Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Teti's new partner.

Blog Entries

Cool Joe Teti's new partner.

Dual Survival ran an "expose" of what led up to Cody's leaving the show. They tried to make it look like he was the "bad guy" in a subtle manner. Then they showed Joe's new partner; Matt Graham from Utah. He is young, strong, buffed out, and has been living the primitive life style for 20 years. this is NOT what I want to see. Cody was a bit overweight and even did one episode where he faked a leg injury, which, I thought, was more realistic than previous episodes. Let's face it, a lot of people aren't in top shape like Matt and Joe, many are a lot older and some even in not so fine shape. What about them? Do we just throw them to the wolves? Consequently Dual Survival is now on my "Do not watch" list....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

It was very strange to watch an entire episode about the problem of Lundin. Now i'm missing Survivorman.
    By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: he layeth up the depth in storehouses.

Let all the earth fear the Lord: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.

For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.

Psalm 33:6-9.

I really like Matt Graham. He's the real deal IMO (as is Cody). I've got no use for Joe Teti at all.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Haven't seen too much of any of the episodes after Dave left..........
    Doesn't sound like I need to watch the new ones.
    After the episode where they left a car to go over land......I sorta lost interest.

Follow the road.....Dumas!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Sorta agree...

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I really like Matt Graham. He's the real deal IMO (as is Cody). I've got no use for Joe Teti at all.
    Yeah, Joe Teti can't be taken seriously. Matt seems more than capable! However I'm turning 67 and not a spring chicken anymore. What about folks like me and Rick? Or even Ken?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I saw Matt on that show "Dude, You're Screwed". I think he could run circles around Joe.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Well now....

I saw Matt on that show "Dude, You're Screwed". I think he could run circles around Joe.
    I've heard good things about that show, is Matt a former Navy Seal?...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Here's his bio http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/du...att-graham.htm

Additionally, he runs ultra marathons (100 mile races).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don’t follow the show (no tv) but watch the odd u tube. I’m more caught up in whose next.

Precisely. Joe is useless. If I wanted to learn how to hotdog my way out of survival situations (and most likely die as a result), I'd watch Bear Grylls on Netflix. Cody at least made primitive survival techniques look intriguing enough for folks to want to learn more about them. Dave, with his acerbic wit and woodsman skills, had a similar impact. Joe has zero personality and zero appeal, which is why they needed to find someone not just with skill but with a personality that could engage viewers. They needed a headliner, in other words, and Matt fits the bill. I don't think it was even in the realm of possibility for them to get someone older or with a more realistic (to the audience) body type. It would probably be too much of a gamble, from their perspective. After reading Cody's side of things, it seems this show is meant far more for entertainment than educational value (which is why they were pushed into less and less safe actions) so in that frame of mind, you'd want someone physically appealing/attractive/aspirational to the audience you're trying to draw. If you check out 'Dude You're Screwed' though, you'll find a grizzled older guy with significant experience in Tom, the Army scout as well as a younger guy with a pot belly who happens to be a former SEAL (Jake). The ensemble nature of that show allows them to use a wide variety of ages and body types (compare Tom to Terry or John, physically).

I saw the first episode with Matt (last night) and with all the subtle (as a sledgehammer to the cranium) digs Joe was taking on Cody while at the same time trying to compliment Matt was both sad and comical. Not knowing what an atlatl is (or what it's capable of in skilled hands) was forgivable. Wanting the killshot on an obviously dying animal just because, was not (ooo that peccary was such a threat, with less than half of its blood still in its body). I loved Matt's handling of the hand drill (his rhythmic technique really appealed to me) but half of what Matt does will probably be totally lost on Joe. But by gawd, Cody should've put herbs in the water while it's boiling if he wanted to be a good partner!
    Last edited by Remianen; 05-29-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Dude You're Screwed is where I was introduced to Matt. As far as Jake goes - I have the utmost respect for Navy Seals. I had the honor of working with them on several occasions.......butttttttttttt Jake was on the show Top Shot and tapped out when he realized he didn't have what it takes to win. Not very Seal like IMO.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think Joe portrays the warrior mindset on the show, (and it is a show) while Matt portrays the hunter gatherer. Variety being the spice of life , there will be differing opinions on tactics to bring a little drama to the show. Joe seems to be more opinionated , which can be annoying at times , while Matt appears to be more laid back. As for Cody , beyond being the resident fireman and bug swallower , i didn't see where he ever contributed a lot to the show. YMMV

So..........staying warm, getting calories and water........yeah, you're probably right about not contributing to the show.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I guess the show is gonna be geared more to rescue from behind enemy lines?
    Hummmm
    What's with the buffed out ex-military....not that there is anything wrong with that.....just seems the jist of the show is changing.

Haven't decided if I'll watch or not....there are Zombia shows and Gems for sale.....and if that gets boring, just watch it in Spanish and try to figure out what's going on.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

So..........staying warm, getting calories and water........yeah, you're probably right about not contributing to the show.
    Given the choice in a survival situation between Cody or a prison match and a can of crickets, i would choose the latter. But then i've always been a loner.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    Given the choice in a survival situation between Cody or a prison match and a can of crickets, i would choose the latter. But then i've always been a loner.
    Because Cody has so much experience and knowledge and he carefully weighs out the risk of gains and losses. He is not as exciting as some one who will do some seriously stupid things like Joe. But, for me a show about wilderness survival uses people like Joe as a sort of what not to do. Like skinning a decomposing cow...

There always seems like a way out in every situation...within the last three minutes of each episode they always get rescued. Joe is always hungry and always has to be the one to "bring home the bacon". Whatta road hog douche he is! Matt had it under control before Teti horned in and dealt the final blow on that javelina in the premier episode. Matt has always been a loner, too bad he has to be paired up with that egotistical, gung ho, shoot first ask questions later GI Joe Teti. I say drop him and change the title of the show to "Solo Survivor". Sorry for the rant...

DomC
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

I think it would have been awesome to have Matt and Cody on the show. No below average joe needed.

Seriously though the worst thing is that joe seems physically incapable of speaking in a normal voice he is always yelling. Is that just me? Cause it sometimes makes me want to yell "SHUT UP" at the tv whenever he speaks. Probably the funniest thing I ever heard was when he said that he will never turn his back to a threat and so he had to spear the little pig that was already mortally wounded and drowning because it was "threatening his safety".

I thought maybe in my wildest dreams i could see Cody going underwater in that cave and then climbing the vines to get out. I laid down and napped for an hour but i had no luck. Tonight i will hopefully have several uninterrupted hours of sleep and i'll give it another shot.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
    ― Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    I thought maybe in my wildest dreams i could see Cody going underwater in that cave and then climbing the vines to get out. I laid down and napped for an hour but i had no luck. Tonight i will hopefully have several uninterrupted hours of sleep and i'll give it another shot.
    Yeah and then go back into the cave to get a lost firestarting method (the eyeglass lenses) because it was SO needed (not like Matt could make fire with sticks. They NEEDED those lenses!) because he saw a GLINT on WATER (not like sunlight does that naturally or anything). Make sure your wildest dreams include that, along with flying pigs and finicky eating goats.

I get it, the show is meant to be for entertainment value. But, channels in that niche (some within the same family) have managed to produce successful shows that engage viewers by teaching them something while entertaining at the same time (Life Below Zero, Outrageous Acts of Science, Through the Wormhole, Survivorman, Mythbusters, etc). I think the key to it is making the material/situation accessible to as wide an audience as possible. That was Cody's (and is now Matt's) job. Besides portraying the plate fright that most people would connect with, I don't see what Joe's niche is. Dave at least brought woodsman and outdoor skills to the team in addition to being the 'run & gun, get it done' (by his own admission) persona. The danger lies in people thinking that Joe's methodology would work when, say, your dive boat leaves you behind (which happens far more often than you'd think) or when lost in the woods after "snapping an ankle" (to use Les Stroud's saying). But maybe Batch is right and Joe represents the impulsive side of the human condition (i.e. what not to do).

But along the lines of what Wingman suggests, I've gotten several friends interested in outdoor activities in general over the last year by recommending they watch certain shows (Dual Survival S1 & 2; all of Survivorman, Dude You're Screwed, etc). If Joe's approach gets them to look further into things (and learn that his approach isn't typically the best choice. He has a very specialized skillset), all the better for the community as a whole. Just as long as they don't go all Joe Teti on Motukitiu next year, I don't mind.