Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Emergency Candle/heat source

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I can relate.......takes the fuzz off the flannel shirt.......
    Cotton sweater, lighting the grill. Folks far enough back to just watch said it was a really cool effect as the flame traveled up my arm then all around my torso. Fortunately, it burned out a couple inches behind the flame front, so it didn't even manage to singe my hair.

That will work! We have created those emergency candle before when we were out for a camping, we put in some lavender oil for a great smell.
    Have you tried going Solar in Adelaide?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I learn a lot more from my mistakes than I do from my successes, which is probably why I'm so smart. I make a lot of mistakes.

By the by. Bacon candles don't smell like bacon.
    That is good to know.

As long as they don't attract varmints like raccoons, skunks and bears etc. I have always just kept to clear bee's wax. Because in addition to burning at night I am concerned that if it melts in the sun it may leak out of its metal container, out of the plastic bag it is in and get on my backpack etc. Some places I camp it gets over 100F in the day and below freezing at night.

Been using bees wax candles in my candle lanterns for years....actually try to only use them......they don't drip as much as paraffin wax candles.
    ....Can't say I ever had a problem with them melting...of course we don't typically get 100 degree temps too often....but then again the trucks and trailers are sitting in the sun get pretty hot????

Candle ends are carried around in fire kits, or just your pocket....light the candle and get alight and fire.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

When the world ends, pull your toilet up and there is a big ring of wax there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If you are relying on the wax ring under your toilet for candle power you are woefully unprepared and may as well accept the inevitable end.

Besides - a place to "go" ranks much higher on comfort needs than a "crappy" candle.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't need to see to use the toilet.....toilet ring stays.
    Besides, ever pull one up?....... they generally come off with a putty knife, and rubber gloves....LOL.

I do not believe they are made of bees wax any longer.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A good emergency heat source can be made with 3 tea candles in a 1 lb coffee can. It puts out so much heat that you can't hold your hand over the can. Those little candles are very cheap and will burn up to 4 hours. It will literally take the chill off of a small tent if the drafts are kept to a minimum!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

I know your comment was tongue in cheek but it actually won't. Here's a tut where I make bacon candles. You'll notice that was back in 2009. I just threw them away last month! The bacon fat had gone rancid and dried out a bit but they still had no odor either burning or just sitting idle.....which is kinda like me come to think of it.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=bacon+candle

Yes I agree with this,,, but I recycle bacon grease to use instead of lard... I guess it tastes better... I like it.

No Smell at all.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    If you are relying on the wax ring under your toilet for candle power you are woefully unprepared and may as well accept the inevitable end.

Besides - a place to "go" ranks much higher on comfort needs than a "crappy" candle.

Thanks for the belly laugh...
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907