Thread: Looking for Survival Subsistence hunters / fishers / trappers for Documentary

Exclamation Looking for Survival Subsistence hunters / fishers / trappers for Documentary

Hey all,

My name is Lee and I'm a producer for VICE media's new online food channel.

I'm currently looking for survival and/or subsistence hunters (ideally in the California / West Coast region) to give us a introduction into the lifestyle and the specifics of hunting your game of choice.

We're planning several episodes, each about hunting / trapping / catching a different kind of game, so there are a few slots we're looking to fill.

If this is something you'd be interested in, or you know someone who might, I'd sure appreciate a few moments of your time to explain the project further and learn more about your life.

Please don't hesitate to contact me through the website or by responding to this thread and we'll work out a way to talk.

Thanks again! Happy hunting!

Lee

Thanks Vice for posting and good luck in your search. If anyone is interested click on Vice's name and then click on Send Email.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good luck with your talent search Vice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Y'all know that real hunting, fishing, and trapping.... is really long periods of time....sitting or walking.... mixed in with a couple minutes of extreme excitement, followed by a lot of hard, bloody, dirty work.......Right?

Good luck on your search.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Otherwise, they would just call it "catching", right?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well , there are still folks in the world will ask when you return from hunting........"What did you catch?"

going to california looking for people to film regarding "hunting / trapping / catching a different kind of game" is like going to walmart to buy your cameras, you can find something that will do the job "ok" but you wont find the best there is

Find a different state.

Given that the premise of the show is "hunting, trapping, fishing," for "subsistence, preferable in California, " I suggest that the VICE producers look first very closely at the Calif. Fish & Game laws regarding hunting, fishing, and trapping, and the Calif. Penal Code regarding firearms, for both residents and non-residents.

The laws, regulations, restrictions, and rules are myriad... and complicated.

Of course many scenes can be faked, which is the watchword of Show Biz, but it seems to me that the desired audience would be able to determine that almost immediately.

I'm well aware that the production facilities existing in California would help in reducing costs of shooting, and going out-of-state on location is more expensive, but it seems to me a different state, more friendly to the subject matter, might be in order.

Just my thoughts.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

To be believable, please update your account!

Actually, those posting on TV opportunities are checked out so he was legit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_6082696.html

Is there legal subsistence hunting and fishing in Cal.?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Like all other states H&F is legal only in season and when pursed with legal methods according to law.

That is why none of these shows are true "reality" TV.

The only one I have seen that comes close is the one in Alaska where the Caucasian man is married to the Native American woman. Their tribe has subsistence rights and during the filming you will never see the man touch a gun, trap, fishing pole or net. He will give instructions to his girls, who can subsistence hunt legally, but he is careful to follow the laws to the letter.

There are a couple of the reality shows that are under legal scrutiny at the moment. It seems that some of the producers are learning that just because you are filming does not give you have legal exemption.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-06-2015 at 12:26 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by ottawafm View Post
    To be believable, please update your account!
    Might want to check the date....was posted about a year ago......
    Many producers do post opportunities, and is generally a FYI post, with contact information.

And they don't hang around.

Ok. I never realized that thread was that old! lol!