Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snake Hunting

I share my lawn with blue racers, and garter snakes, some black rat snakes in the trees along the woodline, unidentified small bronze colored on my front porch as I stepped out the door coiled up towards me in a strike position that one didn't make it to the next minute. usally i let them live and scoot them away but if they get aggressive for no reason its over.
    Last edited by Graf; 10-21-2014 at 03:28 AM.
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Now THAT would make a nice knife sheath.
    Yes it would Crash..
    Gonna use it for some sheath inlays. Good to hear from you Brother
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Just be careful cos snakes heads seems to be alive even after being decapitated. It can still bite.!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Just be careful cos snakes heads seems to be alive even after being decapitated. It can still bite.!
    You are never careful enough. I have Knife Hunt Snakes for about 30 years. (And other reptiles) I taught swamp survival training, which involved Cottonmouths being an easy meal. I am very aware of our South Mississippi poisonous snakes.
    I have caught & milked Many snakes to be used for anti venom, so regardless of my pics, I am very careful & aware of there and have spent many years hunting, catching, and handling them.

I spent two years in and around Yuma, AZ with a lot of time in the desert and mountains. It was a snake hunt alright; they hunted me!!!!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Yeah, here in Mississippi there are plentiful snakes. I spent a lot on my teen years clearing duck blinds on Cotten Mouths and Copperheads. We have one guy with a ten foot stick lift logs and one guy with the 12ga. Lots on fun but now I wish I'd learned how to handle them and milk the venom.

you are the rock mannnnnn.....

Quote Originally Posted by rembul View Post
    you are the rock mannnnnn.....
    Naw, just Carney!

Biggest reptile I have knifed to date 2009
    Attached Images Attached Images

I generally give all snakes the option to retreat but about a year ago a friend of mine with a "for hire" campground asked me to help him clean up under a large rock that young kids frequented. Said he was pretty sure there were a couple Copperheads under it. Turned out there were seven there.

Six-ch2cth.jpg
    That which you sew, so shall ye reap.
    United States Blowgun Association

Nice pic neondog. Love Copperheads
    And as a reminder, I rarely kill snakes, except for Wilderness Training, & I do kill venomous snakes on property to close to House. My little ones know how to identify & stay SHY of them. I began Knife Hunting Snakes when I was probably 14

My 8 year old, Gunner, did his class project today on "Timber Rattlers"...

Attached Images Attached Images

I killed a pretty good sized snake with my lawnmower once (unintentional) and decided to cook and eat it, something I've never done before. I didn't skin it or anything first, maybe that was the first mistake. I just threw it straight onto hot coals and I think I cooked it for too long. I could hardly find any good meat on it after de-gutting it. Oh well, I made a funny video about it at least (I recorded the whole process with some funny monologue).

Quote Originally Posted by Iskander View Post
    I killed a pretty good sized snake with my lawnmower once (unintentional) and decided to cook and eat it, something I've never done before. I didn't skin it or anything first, maybe that was the first mistake. I just threw it straight onto hot coals and I think I cooked it for too long. I could hardly find any good meat on it after de-gutting it. Oh well, I made a funny video about it at least (I recorded the whole process with some funny monologue).
    You cooked the snake without cleaning it?
    (Ex. Gutting, removal of stomach, sex organs, skin)

There are many ways of learning.....from the "What is the best toothpick"....to "Holy crap, I ain't never doing that...again"....Like throwing a can of cherries in to the fire.......

Seems to be there needs to be a balance......and a goal of success, not a video with a lot of hits......LOl...of course if I would have had liked to have had one of the cherries....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27