Thread: Handgun shopping

Default Handgun shopping

NEW to handguns and am looking for revolver or 45ACP .. i know zero about them .. which is the best and why .. please send suggestions...this is to be used strictly for home defense .. close up stuff if ever needed ... (lotsa bears here too) .. I like the 357 magnum as Im being told it also can chamber 38 special ? and I also like the rapidity of the ACP 45 .. PLEASE TELL ME HOW IT IS GUYS ? Thank You
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

I like the revolver for home defense, also the shotgun and 30-30win lever gun.
    I'm handgun shopping as well but I'm looking into .380 and 9mm (maybe .40sw if I find a deal)
    The ammo for 45acp seems to be plentiful around here .
    I like the fact that you can shoot 38sp in a 357magnum gun.
    I know nothing about handgun laws in Canada so no insight there and that's my 2 cents.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I have a Springfield SD Service model in .45. It gives me 13 + 1 so I have a lot of home defense and a second magazine as insurance. It has been an excellent weapon. I haven't had a bit of problem with it. Springfield now offers all sorts of iterations and calibers so you should be able to find what you want. A wheel gun has potentially less to go wrong but less ammo. Just remember that you want to balance defending yourself with shooting through your neighbor's wall and hitting someone innocent.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Both options work (semi-auto or wheel gun) IMO. I take it that you don't have experience with either? Will you be the only one to potentially use it, or will your wife have use/have access to it if needed? I ask because while I like a semi-auto - have been using and carrying them for a long time, my wife is more comfortable with a revolver.

Also - for inside the home - frangible ammunition is a good idea for some. Good for close quarters, but does not over penetrate.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Do you have a shop or range where you can try out different types and models?
    We have an indoor range that rents just about anything you want in hand guns, you just buy the ammo from them.

This gives you a chance to learn and see for your self.

Take lessons, and if DW is going to use as well, take her with you.

I like revolvers, .357 being my top choice.....auto loaders are fine, there are just so many out there now....I wouldn't have a clue of "What is the best".

For house, pump shotgun,...... although currently it's a Ruger LCP........it's new, and will go into travel bag as well (no airplanes)....nice little pocket pistol.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

My understanding of Ontario/Canada handgun law is that it is very difficult to buy/own a handgun Except possibly in northern regions, so as you live up north, perhaps you can own a handgun.
    AS others have posted, if you are nor familiar with handguns, a revolver is a better choice than a semi auto. I would not buy anything less than a .357 Mag in power if bears are a possibility. I have just purchased a Taurus Tracker in 44 mag because I can shoot low power Cowboy Action loads for practice and reserve the 44 Mag loads for serious purposes. Of course you can you can do the same thing with 38 Specials in a .357 Mag. Good home defense loads against humans are GLASSER SAFETY SLUGS or any high velocity jacked hollow point. In a 357 Mag, look for 110gr /125 gr hp's for home defense but for bear, I would recommend a 180 gr hard cast loading from Buffalo Bore, Double Tap or similar companies. Same principal with bigger calibers.
    Actually, the best home defense/ bear protection firearm is probably a short barrel shotgun. You can't beat a 12 ga with slugs as a bear stopper and buckshot for two legged predators. A Mossberg 500 is a very good choice. If the DW can't handle a 12 ga, a 20 ga works just as well for two legged predators. Proper ammunition is equally important as firearm choice.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

in an area where one can not carry a handgun for most of the practical purposes for which it is intended the mystique of owning a handgun sometimes outweighs the benefits of owning a handgun.

What I have picked up on Canadian law leads me to understand that one can not carry the pistol for general purposes or hunting outside the home. That renders it a range toy or pure home security device, and there are better choices for HD than a handgun.

In fact, you can own a better Home defense shotgun than we can here in the States, since your laws allow a shorter barrel and shorter OAL for the shotgun or rifle.

I have to agree with Old Professor on almost every point.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Revolver or a semi-automatic pistol is a question of preference. If you can, go to a range and try both out.
    If bears could be an issue, I would opt for a semi-automatic. If you're not experienced with shooting a handgun, expect not to hit everytime you pull the trigger, and when you actually have to fire a handgun in a real "defend yourself" situation, people tend to fire more rounds, so having more bullets to shoot before you have to reload should be something to consider.
    A 9 mm has less "stopping power", than a .45 but you will be able to shot and re-aim and shot faster with a 9 mm, because of less recoil. But the stopping power is also a factor to consider. A 9 mm. will be more than enough to stop any human intruder though.
    Keep in mind that no matter how many rounds you have fired at a cardboard target at a well lit range, having to actually use a handgun in a real life/death scenario with a bear, or even armed intruders, is not comparable. In any way.

I have carried both 9 mm., .40 and .45 in the field as a sidearm, in my time in the special forces and I would be comfortable with all of them. Glock or Beretta is the the way to go for me.

Tool & Die Maker

Owning a handgun in Canada is going to be a challenge.

For us Americans; Wanna make a Canadian real happy, take him out handgun shooting. They absolutely love shooting handguns. I did that for a Canadian friend of mine vacationing in Florida last winter. I had 5 handguns for him to shoot. He was fun to just watch shoot. He is an avid hunter and would love to have a handgun for protection in the woods, but can't have one, not very easily anyway.

Jim
    Last edited by jim Glass; 04-22-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman6660 View Post
    "NEW to handguns and am looking for revolver or 45ACP .. i know zero about them .. ..."
    I know that in Canada handguns are highly restricted so do not know what regulations you'd run into trying to get permission from your Govt., to buy one. I've also read that Canadian law is very restrictive on actual self defense against criminals by victims. (???)

That said, given your total unfamiliarity with handguns, in my opinion, you'd be better off with a short 12 ga pump shotgun for home defense. You could also carry it out in the woods if you're afraid of bears.

It is very difficult for a beginner to buy a handgun and learn how to shoot accurately, especially in a high stress situation. The shotgun is easier, and more versatile.

Just my opinion.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

If you like 357 try SP 101 or GP by Ruger great guns very well built fit and finish. Cant help with the Canada thing I wanted to move there about 35 yrs ago, Had a chance to passed it up no handguns and restricted on rifles decided to stay in the was Good ole USA. But fighting for our rights too. The difference is we have the freedom Question is are we smart enough to keep it. Good Luck

Everyone always brings the conversation down to one basic element. Revolver or semi-auto.
    In a circumstance where you have a wild animal coming at you I would rather have at least 13 rounds in my .40 S&W
    to shoot as fast as my finger can pull the trigger than a revolver with only five or six rounds and single action.

Same for Home Defense. "Defendant do you know there is 13 holes in the home invader?", "Yes your honor, I had
    to stop to reload". Better to be tried by 12 than carried by six.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomUIC View Post
    ...................................Same for Home Defense. "Defendant do you know there is 13 holes in the home invader?", "Yes your honor, I hadto stop to reload". Better to be tried by 12 than carried by six.
    Or the worst case of suicide you ever saw..............
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Around my place all 13 holes represents if one good solid hit with #4 buckshot!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?