Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watches?

I have an analog casio. I have had the Timex expidition as well. I liked it...but the batteries kept dying, so I decided to up my watch to something nicer. I have been eyeing the dive watches (any recommendations?). I love analog over digital. I just use my watch to tell time, and occasionally time something. I wear it when I sleep, so that I can see what time it is in the middle of the night. My vision is horrible, and I can't see the clock that is right next to my bed, even with the big numbers. But, I can put my watch right next to my face and see that. I bought my first real watch when I got a job at 16 so I wouldn't be late. I have never been without one since, although that isn't THAT long ago. I love the watch bands called "the band". Very comfortable.
    At one time I had a little compass on the band....until I found out it broke on something and all the fluid drained out.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

....was in the jewelry store , having the guy pot a battery in one on my watches....was looking at a display case athe there sat several very nice looking watches, some with numbers and some with out, just hands....but the ones with out the numbers were more expensive/.....le what up with that?

Well I can tell time with just hands.....so I figured that for double the money....you would just get a band....and KNOW what time it was....?

Actually being retired I no longer wear a watch, .......I do have a wall clock that tells me what DAY it is........pretty helpful........everyday seems like Saturday.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I, too, find myself wondering what day it is. I'm not certain if I'm so busy I lose track or if I just forget.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What?....What were we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Now if they made watches with GPS, that would be cool!
    Think about that for a second..........The Machine will know where you are at any moment......
    When it is light out, it's daylight, when it's dark....it's night....that's really all you need to know......been like that for thousands yet.

Was at a seminar with a bunch of engineers and every 15 minutes their watches would go off.....Then at break they would forgo coffee and donuts to argue over who's were correct........
    I didn't care....more donuts for me.

I suspect it cell phone and tablets these days/

I have a cheap coleman watch I got for a fathers day gift a few years ago does the job just fine!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I haven't worn a watch in years.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

My citizens ecodrive dive watch is on its third band. It cost a couple hundred but is easily the best watch I have ever
    Owned and no battery..

I dislike citizen watched. Very unreliable, everyone I had broke, and the customer service is non-exsistent. Also, someone mentioned GPS on watched, actually there are quite a few with GPS function. Its a bit hard to use, since you have such a small screen, but it works and works well.

Glad to see so many Timex expedition users. I love the expedition line, it just screams "outdoors". But yeah, a watch is always on my wrist like a knife always near my hand. Useful things. As for compass function everyone is talking about I was actually referring to digital, GPS guided compasses in techno watches. They ARE accurate and the one I had didn't eat battery from what I could tell. I had my battery for 3 years, which was actually the battery that came with it (which was probably old already).

I have a Swiss army watch, I wish I could wear it as a wrist watch but I stop it and kill the battery. I have converted it to a fob/pocket watch now it last about 6 months before battery change. I can't use a GPS either, it just keeps changing figures on the face plate.....
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    I have a Swiss army watch, I wish I could wear it as a wrist watch but I stop it and kill the battery. I have converted it to a fob/pocket watch now it last about 6 months before battery change. I can't use a GPS either, it just keeps changing figures on the face plate.....
    Why is that ? your magnetic personality ??
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    Why does your watch only last that long on a fresh battery? Is it a super technical watch with battery eating functions or is it bad?

A watch has been with me since before my NAVY daze...the watch I own now is a Casio digital Tough Solar Multi Band 5. It's five+ yrs old & still haven't changed the battery. It also automatically syncs time with the atomic clock in Colorado nitely...

DomC
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

Quote Originally Posted by DomC View Post
    A watch has been with me since before my NAVY daze...the watch I own now is a Casio digital Tough Solar Multi Band 5. It's five+ yrs old & still haven't changed the battery. It also automatically syncs time with the atomic clock in Colorado nitely...

DomC
    CHEERS! Me, too! I have a Casio Pathfinder -- Tough Solar, Atomic (auto time sync), model #PAW-2000T. Time, date, temperature, compass, altimeter, barometer.

Caveats: To get an accurate temperature reading, you need to remove it from your wrist and hang it in the shade. The altimeter appears to estimate altitude based on barometric pressure, therefore it's best for showing relative altitude changes -- set a base line altitude before you climb or descend. I love the barometer graph function -- rapidly falling barometric pressure gives you a good heads up on rainy weather being near.

It is tough, too. I was wearing it when that truck ran over me a few years ago. The lens/crystal cover was cracked a tad, and scratched a bit. The titanium band was also scratched up; BUT, after scrubbing off all the dried blood, skin, and hair with a tooth brush and Windex, it's still going strong!

I use an aeris f10. Chronograph, air temps, water temps, and a bunch of other stuff I don't know how to use haha

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00515...&robot_redir=1

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I always wear a plain ole Seiko Dive Watch. In fact I had to retire the one I have been wearing since about 1975 just a few months ago. I opted for the same style as has been so faithful for almost 40 years.
    I have to say the same, a great watch! Seiko is my go to brand, never let me down.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Seiko, Timex, Armitron, I just love when a non-expensive(not "cheap") watch company puts out a medium priced timepiece with a ton of functions and its built to last. Theres just a feeling of satisfaction I get from it. Even when I lay it next to one of the expensive dive master models I've got over the years it just doe sent look, or even feel, inferior in any way. Its that whole prestige-pricetag problem, where some people don't feel confident in themselves unless they can say their watch is so much better than yours that I try to avoid. (BTW I'm not saying that about anyone who simply owns more expensive brands, I'm referring to THOSE people. If you know one, you'll understand)

I don't feel that way even though it is. I'm not saying it is just thinking it is. By the way, I'm not one of THOSE people. I'm one of THESE people. We're very exclusive. We have the best watches.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah, but.......

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You're in.