Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metal for knives

Thanks randyt, those don't look to time consuming to make, and look kind of fun and cool. I found a pack of six or so at lowes that is actual carbon steel and not just bimetall, and am thinking about making some.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I use older crosscut saw steel, leaf springs, files, rasps, hay rake teeth, trap springs, some rebar etc. I check steel by heating it to critical which is just hot enough a magnet won't stick. Then I quench it in 115 degree oil. The stick it in a vise and tap it with a hammer away from myself. If it breaks like glass, it is heat treat worthy. The crosscut saw steel I use as is. For most stuff I'm a metal pounder.

I should add that safety glasses and leather gloves are wise to use especially when snapping the steel.

Studebaker springs and black diamond files are primo
    Well that's something new I learned. Why wont a magnet stick to metal once it gets to that temp?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Well that's something new I learned. Why wont a magnet stick to metal once it gets to that temp?
    Once steel gets to that temperature it enters what is called austenite. Here's a link that explains it pretty well along with a few other states of metal.

http://www.twi-global.com/technical-...e-and-ferrite/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I read about a guy that got old worn out farriers rasps and turned them into knives you can get them for free most likely from a local farrier (they take care of horses hooves put new shoes on that kind of stuff) they have no use for worn out ones and it leaves a heck of a cool pattern on the side of the blade.

instead of buying sawzall blades snoop around a few job sights (with permission) and get them for free. Actually if someone came to my job sight looking for old blades I would hook them up.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I found a pawn shop in town that specializes in tools. They have a bucket with old files in it. The files usually go for around a $1. So, check out the pawn shops. Flee markets also offer good sources for files. I would recommend starting with a file. You have to go through all the heat treat exercises, but your stock is already flat. Of course, my first knife was a bought knife blank that I made my own handle and sheath. I agree with point man that making a knife with a knife blank might be the best place to start for someone starting out.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
    Thanks randyt, those don't look to time consuming to make, and look kind of fun and cool. I found a pack of six or so at lowes that is actual carbon steel and not just bimetall, and am thinking about making some.

bimetal blades make excellent knives. sort of like a premade sanmai. You just have to make sure they're ground so the edge is on the high speed steel and take care not to overheat while cutting/grinding. They are just about ideal for paring knives.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
    I read about a guy that got old worn out farriers rasps and turned them into knives...
    Darn, I forgot about farriers. We have several around here so I'm going to ask around. I bet they would even save up some files if they don't have any lying around at the moment.

Thanks guys, unfortunately I can't drive so I can't get to build sites without my parents driving me. My brother will be able to drive soon though, so that will help.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

Default Pawn shop finds

Went to a pawn shop today and scored big time, got a 12 inch saw blade, a five inch blade, a six inch file, and a wood chisel for 2 bucks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Arctic Fox; 05-10-2014 at 08:17 PM.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Good score. That file is the best of the lot, but those saw blades will make fine slicers.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Sam View Post
    Darn, I forgot about farriers. We have several around here so I'm going to ask around. I bet they would even save up some files if they don't have any lying around at the moment.
    I'm going to find the picture in the magazine I saw it in I think it might have been one of the new pioneer magazines I have the treatment the guy did on the knife looked really cool. Somebody might want to see it besides me. Lol

I actually found his website here is a link to the knives he makes
    http://www.lostkreekoutdoors.com/los...ollection.html
    I'm not affiliated with this or anything this just has the pictures I was looking for