Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emergency Candle/heat source

Default Emergency Candle/heat source

Don't know if this for real....or if it would be practical if it did work....just thought it was an interesting idea.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 05-23-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just think HUnter, if you made one of those using old recycled bacon grease, the house would smell like bacon for 45 days.............yum
    Last edited by Wildthang; 05-24-2014 at 07:42 AM.

I'll try to test a smaller version (read less weight).
    Looks legit...
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Heh, heh, heh.......Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    I'll try to test a smaller version (read less weight).
    Looks legit...
    I'm thinking this may need some work.....
    Piece of string...What kind of string?......candles need "wick" material in my experience. ,,,need to be sized so as to not drown the flame.

What is the cost of Crisco?
    What is the cost of decorator candles at yard sales?
    Who carries chop sticks...or has them laying around?

I actually have a couple of the disposable chop sticks at home, get them with take out orders I just throw them in a drawer with the spork packages i get.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang
    Just think HUnter, if you made one of those using old bacon recycled bacon grease, the house would smell like bacon for 45 days

I know your comment was tongue in cheek but it actually won't. Here's a tut where I make bacon candles. You'll notice that was back in 2009. I just threw them away last month! The bacon fat had gone rancid and dried out a bit but they still had no odor either burning or just sitting idle.....which is kinda like me come to think of it.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=bacon+candle

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Grease in a cup or any size needs tending much more than burning cooking oil. As Hunter stated the wick falls over and drowns. At least all that I have used so far. I've had best luck drilling a hole in a stick and floating it in the grease or wrapping a string around a piece of stick. Second best was a wire that stands up to hold the wick. I've used a cedar stick and braided basswood inner bark, but without any more success. It has to be adjusted every 15 min or so, but it would keep you very warm in a chair with a blanket over your lap and the heater below you. It will burn and it works. As you constantly touch the grease with your hands everything gets black and dirty. They've had grease burners since the beginning of time that worked better than mine. But, I've used simple grease burners and looked at the old burners on the internet. I've used them a few days until I get tired of playing around and I start using alcohol again.

For a limited time only. They are allowing you to substitute any thin relatively straight object, like a stick or a kabob thing-a-mabob. But, the flame produced will lack that Asian mystique.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    For a limited time only. They are allowing you to substitute any thin relatively straight object, like a stick or a kabob thing-a-mabob. But, the flame produced will lack that Asian mystique.
    Bhohahahahah......You do know that there are people out there in the world that would say, " I can't do this....I don't have any chop sticks".......Or start a thread, "What are the best chop sticks to make one of these"..........Then read the ad at the top of the page..."Get your chop sticks at Amazon dot com."

Yes, I do. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I carry them in my BOB.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___51842#
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Blog Entries

Making a wick is simple enough. Cut some paper into 1/2", then roll them diagonally to resemble rope make a strong salt solution and soak the paper 'wicks' in it then dry in a cool oven and viola wicks. The salt slows down the burn of the paper.

Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

The satellite is too slow to watch a video now. But all the videos that say to stick a wick in a tub of crisco and light it or attach a little piece of metal to the wick and try to float will end up the same. They'll burn a while and go out.

If there is a stick that will burn all by itself it would be interesting. I've tried without luck. I have beat on sticks with a hammer and shredded the tip, but still no luck. I've wove string in the shredded stick and it will burn until the stick falls over, which is about an hour. Probably longer in big tub of Crisco. I've only used animal fat so the results may be a little bit different. But I know that even hard wax will end up putting out the wick.

If you wrap a floating stick with a small piece of wire and then wrap the string around this stick and wire it will maintain the same level and stop the smoking which occurs when the wick gets too long. The stick and wire can still fall over if not done properly.

It looks like Winnie has solved the falling over wick problem with her method. I am curious how well the wick will burn down and if smoking is minimized to some degree.

Blog Entries

It burns very slowly as the salt slows down charring. I blew it out after an hour (the kitchen smelled of doughnuts and made me hungry) and there was little difference in wick length. There was a little smoking but not enough to worry about.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

you can buy nice candle wicks. Mop strings work, if you "float" them on pcs of cardboard.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm....

Just thinkin' out loud here; why not just buy up some emergency candles and save yourself a lot of work. Less energy spent and cheaper too?...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

you might have a point, if they will function when stuck down into the Crisco. I don't eat paraffin. How about you? But i"ll eat Crisco. So swapping out something that's dual use, for something that's single use only, might not be such a hot idea.

Hey, they used to make candles out of tallow, right? Same basic idea.