Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to a Better Bolt Action

Default Upgrading to a Better Bolt Action

For the last five years, my main bolt action rifle has been a .308 Remington Model 788 that's older then I am. My dad gave it to me when he was downsizing into a smaller house. As much as I like the rifle, it is a tack driver, it's time has come and gone.

This rifle is going to be used for Deer hunting, boar hunting, and target shooting. I want to spend around 500 dollars and have been fancying the .308 Ruger American. It's gotten good reviews and I was able to handle one recently, and enjoyed firing it.

Does anyone have experience with the Ruger American? If so, what do you think about this idea?

I'm curious if the 788 does the job why change? I have a ruger 77 in 6mm Remington and find it to be a nice rife. The ruger American should be a good rifle based on ruger's reputation in the industry. I also have a 788 in .223.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I also question the statement "Its time has come and gone". Good rifles, especially good bolt action rifles have no expiration date.

I have one rifle with a 1916 date stamped on the receiver, a custom Mauser dated from the 1930s, a Mosin Nagant left over from WW2, and a fine shooting Enfield dated 1957.

Spend about half of that $500 on a good scope, do a good refinish job on the stock, or order a new stock from Bishop, and you will have a better rifle than most of the plastic stocked wonders on the market today.

Fact is, you are retiring a rifle that regularly sells used at auction for $500-600 and replacing it with a rifle that sells new retail for less than $350.

The Ruger American is a fine rifle, but is the low end starter gun of the Ruger lineup. You will not be making a step upward until you add some cash to that $500 and step up to an M77
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-07-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have to agree. If the Mosin was good enough for Klavdiya Kalugina then it's way more than good enough for me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The mosin worked for Simo Hayha too.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

wanting a new rifle is something I understand, retiring a rifle I do not understand

I have three questions for you Adventure Wolf , 1. define " a better bolt action rifle" 2. what is it you don't like about this rifle 3. why would you replace a trusted " tack driver" in a good caliber, for a rifle you may not be as proficient with.

You do know you can upgrade that rifle I do believe there are synthetic stocks available for it.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I'm not the best gun guy. I'm a weekend warrior, but let me explain this the best I can. I will also add that this rifle was bought second hand by my father from a previous owner and I don't know where the original owner obtained it. Here's the issues I have:

I laid the rifle on the table for a few days, because I had trouble with something bothering my now ex-girlfriends horses at night. I think she sat something down on top of the rifle, because the front sight is a little bent, which means the rifle is out of commission for the time being.

I don't know what's wrong with the bolt-action, but every rifle I've fired had a smooth pull. The action on my rifle, it's hard to describe, it's not a sticking, it feels like the slide is stiff (if that makes sense), I had a more experience shooter take a look at the rifle and he couldn't figure out what was wrong with the bolt, but agreed that it was "stiff". Both he and I attempted to clean the rifle and make adjustments, but the problem wouldn't go away. He suggested that its warped, but I don't have enough experience to say.

The trigger guard is moderately damaged, and if I have any major work done on it, I would like to have that repaired as well.

I love the rifle, don't get me wrong, but if I replace the stock, get the sight and bolt fixed, replace the trigger guard and add a scope, it's just cheaper to buy the new rifle in the midterm. As I learn more about guns, I might use the my 788 as a rebuild project, but that could be a couple years down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Wolf View Post
    I'm not the best gun guy. I'm a weekend warrior, but let me explain this the best I can. I will also add that this rifle was bought second hand by my father from a previous owner and I don't know where the original owner obtained it. Here's the issues I have:

I laid the rifle on the table for a few days, because I had trouble with something bothering my now ex-girlfriends horses at night. I think she sat something down on top of the rifle, because the front sight is a little bent, which means the rifle is out of commission for the time being.

I don't know what's wrong with the bolt-action, but every rifle I've fired had a smooth pull. The action on my rifle, it's hard to describe, it's not a sticking, it feels like the slide is stiff (if that makes sense), I had a more experience shooter take a look at the rifle and he couldn't figure out what was wrong with the bolt, but agreed that it was "stiff". Both he and I attempted to clean the rifle and make adjustments, but the problem wouldn't go away. He suggested that its warped, but I don't have enough experience to say.

The trigger guard is moderately damaged, and if I have any major work done on it, I would like to have that repaired as well.

I love the rifle, don't get me wrong, but if I replace the stock, get the sight and bolt fixed, replace the trigger guard and add a scope, it's just cheaper to buy the new rifle in the midterm. As I learn more about guns, I might use the my 788 as a rebuild project, but that could be a couple years down the line.
    I can see wanting another rifle, but personally I would fix what i had first then invest in more toys just my 2 cents
    Looking at gun parts corp you can replace the bolt and trigger group for around 200 bucks ( if there in stock) a synthetic stock is another 100 bucks , leaves you 200 or there about for a scope .
    Last edited by welderguy; 06-08-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

If you are "not the best gun guy" and only a "weekend warrior" then take our advice as seasoned shooters that wish we had kept some of those old rifles we traded off during an "upgrade"!!!

It does not matter where your Dad got the rifle or now many people owned it before you got it!

Your rifle is not "warped" it simply needs some TLC, a close inspection to insure the scope mount screw caps are not protruding and binding the bolt, a bit of polishing and what sounds like about $10 worth of parts.

Get a scope and mounts and keep shooting.

One must remember that there has been a long standing 30 year suspicion that the 788 was dropped because it shot better and was more accurate and cost half the price of the M700 and Remington could not stand the embarrassment.

The 788 action is still a favorite of the benchrest shooters because it was so strong, so ridged and had the fastest lock time of any rife on the market. The Olympic team was building their international big bore competition rifles on the 788 action for years, back when we were winning those matches.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-08-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    If you are "not the best gun guy" and only a "weekend warrior" then take our advice as seasoned shooters that wish we had kept some of those old rifles we traded off during an "upgrade"!!!

It does not matter where your Dad got the rifle or now many people owned it before you got it!

Your rifle is not "warped" it simply needs some TLC, a close inspection to insure the scope mount screw caps are not protruding and binding the bolt, a bit of polishing and what sounds like about $10 worth of parts.

Get a scope and mounts and keep shooting.

One must remember that there has been a long standing 30 year suspicion that the 788 was dropped because it shot better and was more accurate and cost half the price of the M700 and Remington could not stand the embarrassment.

The 788 action is still a favorite of the benchrest shooters because it was so strong, so ridged and had the fastest lock time of any rife on the market. The Olympic team was building their international big bore competition rifles on the 788 action for years, back when we were winning those matches.
    If this is what you think is best, then I will take this route. Thank you.

Before the front sight was bent, my Model 788 could put together very good groupings. I sort of dreaded putting in the locker for a few years.

A gunsmith could install a new front sight for $50 or less including the labore.

Have you looked at the Mossberg MVP in .308? It's a nice rifle, really good trigger and takes standard mags (PMag)
    I know what hunts you.

Where the heck have you been Sarky? 'Bout time you showed up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

AWW, did you miss me? Just life getting in the way of things. I think I have a handle on it now, At least I hope so.
    I know what hunts you.

Well - good to see you back.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by SMLEGuy View Post
    A gunsmith could install a new front sight for $50 or less including the labore.
    The 788 sight goes on with two 6/48 screws. It is a huge chunk of metal 3/8" wide, an inch tall and nearly 2" long. Some had a dovetail for a Williams type bead, but most were solid with a thick metal blade.

I have not figured out how one would get bent in the first place. I would think the screws would break before that sight bent, but who knows?

I keep two or three in the parts rack for using on sporterized surplus guns. I used to take them off 788 rifles when fitting scopes, because the sights were so tall they got in the way of most scopes and the rear had to be removed, so the customer would want the front removed too. Numrich sells them for a few bucks each and anyone that owns a screwdriver can put them on.

Sarky I find the Mossberg a gun with great features but VERY ammo sensitive. Find what it likes and it is amazingly accurate but vary the charge by 1/10 grain powder and the group is blown, and I mean scattered! Mine will shoot >1/2"@100 with its favorite load but is lucky to keep factory stuff on a pie plate at 100.

That might be just my rifle, but it got my attention when I shot the first box of factory through it to get new brass to reload.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I keep two or three in the parts rack for using on sporterized surplus guns. I used to take them off 788 rifles when fitting scopes, because the sights were so tall they got in the way of most scopes and the rear had to be removed, so the customer would want the front removed too.
    I second this notion. I have personally never seen a 788 with both a scope and iron sights. Their usually one way or the other.

The 788 sight goes on with two 6/48 screws. It is a huge chunk of metal 3/8" wide, an inch tall and nearly 2" long. Some had a dovetail for a Williams type bead, but most were solid with a thick metal blade.
    I have no idea! That girl could break anything. Anything. Usually small things. She's was constantly dropping stuff. She was one of those people that couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time. She could break anything, including my heart...

I think part of that problem is the barrel twist. I don't know why they wouldn't go with a 1-7 twist.
    I know what hunts you.

Fix up that rifle! It My Dad had one it was one of the best rifles of all times. When he died the rifle vanished. I wish I had that rifle back.