Thread: Where are all the revolvers?

Default Where are all the revolvers?

Made a visit to an Academy Sporting Goods store.....in Shreveport, LA

Looking over their stock of hand guns.....and was disappointed to see mostly all auto loaders.
    Revolvers were pretty much missing except small frame .38's, and a few .22's.

The only bigger calibers were Rossi Judge variations.......

No S&W, No Ruger's, no Colt Clones, no Dan Wesson, not even any NAA offerings.
    No used, over priced, safe queens .454's, 44 mag or .45's

Have all the companies stopped making wheel guns?

How does it look in your areas?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Visited my local gun store today and they had a small selection of revolvers of all types but mostly 38 specials. As I was about to leave I noticed a hand cannon on the shelf - a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan with a short bbl in 454 Casul.. It made my hand hurt just to look at it! Semi Autos probably outnumbered revolvers by five or six to one. That's what the buying public seems to want today. Myself, I am moving back to revolvers! I have a 22lr/22mag, a 38/357 mag and a 44 sp/44 Mag and only one semi auto, a 40 S&W, and I may trade it in on a Charter Arms Pit Bull in 40 S&W.

I share the thought.....
    Frankly the number of style, calibers, manufactures, brands intimidate me.....and make my head hurt.

Last show a couple of weeks ago.....guy had a 3 folding tables with row after row of auto loaders.....I didn't have a clue of what some were.
    Strangely, my eyes were drawn to the pink or purple offerings....LOL...just because of color....Is that by design.

I think everybody these days think they need a pistol that holds 19 rounds and looks like a hand assult weapon, and there are a lot of fine semi auto's on the market. But I have always been partial to revolvers because I just feel safer with them. I know it is going to shoot whether it is dirty or clean, and I feel like 6 shots is really all I need.
    I guess if I was a street gang banger type I might need the 19 rounds just to it the target or take out an entire gang, but I just can't see me ever getting in that situation. I also like the looks of a revolver over the semi autos, they just look stronger and more dependable to me.
    I think if you need more than 6 rounds to get out of trouble, you need to learn how to shoot!

On the surface I would agree. But it sure is nice to know that if someone enters my home in the wee hours I have another 8 rounds backing those six up until the cavalry arrives. And if I run out then they can deal with my wife. She has the revolver. As to learning how to shoot, you might be right. With the adrenaline flowing like water I probably won't be hitting any where close to where I want to. Putting rounds on paper is one thing. Putting rounds into someone that is trying to rounds into you is a whole different thing.

Hunter, I haven't been in a gun shop in a couple of months but they had plenty of new and used side arms in the case then. Probably more revolvers than autos but that's just off memory.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I can guarantee you they ain't in my safe!!!!!

Did someone go on a canoe ride with them?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Seems that all we have here these days are revolvers. Mostly of the SW flavor. Semi-autos are scarce. Actually after yesterday here in MA a lot of things are going to be scarce. Another round of "gun-control" laws just floated up to the State House. "Gonna be the most pro-active in the nation." Best gun sales tool eva.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    With the adrenaline flowing like water I probably won't be hitting any where close to where I want to. Putting rounds on paper is one thing. Putting rounds into someone that is trying to rounds into you is a whole different thing.
    You just nailed it.

It's like hitting a punching bag. Sure you can really punch the living daylights out of it, but standing toe to toe with someone who's trying to hit you and refuses to stand still so you can hit him, is an entirely different matter.

It's one thing shooting at a target at a gunrange, it's something entirely different having someone actually shooting at you and moving around.
    The same thing goes for intruders, as it does if you get attacked by a mountain lion or a charging bear. What you can do at a gun range with decent lighting and a paper target, doesn't mean much.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Part of the change in ratio is economics.

A top level poly-framed 9mm poodle shooter sells for about 2/3 the cost of a quality revolver, and the only real "quality" revolvers still made are the S&W efforts at enormous price point.

And there is that attitude that you "better get them while you can". I know several seasoned revolver shooters that are buying hi-cap autos and squirreling them away as investments, due to the expectation that at some point they will not be available.

Personally, I am investing in the magazines. I was working in a gun shop when the "Clinton ban" went into effect. Sale of the 10 shot restricted pistols went down, unless you could provide full capacity pre-ban magazines to go with them. I was selling 14-15 shot mags for Ruger, Baretta, Glock and S&W autoloaders for $75-$100, and that was in the late '90s. Some at 400% markup and folks were glad to pay.

Then there is the "user awareness" factor. I CCW daily and it is summer in KY with 90 degree heat and equal humidity. Nothing can beat the small, flat, single stack compact autopistols for concealed carry in this weather! Even a 2" snub-nose can not match them for concealibility combined with power level, and even the single stack autos carry 2-3 shots more than the small framed revolver.

And there is the "Media factor". Pop culture. People are robots and emulate what they see on the screen. When was the last time you saw one of the "good guys" on an action movie carrying a revolver? Even a revolver like the ones the cowboys carried, that never had to be reloaded!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    And there is the "Media factor". Pop culture. People are robots and emulate what they see on the screen. When was the last time you saw one of the "good guys" on an action movie carrying a revolver? Even a revolver like the ones the cowboys carried, that never had to be reloaded!
    Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dane View Post
    Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead?
    Got to love a Colt Python.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Never seen an episode and do not know this Rick Grimes of whom you speak.

The Python was always an anachronism in my eyes. It was produced and priced like a collector piece but was still carried and shot by many owners.

The other oddity was the quality and feel of the trigger pull. Always viewed as "amazing" by the masses, it was actually the standard level for all good quality guns manufactured before WW2. No other pistol in the industry was ever brought back to that quality level except the Python, and it sold for 2-3 times the price of any other.

They even tried to switch Dirty Harry over to an automatic!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wHYzOzuENE
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-03-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-q2htBQZvX0...00523955_n.jpg

Never had the opportunity to shoot a Python.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Never seen an episode and do not know this Rick Grimes of whom you speak.

The Python was always an anachronism in my eyes. It was produced and priced like a collector piece but was still carried and shot by many owners.

The other oddity was the quality and feel of the trigger pull. Always viewed as "amazing" by the masses, it was actually the standard level for all good quality guns manufactured before WW2. No other pistol in the industry was ever brought back to that quality level except the Python, and it sold for 2-3 times the price of any other.

They even tried to switch Dirty Harry over to an automatic!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wHYzOzuENE
    It was pricey, bought one in about 1977 i'm thinking it cost me about $400.00 + shot it carried it loved it for about 4 years, traded it to a guy who wanted it bad, he gave me a NIB S&W 4" model 29 and a remington 870 wingmaster, still got the wingmaster.

I've got three on my wish list. A Ruger single six hunter .22lr/.22mag. and a Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm convert. with 6 in. barrel. Then the one that got away, a Colt anaconda with the realtree camo finish and matching scope. I sold it about 10 years ago when I went all Dave Ramsey and liquidated almost all the arsenal. That's the only one I regret.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

When I teach new students, they get to shoot both auto loaders and revolvers. For the newbies, while they like the look of the auto loader, remembering all the bell and whistles is a bit much for them. Also the recoil of the auto loader throws them off. They tend to shoot the revolvers better, and they don't have to worry about safeties, magazines, etc.
    I know what hunts you.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I just won a Ruger LCP in 380 at a Ducks Unlimited Banquet and immediately took it to my favorite gun shop and traded it for a Charter Arms Undercover in 38 Special. I intend to give this revolver to my daughter IF she takes and passes the CPL class. (She travels a lot for work.) She is not a shooter and her husband and I believe that she would be better served by a revolver.

Congrats on the win......and trade.....
    I'm not a auto person....and would have considered that as well......especially for a new shooter.
    Thanks Dad.