Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Innocent" knives, and front waistband carry

Projectile knives are also called ballistic knives. It's where the blade can be shot out of the handle.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks Rick. Sorry 'bout that.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

@ Crash - I've just never seen one. I didn't even know they made them. But then, I don't get out in the world much. (shrug)

@ Lowkey - No sweat. No blood, no foul.

I saw a projectile knife on TV that sucker shot the blade almost 30 feet!!!

I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of a ballistic knife.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

I know I always carry a sheath knife everywhere aside from airports, it's my leuku I made a while back but for the past three year I have always open carried a sheath knife with a blade no less than 5 inches long. That being said this is in everyday normal life and I don't get looks and have only ever had a minor problem once and that was in Chicago with a greyhound bus security personnel. Thankfully because I am a full time knife maker there is a loop hole in the law about "transportation for business purposes" which I have only had to use once. But no I almost never have a problem. I think a lot of it is to do with attitude if you don't treat it like a big deal most other people won't either. Just my 2 cents.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

The "projectile knife" refers to a knife whose blade can be propelled out of the handle by a strong spring. The Russian special forces at one time used/carried just such a knife, losely based in a German parachute knife of WWII vintage, as I recall. Thirty or forty years ago you could by them mail order from magazines.

Stab somebody first, then push the button to shoot it. OUCH!
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

There are some YouTube vids on them. I had to take a look. Not something I think I'd be interested in. Odd that I had never seen them before.

You could always go with the WASP Injection Knife.

On second thought.....nah.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Now that one I've seen. That was made for divers if I remember right. Shark protection.

Those ballistic knives look like an accident waiting to happen. I dont really get the point of them... Knives are tools first, weapons as a last resort. Thats why i carry a 45. Id rather send 230 grains of man stopper at an attacker than some mostly useless spring loaded blade...

http://youtu.be/CsqClktIKZQ
    Heres the ballistic knife in action
    -Jonesy

i am known in my area for carrying several knives a good bit of the time. but i'm known as retired gunsmith whittler wood carver and a knife trader. the knife i use most i carry in an unobtrusive horizontal sheath. it rides nicely under the t-shirt i generally have on and in many year's of carrying I've never been asked about it. other is clipped to my pant's pocket and sometimes i carry a small whittler in my pocket. so far gtg no matter where I've gone was i ever bothered. i made the sheath myself and it has a sewn area where the butt of knife set's and then since i want it available i sewed a piece of paracord to hold the front of the folder in place so wouldn't lose it. i melted the cord to hold the button actually a thumb nut off an old uniform post in place. it's never failed me being lost or dropped accidentally.

There are a couple of places to get horizontal folding knife sheaths. One is Moore Maker Knives, the other may be Big Bend Saddlery out in Alpine Texas. I have used a couple of them myself.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

I always have a leatherman wave and a kershaw leek,never had a look but many have asked where they could get the kershaw.....people you would never expect....
    Survival happens daily.

I wear a kabar tdi self defence knife,it has a sturdy belt clip stays fairly concealed while easy to get at,am not sure of legalities havent had any problems yet,also carry leatherman charge and a ckrt mini tigh breaker assisted opening.depending on where am going in city also carry kabar mini hunter on belt
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418343639.374009.jpg
    This is tdi knife and clip,put my zippo beside for size comparison
    Knife laws around here are dumb assisted opening are legal butterfly knives and switchblades arent.
    As to carrying a folder it more or less depends on the officer and what kind of mood he is in,about 5 yrs ago i had a gerber paraframe confiscated last year was carrying my tigh breaker assisted open in exactly same way officer didnt even look twice,wasnt wearing tdi that day though

It may just be me but I carry a decent pocket knife for a tool and a gun for protection. Thats all I can can contribute.

EB

As far as an "innocent" knife, I've never had a problem with my SAK Pioneer.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

When mixing it up with a shark we use the butt of the knife (ka-Bar) to bang him on the tip of his tender nose. Poof he is gone......stab one with the tip of the blade and it is a different story......I found out the hard way. The shark cant figure out the nose punch but he for damn sure knows what to do when he gets stabbed. I carry 4 knives.....each one has a use.....one for vet med, one for people, one folding box cutter and a SAK. Love them all and would carry more if I could find a reason to do so.