Thread: Please identify these berrys

Default Please identify these berrys

Hello everyone. I am new here and this is my first post so let me start off by saying hello and thank you in advance for any help you can provide to me. So we moved to a place in Lake Placid Florida recently and we noticed this bush in our back yard. I am trying to find out if these berries are edible and what kind of berries they are. The birds are eating them so I take that as a good sign but I would like to be 100% sure. I got a lot of pictures of them. I have a lot more photos but I can not figure out how to post them here they are all on photobucket.

IMG_4454.jpgIMG_4455.jpgIMG_4456.jpgIMG_4457.jpgIMG_4458.jpg

They look like wild blackberries to me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think that they are either blackberries or mulberries but I would like to be sure first.

I dont think there mulberries .

mulberry
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by welderguy; 05-29-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I take that back they do look like mulberries in that last picture you posted but again Im not sure just my 2 cents
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

looking thru one of my garden books the leafs look like a blackberry leaf

Lantana camara Berries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/lantana-c...gned-nibble-2/
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

well interesting, one expert says there toxic the other says there ok to eat, I'm not to interested in a 50/50 chance. Thanks for clearing up what they are Gryff

I came across enough confusion on the toxicity to not comment on its edibility although it seems to be the unripe berry that has toxicity.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Banned

DO NOT EAT THEM!!! THEY ARE POISONOUS!!!

Those berries are very familiar with me, as they are in my backyard. They have been there for about 25 years, they have YET to grow into some sort of berry. They stay the same as the pictures your provided.

Banned

They are not blackberries nor mulberries

Lantana is poisonous to livestock and I wouldn't eat them. Take a branch with berries to the Agriculture Center or local Forest Service Office. They can identify them for you.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Mulberry has larger leaves. Lantana has pretty showy flowers. Blackberry is a bramble and is covered in thorns.

In Lake Placid you should have flowers on Lantana. Are there any flowers present at all? Any thorns?

Red and Paper Mulberry have distinct shapes as well. Look at the leaves on this page. But, like I said they are much larger in the two species you are likely to encounter in Lake Placid. http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/extension/4h...rry/index.html

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Mulberries grow on trees not bushes. Blackberry bushes have thorns.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Blackberry bushes have thorns.
    Yup
    Blackberries have thorns...dammit

Yeah, I had a deer I shot last year run through an area loaded with blackberry bushes. I had somehow managed to stay out of them until then.

Here is an article from eattheweeds on Lantana. http://www.eattheweeds.com/lantana-c...gned-nibble-2/