Thread: Low budget knives

Default Low budget knives

Have you ever bought a cheap knife just because it looked pretty good, and was so cheap that you thought, heck, what's to lose! Well this is one I bought and so far it has been a great little knife. So far it has been indestructable and it holds a pretty good edge for a $17 dollar knife!
    It is a Cold Steel Pendleton Light. The sheath is pretty cheap but what can you expect for that price!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I haven't seen a Cold Steel knife that was bad.

When I was 14 or 15, my family visited the Alamo. They had a replica Bowie knife for sale. I think it was around $10. I wanted it so bad. When I got it, I soon realized that it was a cheapy. Still have today...haven't broken it yet. But, I also don't beat on it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Condor makes some really good low budget knives and of course there's always mora

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I recently purchased a kitchen knife set from Cold Steel and was kind of amazed how dull some of the knives were. We traded emails back and forth and they wanted me to send to whole set back but I refused. I sharpened them and the only reason I contacted them was just to let them know. Other than that, I've had great luck with Cold Steel.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Oddly enough, I bought a $5 plus shipping stainless knife because, well, I had some spare money. It has so far surprised me. And yes, I abuse it. Because why? $5 knife.

Well my Pendleton came almost razor sharp, wouldn't shave but real close. And yeah it is a stainless knife, but for the money it has been a great bush craft knife. In fact the only thing I don't like about it is that it has no carbon in it for striking a spark! The handle has a good feel which is kind of rare for such a cheap knife!
    I always still have my Buck Woodsman along just in case!

I've bought several Moras not because I liked the looks of them, but because they are cheap to buy. But I have been really impressed with their quality and performance ! Got a couple of Rough Rider pockets knives that are great too !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Well my Pendleton came almost razor sharp, wouldn't shave but real close. And yeah it is a stainless knife, but for the money it has been a great bush craft knife. In fact the only thing I don't like about it is that it has no carbon in it for striking a spark! The handle has a good feel which is kind of rare for such a cheap knife!
    I always still have my Buck Woodsman along just in case!
    If your knife has no carbon in it then it is made of iron. Steel is an alloy of iron, with carbon, which may contribute up to 2.1% of its weight. All modern knife steel has carbon along with other elements to keep the iron from fracturing thus making it stronger. Stainless steel has a higher percentage of chromium to make it more stain resistant and is harder to sharpen. High carbon steel is less stain resistant but easier to sharpen. If you are referring to striking a spark with a piece of flint, a stainless steel knife will not work. But if the spine is sharpen to a ninety degree angle it will scrape sparks on a ferro rod. A high carbon knife blade will spark on a flint as well as a ferro rod if the spine is a sharp ninety degree.

DomC
    Last edited by DomC; 05-27-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."