Thread: A novel way of starting veg off.

Blog Entries

Default A novel way of starting veg off.

Starting seeds off in Gutters. I heard of this method some years back, but thought it a bit of a gimmick, so never tried it. Anyhoo, as the allotment resembles a cobbled driveway, getting anything to germinate in it is going to be difficult, I thought I'd give it a try. I was pretty pleased with the results.

I sowed Peas 9 days ago.

DSCN0966.jpg

When they are the desired size, you dig a shallow trench and shuffle the seedlings into place. I already have one row planted out, this is the second, should be ready by wednesday.

I might try growing some salad leaves in there to keep in the greenhouse.
    Last edited by Winnie; 04-26-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

That's pretty cool. I would think the soil would heat up quicker in the gutters. Neat idea.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Cool....growing in poor soil is always a challenge....and yeah just getting something started is tough.

So the plants just grow in the buried gutters?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have some gutters I took off of an old house that I was going to fasten to the side of my shed like a trough, and grow things such as lettuce and herbs in them. I think that they would need to be watered often, but they should be great for growing smallish plants in them. This is the year for them to get tried out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Cool....growing in poor soil is always a challenge....and yeah just getting something started is tough.

So the plants just grow in the buried gutters?
    You slide the compost plants and all out of the gutter and into the trench, you can then re-use the guttering again and again. I'l take some pics when I plant them out.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gohammergo View Post
    I have some gutters I took off of an old house that I was going to fasten to the side of my shed like a trough, and grow things such as lettuce and herbs in them. I think that they would need to be watered often, but they should be great for growing smallish plants in them. This is the year for them to get tried out.
    A friend in Scotland has strawberries growing in gutters in his polytunnel. Recycling at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    You slide the compost plants and all out of the gutter and into the trench, you can then re-use the guttering again and again. I'l take some pics when I plant them out.
    Gotcha......was wondering.

Had lettuce in the mesh flats a few times, just planted the flats.....then dumped them in the fall.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That is pretty interesting and ingenious. I have to get some updated pictures of my progress. Will hopefully be planting something this week.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Blog Entries

Good to hear it's all happening W. I'm just staring with the planting. We have risk of frost til beginning of June, so the tender stuff hasn't been sown yet. Once it's worth taking a few pics, I will add to the allotment thread.

My area has warmed up, so I have a few things in the ground. I will update my thread, but I keep forgetting photos.

side note: If all goes to plan, I will be in Westenhanger the week of July 16th for the War and Peace Revival, if you need me to pack any canning supplies and drop them in the mail there. I will also be staying in London a few days, if you are anywhere near there.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman86 View Post
    My area has warmed up, so I have a few things in the ground. I will update my thread, but I keep forgetting photos.

side note: If all goes to plan, I will be in Westenhanger the week of July 16th for the War and Peace Revival, if you need me to pack any canning supplies and drop them in the mail there. I will also be staying in London a few days, if you are anywhere near there.
    I am only an hour or so away from London by Train. I have sent you an email. It would be great to meet for Tea and Cake (or Coffee and Cookies)

I sent you a reply. It would be great to meet up. I am just waiting until Shannon is born before finalizing plans.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Blog Entries

Yep, got it thanks!