Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watches?

Blog Entries

Cool Funny but true...

Many years ago I was cooking at a Holiday Inn when two of the younger guys, about 18 or so, were comparing their watches. "Little Bob," as we called him, was talking to "Vance." The conversation, to the best of my memory went something like this:

Little Bob: "This is a really cool watch, it tells you the date and day of the week as well!"

Vance: "Mine does that too!"

Little Bob: "Yeah...well mine also tells you what month it is!"

Vance: "Bob, you got to be in pretty bad shape if you don't know what month it is!"

Anybody got a watch that tells you the year?...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

DW was having a tough time finding a cheapo watch for the GS, one with hands, to learn how to tell time.
    Ended up with a Timex AND a Mickey Mouse watch.....I think Mam Maw just liked the Mickey Mouse watch.......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You can't say anything bad about Mickey Mouse watches. I remember when my little brother was 5, which was a year ago almost exactly, he got a Mickey watch. You talk about happiness. I doubt most adults would be as happy to get something so simple and cheap, yet even a year later he is STILL telling people about his "Meeky Mouse clock". Something to be said about when a non-spoiled kid gets a gift, he treasures it.

Hi, I do have a watch that tells the year..its a Casio Protrek 250T. Been using it for the past 3 years and it has been good to me. I like this watch as its Solar (well..there is still the battery that helps to store the energy).
    Anyway, I do believe that even though the watch is three years old (when my wife gave it to me as a birthday present), it still holds up. I have been wearing it everyday even when I am hiking, hunting or sea kayaking...no signs of rust. The compass is still spot on ( I live on the Equator, so its true North always), and the baro meter and the altimeter need not any adjusting for some time now. A great watch.

Don't know why watches don;t work well or last. I try to use them as pocket style watches, I also have problems with computers, cell phones, TV turning on and off all the time. I carry 2 compasses neither point in the same direction????????
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    Don't know why watches don;t work well or last. I try to use them as pocket style watches, I also have problems with computers, cell phones, TV turning on and off all the time. I carry 2 compasses neither point in the same direction????????
    Could it be your magnetic personality?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Wilderness Traveller Brooks Range's Avatar

Default I try to always carry a watch

Often people argue that they go to the wilderness to get away from such things as keeping track of the time, but I find a wristwatch very useful.

I'm one of those people with a compass on my watch band. The primary advantage is that it is always there, even if I've forgotten or broken (I've had compasses break or fail) my main compass.

Knowing the time can also be very useful for things like tracking approximate distances traveled and knowing on a cloudy day how many hours remain before dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Range View Post
    Knowing the time can also be very useful for things like tracking approximate distances traveled and knowing on a cloudy day how many hours remain before dark.
    I agree with this statement.

I always wear a analogue wrist watch which I can use as a compass should something happen to my gear. There is also a small compass on the band. Mostly though it's for telling time.

Got rid of any watch and now run on Indian time. A good friend that passed away(Blackfoot Indian) influenced my decision.
    -Jonesy

I like my simple Casio, or power up the GPS because I seldom wear a watch.

EB

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Got rid of any watch and now run on Indian time. A good friend that passed away(Blackfoot Indian) influenced my decision.
    Nothing wrong with that.......People ask me now "Don't know what time it is?"........I say , 'I can see you so it's still day time....Why?"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    About 20 years ago I bought a Swiss Army analogue watch with plain black face, minute, hour, and sweep second hand. Other than a new battery about every four years or so, it has never quit. A really rugged watch that has held up for very rough use out in the mountains and forests, plus many years of competition handgun shooting. If something were to happen to it, I'd look for another just like it. Oh, by the way, I paid about $50.00 for it at Big Five Sporting Goods in Los Angeles.

I have a "nice" watch I wear for social occasions and business meetings.

I would not be without a watch.

S.M.
    My wenger swiss army watch was about the same vintage. Never lost a beat until the battery leaked and ruined then watch. I have another one this time I use only lithium batteries, they are not supposed to leak.

Ive got a nice swiss army watch but the window where the date shows up came and got tangled up in the arms some how and screwed it up currently im wearing a Dickies watch,way i figure it their coveralls and overalls are pretty sturdy so i thought id try the watch.......so far its pretty tough,just moved on the weekend and it got beat up pretty good banging off aide off truck etc. im pretty happy with it so far especially since i wS gifted it from my nephew for some work i did on one of his mountain bikes.free free free works the best for me lol.ive also got a g shock frogman but i shattered the glass and havent gotten around to getting it fixed.
    D

I haven't worn a watch for years. The last one I had was a belt-loop hanging thing. Don't even know who made it. There are three or four in a box in my desk drawer. The others are Seiko.
    At work there is a clock on the computer. In the shop there are bells for start, break, lunch and quitting time. If I'm on the road, work until work is done.
    There's a clock in the truck in case I'm supposed to be meeting a friend somewhere at some particular time.
    Other than that I don't care. I've lived here long enough I know the time by the light, rain or shine, or when the dinner bell in my head goes off.
    Oh, I do have an alarm clock but usually wake up about 10minutes before it goes off. Same with the cooking buzzer. Always getting out of the chair just before it goes off. Family says "you suck." LOL.

I had a friend once who couldn't wear watches. The batteries would die within a week. Same with cell phones - might make it a day on his belt. And the TV remote.
    I see someone else in this thread says the same thing. Do people give off EMPs? Some more than others?
    (J/K)
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I wear a G-Shock. As for using an analog watch for a compass. I tried it with your compass in hand. It is not very accurate. I would say that I am as accurate as knowing the time of sunrise and sunset and splitting the time and using the suns angle to the horizon.

Of course the shorter the distance the less accurate you need to be. So, it would suffice for most of us.

An excerpt from Harold Gatty's "Finding Your Way Without Map Or Compass"

I am curious about digital compass accuracy on watches. If anyone has any experience using them. I keep my compass in my pocket. I find that I will check the time many more times with my watch on my wrist than pulling my phone out to check them. Having the time and a compass on my wrist seems like it would serve the same purpose.

Also has anyone had any experience with the compasses that clip on to your watch band?
    I have a Casio with a compass and thermometer. The compass basically sucks. I got it and calibrated it which took me forever and it wS right for about a week. Then it started being off by a lot. Like 90 to 180 degrees off. I would calibrate it and it would be good for a day or two the. It would go back to wherever . It was so bad I put one of those little button compasses thAt slide on the band. Now that thing is dead on. Great for just general bearing type stuff. The thermometer is only as accurate as the initial reading g you use to calibrate it. Also if it's cold and you have several layers and the wAtch is under those your temp will be off. It's just good for ball park stuff. All in all I'm glad I didn't spend a ton Of money for the watch. I know Casio makes higher grade watches in the g-shock line that are probably dead on but for 15 bucks or so( after using kohls cash from my wife) I guess you get what you pay for. The watch does tell time anywAy. It's right twice a day about 12 hours apart.
    Last edited by Fort fireman; 07-06-2015 at 08:29 PM.

I just bought one of the Suunto compasses that slips unto the watch band. Good enough for me and my purposes.