Thread: Safety on homestead

Default Safety on homestead

We are going to be living on our homestead full-time in less than 1 month! DH will commute to nearby city till Dec. 2 nights/week.
    Long time coming, lots of commuting from Chicago each week (4 hrs+ each way) but finally it is here.

We built what we thought was a pretty safe home - concrete, metal roof, and all laminated windows - (http://www.nari.org/homeowners/news/...ARTICLE_ID=31&)
    and we made the builder comply with Miami Dade hurricane standards for all roofing and windows.

Types of safety glass

There are two types of safety glass available – toughened and laminated glass. Alternatively, glass safety film can be applied to existing windows and glass areas....

Safety glass label
    Laminated glass

The high strength and unique design of laminated glass prevents it from shattering into large shards when broken. It is made from two or more sheets of glass bonded together with a flexible interlayer. In the event of breaking, the glass is held in place by the vinyl interlayer and forms a web-like pattern. The interlayer does not impact the transparency of the glass but will reduce damaging UV rays fading interior furnishings.

Laminated glass is your best option for security in the home. It generally takes two blows to break laminated glass with several further blows to create a hole. In contrast, toughened glass can be accessed with a single blow of a hammer.

http://www.build.com.au/safety-glass-requirements

We met someone yesterday- wonderful guy - who has had a place near us for about 10 years. He is slightly more secluded than we are. Retired, about 10-25years older. Wife died 2 years ago and no dog. Family all out of state.

HE TOLD US HE HAD BEEN BROKEN INTO 10 times in the last several years
    . They take everything. He lives there full time now but was like us, commuting to another location for a while back in the early 2000-2005 time frame.

He recommended we get a security system. He got one 2 years ago and even has it monitored with 3 options FIRE PANIC and BURGLARY. It ties into the police/fire nearby. But since we are both secluded, it takes a while for anyone to respond. You can cancel a PANIC call, but not FIRE or BURGLARY. He has 38 sensors in various places, but no cameras.

We have resisted this type of system as we just don't want to have others "monitoring" us. Once you sign up, they have records on you forever even when you stop the service. Didn't want the high profile that brings. And who knows WHO is monitoring you- did they vet the workers like I vet people?????

We had planned on trail cams for the driveway but didn't buy any from lack of knowledge of really good ones. Since we live here we no longer need the month long recordings on the type of cams we would buy. I also am considering a "driveway" alarm. They are buried and give you a warning from any motion on the driveway other than squirrels/cats/wood chucks. Not sure of good ones.

We have the place fully-lit with motion sensing really bright LED lights - no blind spots on house or pole barn. Seriously bright. Not sure his lighting plan.

We have a black LAB who will bark but not much else. Plan on a 2nd dog to help with animals/chickens next summer. Also going to get guineas for tick removal and their great alarm sounding ability. But that is next summer.

We are somewhat visible from highway (maybe that is why no attempted break-ins) but we have put in trees to minimize that sightline in the coming years. Our house is surrounded by annual trees - his are year round tall, mature, full pines -- very dense. We are set in a 7 acre natural clearing - he is in a created clearing. (I lurked on Google Maps to see his place).
    Because we planned for a "tick free" yard (as much as that is possible) when we built, there are no bushes, plants or trees in our entire yard for over 400 ft in front and 200 ft in back and sides. Just grass. Very little cover for anyone.

I am wholly unnerved now.

I knew there were animals and of course everyone has a chance for crazies to come - but he is less than a mile away. Granted, he really is completely hidden from ANY view at all from the road and his driveway fronts on a dirt/farm access road 1 block from the main road.

We of course have guns that we shoot on the land and anyone within a few miles hears us practicing and all our neighbors practicing. An average weekend, if we are out in the yard, we hear pretty much continual sporadic shooting. But they are not closeby and we have not met most of them yet as we did not want to call attention to the fact we were not here 24/7.

We did have a large target set up in back yard - I will be setting it back up very soon- whenever our very welcome monsoons stop. Will likely put one visible in the front yard also (deterrent factor).

So thoughts, suggestions welcome. Also thoughts on security systems that are not $$$$$.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Congrats on the up coming move.....exciting times.

Sounds like you have worked on this and given it some thought.

We have had our "Place" since 1989......first a small travel trailer, then cabin in 2005.

Trailer was broken into once, turned out to be neighbors step kid about 10 years old....and the cabin once .
    Trailer was a $400 buck trailer so it could have burned down with not much loss except a PITA.
    Cabin, had the door broken, BIL booze was missing.....nothing else messed with except stuff gone thru.

We don't leave valuables.......if there is, very stashed........Turns out that they were kids teens looking for booze, money and guns.

I do find it important to make friends and contacts in the community, as there are about 10 cabins in 2-3 miles on our road, everyone does look out for your stuff.

Some consider this noisy....but still better to be a friend that an unknown....IMHO.

As far as security systems go...not sure how helpful they would be....what ever event being reported will be over or ongoing as response time from city home is 4 hrs, and local is pretty thin...sheriffs deputies and volunteer FD (no CSI on crime scenes) .......so you warning is actually a ...."Hey something just happened.".......YMMV

I do think there is a transition from city to small town/rural way of thinking....may take a while.

Neighbor from Milwaukee would put a stockade fence around his 24 acres if he could.......even ask me if I locked up my electric breaker/disconnect....maybe some one came by with an 100 ft extension cord, plugs in and dry their hair/....Thought that was excessive, but, hey, it was important to him.

Kinda sounds like a neighbor with issues?

Anyway, Fire-Extinguishers are good,.... dogs are good,.... cameras are good, ....guineas are good, ...lights are real good....I really like motion lights, haven't tried a driveway alarm...dogs work good most of the time when we are here.

Most importantly is getting the feel of what supposed to be here and what doesn't....situational awareness....most anyone on our road waves as they belong here.

Things are different out here...Take some getting used to
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Believe it or not motion lights and fake cameras will deter a lot of theives!

I even have motion lights inside my garage....and leave an old scanner running......nothing like police/fire calls playing softly in the nite.

Congrats on the upcoming move. I know that you've been working on it for quite a while.

Sounds like you have some pretty well thought out ideas. Here are a few off the top of my head. ---

Make it look like somebody is always home. An extra vehicle, lights on timers, radio on timer, etc.

Keep things cleaned up ( I know you will) and don't leave containers from purchases out for all to see (advertising things you just bought).

A fence along the frontage with a gate.

Get to know all of your neighbors (as H63 said).

The rest of my initial thoughts you already have covered, or in the process of covering. I like the idea of a driveway alarm. Trail cams may help with a prosecution, but probably will not be much of a deterrent but with signs that are very prominently displayed stating that the property is under video surveillance.

The key IMO is to make it look like to is either more trouble than it's worth or the probability of getting caught (captured or killed) is high. Most people that do break ins are likely looking for an easy score.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash and Hunter, we are planning to go to each neighbor in June and say "hey" and bring a 6 pack and some homemade goody. We didn't do it before as they always ask, so where do you work, when are you there-- not being nosy just friendly. We do have some neighbors across the road so are looking forward to meeting them.
    Great idea about signs re video surveillance.

Hunter, our motion lights are super bright and do work great. Home Depot LEDs so long life. We have them all around house and pole barn.
    Re dog, because our house is concrete and super tight and the windows are all triple pane lami, no sound really gets in the house so sometimes the dog fails to hear anything (esp. when the wind is whipping by). We think an LGD type that stays outside with chickens will be better -planning that next summer as I said.

Re LOOKING like we are always home - we have nothing out but PLANTS! lots of them in the living room windows (other than furniture) that you can see. I also move them around. Most thieves know if there are plants, someone LIVES there as plants need water/care. You cannot see our TV or cheap music system. (don't really have one - just an Ibox type thingy and out of box home stereo -- we are not techies.

Re house approach - forgot to say we put 4' of noisy stone around entire perimeter of house. Told builder/landscaper it was for handicapped MIL to walk but really it is a great line of "NOISE defense" as there is no way to sneak up on loose stones. We even hear cats and such. And they set of the motion lights.

We also built our home to look "plain" like a country farm ranch home. Very simple and only 1 roofline -- not fancy at all. This was to deter attention.
    Wildthang love the fake camera ideas - those are easy to find.

We are blessed that we have had the almost 2 yrs of part time here to get to know what is 'normal' and what is not. Also meeting folks at church, Knights of Columbus events, town events etc.

Thanks for all ideas. More are welcome.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I am gonna suggest to not put up signs like this....till at least you really get to know the people you are dealing with locally.
    Yeah, they are funny, and cool, and all.....but portray the wrong message in a neighborhood that maybe doesn't understand the humor....you want them to see you think like them.

They say, break in here they got guns and stores and stuff....or a bunch gun toting nuts.
    Opinion and experience.

Nothing wrong with security signs, and the cameras.

In addition to the security lights around the home and pole barn, one or two along the most likely access points can deter them before they ever get close.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I am gonna suggest to not put up signs like this....till at least you really get to know the people you are dealing with locally.
    Yeah, they are funny, and cool, and all.....but portray the wrong message in a neighborhood that maybe doesn't understand the humor....you want them to see you think like them.

They say, break in here they got guns and stores and stuff....or a bunch gun toting nuts.
    Opinion and experience.

Nothing wrong with security signs, and the cameras.
    Aw shucks Hunter. It was a joke. I didn't really expect her to put up signs like this.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I have a battery powered (solar charged) motion sensing led light that I picked up at Harbor Freight. This thing is really bright. You can adjust how sensitive it is, and how long it stays on. It stays charged here, even in the winter. And it has even survived some of our week long freezes. (Which the batteries in my outdoor thermometer don't survive).
    Might be nice to place where electricity ain't (but up high enough where they are hard to steal).
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

You really want to make your home less attractive than your neighbors. That's sad but it's true. Most burglars want an easy job so if your neighbor looks easier then they might just go there. You can purchase ADT signs and stickers on the internet. Just Google them. Tell all your neighbors you have a security system whether you do or not. Your neighbor might be a burglar!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Aw shucks Hunter. It was a joke. I didn't really expect her to put up signs like this.
    Yeah, I know, I hear ya.....I'm just playing the devils advocate.

It is easy to get into the cool/funny factor, but it's only funny when everyone understands the joke....maybe not in an area when you are planning on living.
    Lot of anti everything these days....no sense fueling the fire.