Thread: Uncle Jule's liniment

Default Uncle Jule's liniment

Uncle Jule's liniment. My great Uncle Jules died before I was born but I heard so many stories about him that it seems like I have known him my whole life. Anyhoo one of the stories was about Uncle Jule's liniment. This is some sort of concoction he made up and kept in a mason jar, not for drinking but for liniment LOL. I found a mason jar in my father's house with a tag on it that simply says "liniment". Today I opened it up to check it out. It smelled strong of turpentine for sure. Somewhere in the archives there is a recipe for this. I would like to find it for nostalgia sakes..

Here's a link to a cabin my Uncle Jule and Aunt Friendly owned years ago. They occupied it in the early 1900s. Then the big Metz fire came through and Aunt Friendly left and shortly there after uncle Jules followed her.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...og-cabin-story
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I remember my parents and aunt putting horse liniment on my back when I was a kid. I had scoliosis so my back always hurt while growing up.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I think this Jule's liniment was a multi purpose for people and horses LOL. I'm just the opposite, when I was a kid my back never hurt but now that I'm all growed up, my back can hurt like ell at times.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Cool. Have you tried it out yet?

I'm fascinated by heirlooms with writing. It's the voice that's left of those that went before us. I have writings of one sort or another from previous generations and the artistic flair or wiggly scrawl tells something about each person. By the way, your cottage cheese to going to leak out if you leave it like that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I haven't tried it yet but will. I am fascinated by heirlooms and history. I have a contract wrote by my great granddad at the turn of the century. It is a contract for a piece of ground that he rented for farming. I found it amazing that a young man with a 5th grade education wrote up such a contract. A hand written contract that is well written.

the cottage cheese leaked out already, leaked into my stomach LOL

So your great granddad wrote it 14 years ago? Oh, you meant that other century. Got it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ya know, that cottage cheese bowl is just one in a set of six. I save a fortune by repurposing ''stuff" it's not often a matching set can be gathered up LOL. Mason jars aside though.
    It makes me wonder at times a glass peanut butter jar or such is usually thrown out yet it cost money to go buy a glass drinking cup, go figure. It's all in the presentation I reckon.

The whole history of things has always fascinated me......Seeing the ligiment jar reminded me of my step GM home made soap.......big bars of it in a candy jar.....that my folks brought home after my GF passed.

We have a collection of antique butter containers.....although no care or thought went into having them match.....Gotta give DW a bad time about that....Thanks.
    I already give her a bad time about paper plates.......or Chinet .....The Good stuff.

BTW a friend like messing with glass......here is an example of some recycling....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If you have a DW and a GF I think it's you that will get the bad time.......

That's a cool glass.

GF = Grand Father (also NOT George Forman).....too old for Girl Friends....I call them therapist now........LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    GF = Grand Father (also NOT George Forman).....too old for Girl Friends....I call them therapist now........LOL
    Hey leave my GF out of this! My dad has already abused her!

the liniment would be worth trying. I've been surprised at the results of pine on wounds. Funny how you meet people in small towns that you didn't realize you were related to. When I was a kid I played on a ball team and latter found out that I was related to...well, all of them. I work in Metz and Hawks a few times a year. I'm about 25 min outside of Alpena.

I read somewhere about a recipe for liniment which was two parts oil (such as olive oil) and one part turpentine. I remember back in the day when rural folk made their own liniment for horses using secret family recipes. Because the recipes were supposed to stay secret, they were seldom written down, although these family recipes were sometimes recorded in the family bible. A lot of these secret ingredients are impossible or illegal to buy, such as tincture of opium.

I have an old veterinary manual which calls for 3 parts soap liniment, 3 parts witch hazel, and 2 parts turpentine for a livestock liniment. Cowboys even today use horse liniment on themselves as well as their horses.

My mom and dad use to use Sloans linamint, and it burned when you put it on. You could also smell it all through the house when somebody was using it! I think they actually still sell the stuff!

Yep, our liniment burned a bit and made your mouth taste like garlic.

thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Yep, our liniment burned a bit and made your mouth taste like garlic.
    I think all of the burning simply took your mind of of the muscle aches and pains!