Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Teti's new partner.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    I thought maybe in my wildest dreams i could see Cody going underwater in that cave and then climbing the vines to get out. I laid down and napped for an hour but i had no luck. Tonight i will hopefully have several uninterrupted hours of sleep and i'll give it another shot.
    So let me see if I got this right..........you purposely try and think of large, long haired men while you sleep? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    So let me see if I got this right..........you purposely try and think of large, long haired men while you sleep? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Not normally but now that you mention it i would say that Cody probably has a lot of fans in prison that do.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
    ― Heraclitus

So let me get this straight. You dream about long haired men abnormally? Man, that's waaaay too much information in my book. (Making note not to go camping with JohnnyP).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Funny stuff.

Tried watching the two NEW Dual Survival shows when they re-ran, but can't get into them. Matt is great! But he's too laid back and lacks the charisma of Cody. Charisma is what keeps the show going. Interestingly enough Matt is teaching Joe as well as the viewers. Joe keeps trying to sound like he's in charge with his comments like: "Move with a purpose!" I did! I purposefully moved to a different station. I'm just about betting the series is doomed!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Maybe they need the sensitive, feminine touch that Cody provided.

Karen & Joe.jpg
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
    ― Heraclitus

our property is in or about crater lake,oregon

i like Cody but this new guy sure is a good one.
    the new ones really bring alot of action to the show but actually i dont watch it now cause
    Cody is gone.

All of the Dual Survivor stars are/were interesting. You can learn something from any of them. I've never really had a favorite. Cody was an enigmatic anachronism. That's a bunch of big words that basically mean he was weird and didn't fit in. He's kind of a throwback to the hippy generation, sort of like Matt in some ways. He also had some odd personality quirks which made it difficult for people to relate to him, and alienated a lot of his viewership. But as far as survival knowledge goes he was very well versed.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

our property is in or about crater lake,oregon

ha ha.i am from the hippy generation.i guess
    this is why i liked Cody.lol.

Some people are saying the new guy Matt is making it look too easy. For him this whole thing is just one big camping outing.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjasurvivor View Post
    Some people are saying the new guy Matt is making it look too easy. For him this whole thing is just one big camping outing.
    To me that just shows his confidence in his skills.
    But I do understand that the need for "drama" to further the average viewers continued support.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    To me that just shows his confidence in his skills.
    But I do understand that the need for "drama" to further the average viewers continued support.
    It's because survival is not very exciting or dramatic to begin with. When you are good at it, then it become thriving or living, not surviving. Let's face it, the most dramatic moments on the show were the two guys fighting or when somebody kills an animal. These shows also use personal suffering to provide the drama, like on Naked and Afraid.

Finally caught this show. I was annoyed almost the whole time. Of course they play it up. Need viewers. I watched the underwater cage and vine episode. It was prettym stupid. Yes why would you dive in a cavernous pit for eyeglass lens when you could save calories and safety and start it another way. Drama.

Provided this is real, which I gathered its mostly not, I think I like joe better.. The minute I saw princess loincloth leave food breathing I got pissed, and assumed if joe knew they he would kill him. But that doesn't really hold water since it seems pretty staged. At leAst to me. In fact I considered looking to see if man vs wild was on instead.Thats how bad it was. Hahaha.

The part I struggle with is their continual need to "find rescue". But you already know that they can't be rescued until the end of the show. So when they start talking about doing things like making signal fires early on, you already know it will be to no avail. The show has to be structured or staged in such a way that they are dropped off at a remote location (point A) and have an allocated amount of time to arrive at a predetermined rescue destination (point B). Not to mention their directive to utilize the man made items that have been conveniently placed at their disposal as part of the fabricated survival scenario.

To be fair this show is not really trying to present a real life scenario, but rather a simulation of what wilderness survival might look like. That's why I never get too bent out of shape when things come across as staged or unrealistic, because they are, and everyone knows it, or at least they should.
    Last edited by ninjasurvivor; 07-21-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Drop a guy off with nothing but two Gopros and a bunch of batteries for a week. Plenty good quality and very little weight and space.

Cody wasn't very athletic. I'm not sure how old he is, as that may have been a factor. He's muscular but I don't think he was able to manage his weight and bulk very well. He never seemed sure on his feet or in control of his body when repelling. The producers never would've put him in a position where he had to climb those vines out of that giant hole, because he wouldn't have been able to make it.

I like Matt. Excellent woodsman. If I had to kill someone and couldn't get done myself, I'd call Joe!
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjasurvivor View Post
    All of the Dual Survivor stars are/were interesting. You can learn something from any of them. I've never really had a favorite. Cody was an enigmatic anachronism. That's a bunch of big words that basically mean he was weird and didn't fit in. He's kind of a throwback to the hippy generation, sort of like Matt in some ways. He also had some odd personality quirks which made it difficult for people to relate to him, and alienated a lot of his viewership. But as far as survival knowledge goes he was very well versed.
    Generation has nothing to do with it. I'm 34. I've lived and been in some hairy situations. As a result, i'm perfectly aware of - and comfortable with - my mortality.

Because of this awareness, Lundin is one of the few televised survivalists who i have any respect for. His ability to observe a situation/scenario, review all options and weigh the risk/reward of an action and then move forward patiently and cautiously is what true survival is based upon. Anyone who rushes around with minimal thought and analysis like the Daves, Joes and Bears of the world will end up dead in any true prolonged survival situation while guys like Cody will just keep plodding along, carefully picking their path and dropping snide remarks about the folly of recklessness.

Television has all but killed real survivalism. You look back to those who were considered "survival experts" in the 50s thru 80s (before media - primarily TV - made them celebs or revenue streams) and all of them followed and taught a survival structure and code exactly like Lundin's; anything less gets people killed.

The antics of guys jumping off cliffs in avalanche country (Bear), or running around whooping like tools and tossing sticks at animals (Dave) may be flashy and entertaining for some people, but not all. DS was one of my favorite shows... now i'll just search for something else to watch i guess.