Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi

Default Hi

Hi,
    Have been working for a while on a Knot Pamphlet that, perhaps inevitably, morphed into a 40+ Knot Booklet.
    Thought folks here might like to have a look.

Where would I post it?
    Does a moderator have to have a look first?

You can't post a link to your own site. It's considered spam. And you can't post a link to anything or post pics until you have 10 posts. It's one of the ways we keep a handle on spam. The bible for knots is The Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford Ashley, which several on here own. It has 3900 knots listed.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for getting back to me Rick.

I understand that spammers can be a problem. Unfortunately anti spam measures affect everyone.
    As to your reference to Ashley, the 3900 knots quote is a publishers blurb, there are by my count 3850 numbered drawings. Each time a knot is referenced in a different context it is usually allocated a different number.

Allow me to quote page 4 of my Knot Booklet.

Author’s note: There are several references in this Knot Booklet to ABoK. ABoK is the acronym of Ashley’s Book of Knots. This opus magnum of Clifford W. Ashley was first published in 1944 and subsequently reprinted with amendments in 1993.
    With thousands of drawings representing hundreds of knots, this tome has become the premier reference work of knotting.
    Each drawing and hence each knot is identified by a number.
    With many knots having more than a single name in any one language, an Ashley’s Book of Knots reference number has become the equivalent of the Binomial or Latin name in Zoology and Botany.
    It should be pointed out however that new knots and those that for whatever reason did not appear in Ashley’s Book of Knots lack an ABoK number.

Quote Originally Posted by 75RR View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me Rick.

I understand that spammers can be a problem. Unfortunately anti spam measures affect everyone.
    As to your reference to Ashley, the 3900 knots quote is a publishers blurb, there are by my count 3850 numbered drawings. Each time a knot is referenced in a different context it is usually allocated a different number.

Allow me to quote page 4 of my Knot Booklet.

Author’s note: There are several references in this Knot Booklet to ABoK. ABoK is the acronym of Ashley’s Book of Knots. This opus magnum of Clifford W. Ashley was first published in 1944 and subsequently reprinted with amendments in 1993.
    With thousands of drawings representing hundreds of knots, this tome has become the premier reference work of knotting.
    With many knots having more than a single name in any one language, an Ashley’s Book of Knots reference number has become the equivalent of the Binomial or Latin name in Zoology and Botany.
    It should be pointed out however that new knots and those that for whatever reason did not appear in Ashley’s Book of Knots lack an ABoK number.
    Ummm. what does that mean in english ...LOL
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Ummm. what does that mean in english ...LOL
    You need to be into knots to understand. Unfortunately I am unable to help you in this at this time.

You need to be into knots to understand. Unfortunately I am unable to help you in this at this time.
    I can tie my shoes does that count
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Hello.....
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I can tie my shoes does that count
    Yes it does. It does not however explain your previous comment.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Hello.....
    Hello. How are you. Did you check out the link?
    Last edited by 75RR; 05-18-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Yes it does. It does not however explain your previous comment.
    Previous comment was basicly... what did all that have to do with your little book and was there a point to reference it to the other book.. are the knots in your book not in The Ashley Book of Knots .

...what did all that have to do with your little book...
    The word you are looking for is booklet.

book·let (bo͝ok′lĭt)
    n.
    A small bound book or pamphlet, usually having a paper covers

Yep thats what I said a small book

book·let (bo͝ok′lĭt)
    n.
    A small bound book or pamphlet, usually having a paper covers

Yep thats what I said a small book
    We both know what you implied.
    Yet given that you have not seen it, you should reserve judgment, until you do.

Seriously no judgment was made or implied, I didnt get your reference to the other book, why reference his in your work? is this a compilation of the best knots for survival situations, the best knots ever or just your favorites?

I didnt get your reference to the other book, why reference his in your work?
    1.) Rick mentioned it.

You can't post a link to your own site. It's considered spam. And you can't post a link to anything or post pics until you have 10 posts. It's one of the ways we keep a handle on spam. The bible for knots is The Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford Ashley, which several on here own. It has 3900 knots listed.
    2.) Knots are referenced by ABoK # if applicable.

I was actually referring to this comment you made

"Allow me to quote page 4 of my Knot Booklet.

It should be pointed out however that new knots and those that for whatever reason did not appear in Ashley’s Book of Knots lack an ABoK number."

In simple terms, Whats the point of the 40 knots you published in your "booklet" what is so special about them compared to the other 3000 plus in the other book ?

In simple terms, Whats the point of the 40 knots you published in your "booklet" what is so special about them compared to the other 3000 plus in the other book ?
    Sorry welderguy, but neither I not the other authors of knot books have to justify our work to you.
    Nobody is forcing you to read it.

Sorry welderguy, but neither I nor the other authors of knot books have to justify our work to you.
    HAHAHAHA !!! Well that tells me all you did was steal someone elses work and trying to push it as your own, Good luck !!! Read what ? you can't post a link yet !!! and with your attitude I am sure not many here will care what you have to offer ! Good luck let me know how it goes... No wait scratch that cause I really dont care!!?

Psst mister author I corrected your typo its nor , you put not Just helpin ya out there Buddy
    Last edited by welderguy; 05-18-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Read what ? you can't post a link yet !!!
    True. Nor will I.
    If anyone is interested google "A Few Good Knots & Bends and Hitches"
    Latest edition is 2.2, you will probably need to find a site with a google gl link to get it.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Sorry welderguy, but neither I not the other authors of knot books have to justify our work to you.
    Holy cow dude, chill out.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!