mesh hammocks?
    I used a mesh hammock for many years. Their best use was lounging around and having an adult beverage or two and then taking a nap. Their worst use was spending the night in them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I used a mesh hammock for many years. Their best use was lounging around and having an adult beverage or two and then taking a nap. Their worst use was spending the night in them.
    I've spent the night in one in my backyard, then again, it's horribly humid around here all year. I don't think it'd be that comfortable when it got colder though.

I should clarify - I'm talking about the ones that ball up to about the size of a softball, not the larger ones which can be quite comfortable.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, it did to. It was my brothers hunting hammock. He balled it up with the bug net and kept it in a beanie because he lost the bag for it.

Default Eno doublenest

HAMMOCK.jpg here i am in my eno double nest today. hopefully the pic will load. i love this hammock. depending on your size. i suggest the eno double or single nest or a byer travel lite. i use climbing webbing, rapeling rings, and caribiners for my setup. a lot of people use whoopie slings for their setup though. if you need to know what a whoopie sling is got the hammock forums they are super helpful. i know *gasp* other forums. also the DIY section is awesome. there is a thread on how to make a hammock out of a tablecloth for supercheap.

also the eno hammocks have an attached storage bag to stuff it into. it has cinch straps to compress to a size just slighly bigger than a softball.

Quote Originally Posted by SQWERL View Post
    also the eno hammocks have an attached storage bag to stuff it into. it has cinch straps to compress to a size just slighly bigger than a softball.
    I was actually looking at their Pronest, it's almost 12 ounces lighter then the single nest version.

that pronest looks awesome. they didn't have that one out yet when i got my double. i think some of the weight issue with the other hammocks that eno sells might be the original carabiners that come with them are the heavy duty ones you get at lowes. i just took those off and got a set on nice light weight climbing wire gate biners from rei. i'm not a fan of the slap straps or the tree straps that they sell. it's easier to use the climbing webbing.

It's possible, but on either end that's my goal. It's as lightweight as it gets without using a mesh hammock. It's not that expensive but I still have to save up, it's hard to save money.

I have a Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock that I really like. I'm pretty sure I paid some where around or a little less than $15 for it. But that was a couple of years ago. Now, they may be up to $30-35?
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I'll give it a look next time I go into town, they carry those at the sporting goods store, I think.

Grand Trunk.... Its inexpensive, very well made, durable and strong enough for my overweight arse!

With a DIY underquit and a nice bag... winter camping is even feasible.

It may take some getting used to at first, but you will find the quality of sleep in a hammock is difficult to surpass!

Ive got a few hammock and hammock related vids in my tube channel.

HTH,
    Andrew

If it stays like this during the winter from now on then I won't worry about it. It's not dropped below 40 and it's half way through December. Actually until recently it's been 70 out during the day and high 50's during the night.

the byer ultra lite is at academy sports for $20.

My experience with hammocks is fairly limited. I have only slept in two (one for over 30 nights). I have lain in a couple of others. The ones I have slept in, I made myself. Hammocks are very easy to make. As said earlier, Hammock Forums is a valuable resource. The first hammock I made, I made too small. The second one, I followed the instructions for a DIY Hennesy, and made it a little longer. That made all the difference in the world. A friend of mine has an ENO. He likes it, but I think it is too small for me (I'm 5'11"), I don't lay as flat as in mine. I also don't like the ENO straps, but they are easily replaced.

If you are tight on cash, you need to make your own. It is probably the easiest thing to make.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by finallyME; 12-14-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee