Thread: Something Different

Default Something Different

As the title suggests this knife was something different for me and my first time working with carbon fiber. The customer approached me about wanting a larger camp knife with out the extra weight and without decreasing performance so I came up with this. The spine is 1/4 in thick (as per customers request) and has a tapered full tang that reduces to slightly under 1/8 inch. The tang was also skeletonized by drilling out holes throughout and then hollow grinding the tang to further reduce weight. The knife was also given a high flat grind to also decrease weight. The steel is Aldo's 1084 and I clayed it to achieve a hamon. The customer requested that I place the flint striker notch on the blade its self as opposed to on the ricasso or another area. Because the temper was going to be effected anyway I only hardened the blade up to the striker notch.

The final weight of the knife came to 7.5 ounces which for a 1/4 inch thick spine and 12 inch long knife I think is not too bad. It could have been made lighter but I think this will do the task.

As always thank you for looking and all comments, questions, and critiques welcome.

Robert

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

That is a dang fine looking knife. I'm partial to that blade shape. Very nice.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Wow only 7.5 oz that's incredible! I wonder how light you could get a knife with a 4 or 5 inch blade since it looks like that one is a bit longer. Maybe one that was only 10 inches you could probably get it under 6 oz

Very nice, I like.

Almost like a traditional bowie, very nice lines. I really want to tackle a bowie next...I have so many started and unfinished due to lack of scale material. The forge has been calling to me lately. I need to try to produce a hammond for the first time.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Very Nice!
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Backpacker3 I once actually made a skeletonized spring steel knife that had a 6 inch blade and 5 inch handle weighing only 3 ounces. I've really been wanting to play around with making ultra-light knives for back packing something like a 4 inch blade that weighs under 2 ounces.

WOW! nice work! some outdoors guy is going to have a fine blade.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Awesome! You know you could make a killing selling that over on the backpacking light website. Do you have a website or something? I'd like to see more of your work.

Nice!!!!!....

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 05-20-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Removed website

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Cool. My fiddle bow is made of carbon fiber. Light, tough stuff.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Scottishsmith24, you cannot list your website in the body of your post. You can put it in your signature if you like.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sorry about that Crashdrive my mistake.