Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snake Hunting

Default Snake Hunting

Good eating
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like a good size skin too, whats your plans for it ?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Nice. I can say honestly that you are the only preacher I know that hunts snakes and gators with just a knife.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There are a good many reasons I don't handle rattle snakes. The first six are fear.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There are a good many reasons I don't handle rattle snakes. The first six are fear.
    I don't handle any type of snake. When I had my mini farm and barn, in the spring I would find a very large skin hanging from the center beam in the bottom stalls. It was at least six feet long, I didn't even want to handle it.
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

We were walking in a cypress dome today. It is very dry down here right now and we were not seeing any snakes. My freind Mike flipped over a cypress log and there was a Southern Ringneck. This is a very small and passive snake. He picked this one up and it commenced to light him up. It settled down after about 3 bites and a couple of more strikes.

We always put them back where we catch them if they were under cover and then replace the cover. He put that little snake down and that thing acted like a cotton mouth with its head all back and mouth open. Very un-southern ring neck snake behavior. LOL The baddest ring neck on the planet!

We have cotton mouths in my neck of the woods. I dislike cotton mouth, because one of them got me once when I was a kid. I had to take anti-venom, nearly died. I kill them when I see them. It's a personal beef.
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 05-27-2014 at 04:12 AM.

I mostly leave snakes be....they are great pest control....been know to pick up small snakes and release them under the shed.
    Mow the high grass around cabin and sheds, and am aware when fooling with wood piles, and hiking.

Biggest was about 5 ft long, came out of the ditch right after I had been there, but hadn't seen it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Very nice catch! I am WAY TOO scared to go anywhere near snakes. My wife was bit while we were walking in the property behind our house. I had to rush her to the hospital! Never again!

You're crazy! I've kept venomous snakes for several years and i'd still never hold one by the head. Extremely dangerous. Where was he sitting at?

I have the big hear philosophy as well. Not gonna look for one, pick it up or do anything else with one.

I think he's holding the rattlers. It's already been decapa...dicapt...had it's head cut off. (shiver).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rattlers are indeed pretty good to eat. I can certainly understand hunting them for food and skins like Carney does, but I will never kill a snake just to kill it. They're part of "the plan" and fulfill their role in the ecosystem just as surely as the cute and cuddly animals do!

Yucccckkkkkkkk!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Rattlers are indeed pretty good to eat. I can certainly understand hunting them for food and skins like Carney does, but I will never kill a snake just to kill it. They're part of "the plan" and fulfill their role in the ecosystem just as surely as the cute and cuddly animals do!
    +1

I don't know about all these people saying they're everywhere. But I specifically look for then and rarely find one. I'd hate to kill something that hard to find.

Was fueling up the tractor and notice I had run over the tail of a garter snake, small one maybe 16"....kind mashed the tail a bit....but was still alive, put him near the shed, so he had a place with mice....to go....Gone this morning....??????
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Got this one across my field, in my Brothers yard, coiled up at his front door. Wasn't hunting him... GZilla sent his head flying!
    Last edited by crashdive123; 10-20-2014 at 06:42 AM.

Now THAT would make a nice knife sheath.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel