Thread: Shooting .22lr in .22mag

Default Shooting .22lr in .22mag

It has always been my thought that you should not shoot long rifle in a magnum chamber because of safety issues. But I've seen this guy on youtube doing it with the Chiappa Little Badger which is a gun I'm interested in. Normally I'd just chuck it out to a guy being stupid, but this one seems to be held in high regard of his videos and information. Any thoughts or opinions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-EJVPDmMzE
    Last edited by RangerXanatos; 05-21-2014 at 12:07 PM.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I have done it, but it's one of those,..... you can, but not recommended as the cases swell, sometimes making it hard to extract.

My experience was a Ruger Single Six with .22 mag cylinder in....and only had a couple of .22 lr left.

Never really did a accuracy test.....I just don't do it, if I don't have to.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What Hunter said.

You will not be the first to do it and you will not be the last. Folks have been sticking .22lr into mag chambers since the round was invented.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

If you are looking for a lower power 22 to fire in a 22 mag chamber, buy the Winchester Rim Fire (WRF). Cabela's sells them, among others. The case size is the same as the 22 Mag.

Those are kinda hard to come by even before the "Big Shortage"...but yeah they are available.
    I tend to shy away from calibers that are hard to come by for a "survival set up"....or can't be re-loaded.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I think that if I were choosing a gun/platform specifically for wilderness survival, like the Chiappa I would go with the .22mag.

1. Ammo acquisition/popularity/interchangeability is not a factor, you are taking in what you will have and there is no resupply from well positioned vending machines along the river or trail.

2. Different cost of each round has almost disappeared and does not matter anyway, this is a survival tool not a plinker.

3. The .22 mag will actually kill something.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?