Thread: Wild Boar Bait

Default Wild Boar Bait

I'm on the front lines in the war against wild boar. Their nasty creatures. I've been hunting them in nearly ever state from North Carolina to Louisiana. Its a part time hobby that's slowly taking over my life. Anyway, to hunt and trap these suckers, I bait them and wait. Since they'll eat anything, there's no shortage of bait receipts.

Usually I take deer corn and mix it with molasses, but I've seen a number of different recipes.

One of my Cajun friends uses slop, just like with pigs. He'll collect table trimmings, rotted fruit, etc. and throw it together in a pile. It works.

I went hunting with a guy once that used dry dog food. Another one swore by catfish baits like chicken livers and other stink baits, but I never witness the success.

What's your wild boar bait?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Question???

If you are in the ranks of semi-professional wild boar hunters and have chased and baited them in all of the southern states...

Why are you down in the Guns and Ammo section asking questions about a rifle for your pixie friend like a newbie???
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Boys I know down here in Louisiana just use corn in the traps....trap them for re=location or shoot them.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I never bait in areas I'm trying to remove them from. Baiting will attract hogs and they'll stick around until all their food sources are gone. I'll usually just stalk or still hunt them in a blind. Hogs are pretty habitual and will usually keep their rounds unlike yotes.

Isn't that sort of the reason for baiting, so you can get them in one spot and massacre them?

You bait the hogs inside a pen, then shut the pen and kill them all in one go rather than hunting them on their own terms.

City folk consider them "game animals", the farmers consider them bankruptcy on the hoof.

Exactly, the hogs you trap aren't the only ones that smell that bait, they show up from all around. I'm not tryin to tell anyone to do it a certain way, I'm just sharing what I've had to deal with in the past. Now if you have one of those commercial hog pins that'll hold about 70 hogs and you put 8 or 9 of them up around the property you'll be ok lol

Idk what it's like where your at, but where I'm from hogs come in waves. You set out a bait n trap and catch about 4, a week later you'll see more hog activity in the pine acres, around the crops, bedding areas in the graveyard fields. They are a pain lol. Seemed like every time I bait n trapped their activities got heavier. Unless it was my imagination but I doubt it haha

Yes, traffic gets heavier in the baited area.

That is why they call it baiting.

You do not set the bait, then leave and let them eat. That is called "feeding the hogs".

You set the bait, and then kill them when they come to the bait because you know exactly where they are going to be. that way you don't have to chase a hog all over hades and high water to get rid of him. You go to your bait sight, slip into your prepositioned blind with your cooler and samiches and wait for the hogs to come to you.

It is such an efficient system that it is illegal for most game animals.

I must remove my deer feeders a specific number of days before the season opens. I can not hunt over a baited deer trail, I can not hunt birds over a baited field, and in my state I can not hunt bear over a baited site.

Since hogs are invasive species they are not protected by fair chase laws, so one can use the more efficient methods of harvest, or eradication.

Just be careful when you shoot them in the traps....don't want to nick the hog wire...bullet goes somewhere???
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yea I suppose if I built a corral trap and did if for a few months I should be rid of them once and for all if I were to bait them. But unless i do that, I'd be spending a lot of time looking through cameras and blind sittn or moving and resetting those smaller traps. But that's neither here nor there, lol after 2 years of group hunts I finally ran them off

being one who raises pigs, I can attest to their steady routine and stubbornness. We let our pigs roam the pasture and woods that are fenced in. They are easy to ambush and if you are using a subsonic 22lr, you can usually get a few before they even know what is up. Wait for them to leave, grab your bounty, and come back the next day for more. Don't sit where they can get you if they get angry, wild hogs are not friendly. A game camera will let you see their routine and routes. They are very regular. They learn FAST, so only take a shot if you are 100% sure it is good. brain shots are #1. No noise, no fuss. The others normally keep going. A tree stand about 8 feet up works very well, just don't move. Wear camo and be quiet. Once pigs find food, they will keep coming back for more and will dig to china to find what they "know" has to be there.

Hmmmmm..............interesting. I've done hog removal for the state in Calif and for a variety of land owners in Texas and certain other locations in the south and s/e. I *WILL* bait 'em in , and then shoot them wholesale........night after night after night as long as they keep coming back.

Stalking and stillhunting are for "fun" hunting , hog eradication is exactly that...........eradication of a voracious non native species with no natural enemies except mankind. As one individual here put it " bankruptcy on the hoof for the farmer/rancher"..............