Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watches?

Default Watches?

If gave a lot of thought to what I carry when I go out into the bush. Aside from the usual items I actually carry a wristwatch and I make sure I always have one. I prefer watches geared towards outdoors use, rugged one with solid build.

Now, it may not seem like a necessary item to some but I believe a good watch is really handy out in the wilderness. For instance a lot of outdoors watches have feature that are geared to helping you in the bush. Some have altimeters, and tempeture gagues, but in compasses, etc. And what about the always handy chronograph? Useful if you want to vague how long you've been away from camp, or perhaps how long one of your compainions fever has been going on, or maybe you set traps and you check them every so many hours?

I find having a good watch is actually quite helpful and since its on your wrist its out of the way. I use a Timex expedition currently, a nice rugged series with a few watches aimed for the outdoor lifestyle.

Anyone else here think having a good time piece would help them in the wild? If so, what features would you want on your watch? Believe me there are some technical watches that even tap into weather satilite systems, giving you a feed on storm fronts. So really, there are a lot of features to choose from. What's you all's opinion on it?

I always wear a plain ole Seiko Dive Watch. In fact I had to retire the one I have been wearing since about 1975 just a few months ago. I opted for the same style as has been so faithful for almost 40 years.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I wear a analog Timex expedition when I'm out roaming. Handy for finding a direction when the sun is out.
    I also where a Casio Atomic Time digital watch but mostly at work. You can get a rough bearing with it too if you have a stick and a clear sky.
    Mostly, I wear watches mostly to tell time.
    Mostly
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

I always wear a Swiss Army Analogue watch no matter where I'm at. It also displays the date in case I get amnesia....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I wear a G-Shock. As for using an analog watch for a compass. I tried it with your compass in hand. It is not very accurate. I would say that I am as accurate as knowing the time of sunrise and sunset and splitting the time and using the suns angle to the horizon.

Of course the shorter the distance the less accurate you need to be. So, it would suffice for most of us.

An excerpt from Harold Gatty's "Finding Your Way Without Map Or Compass"

It is a great pity to destroy illusions, but in this case it is necessary to do so, because the apparent simplicity of this method may give a very wrong impression as to its accuracy. There are times and places where such use of the watch will be reasonably correct, but there are others where serious errors will result from it. It is hard to understand how a rule which may be as much as 24 degrees in error has become so universally accepted as reliable.

In latitudes between 40 degrees and 60 degrees north or south of the equator at certain times of year, the results gotten by this method will be somewhat close to the truth. But the corrections necessary, even for these latitudes, make the method too complicated to be of any practical use. The only times when no correction is necessary are at sunrise and sunset on March 21 and September 23, and noon on any day, at any place where the sun is directly north or south, but then only if your watch happens to be running on accurate local time. The watch method is, of course, entirely impractical anywhere the North or South Poles, as the change in local time with distance east and west increases steadily the closer one approaches the pole.
    I am curious about digital compass accuracy on watches. If anyone has any experience using them. I keep my compass in my pocket. I find that I will check the time many more times with my watch on my wrist than pulling my phone out to check them. Having the time and a compass on my wrist seems like it would serve the same purpose.

Also has anyone had any experience with the compasses that clip on to your watch band?

I have a Timex digital that has a compass on the band....and all sorts of stuff on it.......Don't use it much but carry in the GEB, Go Everywhere Bag......that goes with me along with my BOB, GOOD, GHB, and GOVB.....stays packed all the time.

My favorite for many years was a windup Timex I got for gradation, still works but is so scratched up it's hard to read.
    So the new watch is another Timex analog, but with the indigo glow feature.....Big numbers and leather band.(service work in electrical panels isn't good with a metal watch band)

Mostly the watch is it to tell what time I can start hunting, and have to quit hunting....meet up with folks, and the indigo, W/big numbers... I can see with out glasses and see a ways in pitch dark.....useful in finding stuff.....glasses, pee jug, what ever.......

Carry one, wear one...

I do not like digging out my phone from heavy clothing, or waders, so is turned OFF when hunting unless a predetermined time is decided on.
    I do not like distractions.....texting in my boat or blind will get the phone tossed, so bring it,.. but leave it off.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The G-shock was a gift from my boss. It has a light that comes on when you hold it up like your looking at it. Two problems with that were that it would come on if you scratched your head or wiped a bead of sweat. Not cool when your trying not to be seen. Number two is that the light kinda sucks to see the hands with anyway. Luckily you can keep the light off.

The modern smart phone is a multi tool. Mine are on and silenced. If someones shoots something they can group text and you get a vibration. Based on time of day, conditions and confidence level on my set up being right. I might slip down and help them recover right away or finish my hunt and then go help them recover. But, its nice to know. Other than that I don't hunt with anyone that would text from their stand.

Suunto Altimax from Finland. Date/time/barometer(current and trending)/alarm/altimeter/stop&lap/logging/dual time. No compass function (Suunto Vector has it). I use my regular compass because I find it easier to use and more accurate, especially when using topos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Sam View Post
    Suunto Altimax from Finland. Date/time/barometer(current and trending)/alarm/altimeter/stop&lap/logging/dual time. No compass function (Suunto Vector has it). I use my regular compass because I find it easier to use and more accurate, especially when using topos.
    Sound really cool, but I'm not smart enough to use all that stuff.......I have to have the kid at the jewelry store set my digital when I change batteries.
    I'm more of a ..."Sun 4 hands high"....kinda guy.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Sound really cool, but I'm not smart enough to use all that stuff.......I have to have the kid at the jewelry store set my digital when I change batteries.
    I'm more of a ..."Sun 4 hands high"....kinda guy.
    Very Valid Point. The operator's booklet is over 40 pages long and using some of the advanced functions eats batteries. I usually use the dual time, altitude, and barometer functions. I rarely use the alarm when outdoors, unless it is to make sure I wake up soon enough in hunting or climbing camp. Nothing ruins the outdoor experience like technology sound effects (and deer can hear the damn thing at least 1/2 mile away - BTDT.

About 20 years ago I bought a Swiss Army analogue watch with plain black face, minute, hour, and sweep second hand. Other than a new battery about every four years or so, it has never quit. A really rugged watch that has held up for very rough use out in the mountains and forests, plus many years of competition handgun shooting. If something were to happen to it, I'd look for another just like it. Oh, by the way, I paid about $50.00 for it at Big Five Sporting Goods in Los Angeles.

I have a "nice" watch I wear for social occasions and business meetings.

I would not be without a watch.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

My wife bought me a Bulova Chronograph 100 years ago and I still wear it. The thing has a slide rule function, which is one of the few things on this planet I can actually operate.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My wife bought me a Bulova Chronograph 100 years ago and I still wear it. The thing has a slide rule function, which is one of the few things on this planet I can actually operate.
    The Bulova Chronograph that you received 100 years ago..........was that for your 50th birthday?? sorry about the bad joke

21st...................
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm not sure. I think it was our 25th anniversary but can't remember yesterday so who knows?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I also keep a Timex Expedition Trail watch. I also have a Timex Ironman that I bought before the Expedition Trail, and it works well, I have no complaints.

I bought an MTM Tactical watch about three years ago. If I'm out in the woods for an extended amount of time, then its usually on my wrist. That thing has been beaten, drowned, beaten and the drowned again. It's seen a life from hell, but it keeps on ticking and keeps accurate time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm not sure. I think it was our 25th anniversary but can't remember yesterday so who knows?
    I'm glad I ain't that old yet.
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 06-01-2014 at 10:46 PM.

With any luck you will be. Always remember...Better over the hill than under it.

Blog Entries

Cool Add-on...

I use my watch for telling time, I use my compass for telling direction, I use my phone for talking to people a long distance away...yeah, it can do that!....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I use my watch for telling time, I use my compass for telling direction, I use my phone for talking to people a long distance away...yeah, it can do that!....
    Right on, well said.....I agree.....

Now if they made watches with GPS, that would be cool!