Thread: Has anyone seen this Vertical Fire?

Question Has anyone seen this Vertical Fire?

This Vertical Fire building method seems to have some advantages. Has anyone seen or tried this, before?

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.

They have been discussed in the past.....Swedish torch is one name.....
    https://www.google.com/search?q=swed...w=1093&bih=514

I can see maybe in deep snow, but a two log hunter fire is much easier and less work....IMHO
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Saying howdy and welcome.

Yeah, this comes up every few months. I tried it once with a large trunk piece and sliced it like a pie with a chainsaw. Inserted fire in the middle and presto!

I agree with hunter. Labor intensive and not too useful.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I have seen this type of fire before, I have never used it myself. However, its my opinion its going to burn pretty quickly. No matter how tight you bundle the logs there is going to be a ton of air flow, which will greatly accelerate the fires comsumption of fuel. In this sense its only practical application for survival is the need for extreme heat(a hypothermic danger), or a need for illumination or protection from predators. Otherwise its going to be a terribly inefficient fire for survival.

Ya, seen it, tried it, may use it again if I need to, not new.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
    I have seen this type of fire before, I have never used it myself. However, its my opinion its going to burn pretty quickly. No matter how tight you bundle the logs there is going to be a ton of air flow, which will greatly accelerate the fires comsumption of fuel. In this sense its only practical application for survival is the need for extreme heat(a hypothermic danger), or a need for illumination or protection from predators. Otherwise its going to be a terribly inefficient fire for survival.
    I've been thinking about this since I saw it on youtube a few years ago. But the bundle shown at the top of the post has re-ignited my interest. Would the concept shown allow for better ignition of say, damp wood or such, with the greater airflow and heat? I mean to say, that this could be used in the core of the fire to help the heat portion of the fire triangle boost at the beginning when it's hard to get things to catch.

I do a lot of camping the Allegheny mountains and I always seem to have a shortage of smaller (and dry) stuff to build the understory of my fire!
    Using Tapatalk

Where a fire like the Swedish Torch would really come in handy is if you had really wet or standing water on the ground and needed fire. This type of fire will act as it's own platform to keep the fire above the dampness that would make it difficult to burn. The wood still has to be dry to burn.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This fire is a life saver when you're out fishing in the winter. But the easy way to do this fire is to make 3 vertical cuts in a log with a chainsaw down to 2/3 of it.

Depending on what kind of burn times you got and if it lasted much longer than a regular fire it might be good for keeping a fire going overnight. But I was thinking that it would be way better for backpacking too since your burn ring is smaller. I'm going to have to do so e experimenting with this though I've got some other theory's but I'm not sure how well they would work.