Thread: First knife build

Default First knife build

I started on my first knife today, this is after about an hour of work with only hand tools. I have the holes drilled in it for the pins, and will start the rough grind tomorrow
    Attached Images Attached Images

You're off to a good start.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Looking good to me as well.....
    What design are you going for?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Not sure what design I'm going for really... I just drew something out on graph paper and tweaked it till I liked the looks. I haven't been able to work on it much, because I've been out of town. I hope to have it finished by the end of this weekend.

It's a good start. Every piece of metal knows what it wants to become. All you have to do is coax it along. Kinda like wood. If you screw up then you know you were coaxing it down the wrong path and that wasn't what it wanted to be. Listen to it and it will tell you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

image.jpgHere it is after I've sanded it to 320 grit.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

I've put the handle on, and I still need too file it down and finish sanding the blade.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

That looks like a fine functional knife.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nice progress.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks. I should have it finished by Tomorrow.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Default Finished

Here is a pic of me holding the finished product along with a pic of just the knife.
    Last edited by Arctic Fox; 05-10-2014 at 12:40 AM.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Nice job.

How did you make hanging upside down to show it look so easy?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good work. I hope you stick with it.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Thanks crash. It took a lot of paracord and practice...

Thanks canid, I thing I will stick with it and have already started rough cutting my second.
    -Thomas Jefferson

nice work for a first. actually i like the line's a lot. simple but effective. investigate using vanadium steel with chrome molly it make's the sharpest knive's you ever saw. gtg

This is more like an Iron Age type.
    It will be rusting, but that's why it will stay sharp.

DSCF2166.jpg
    Last edited by Roel; 02-02-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Really surprised to see this show up so close to the top of the list. Thanks guys! I don't post much anymore, but I still frequent the site and read the posts.
    -Thomas Jefferson

We leave the light on for you.

How is the knife working out for you? Have you used it much? Pretty good about keeping an edge and sharpening? What kind of steel is it?

Not the best afterwards, don't really ever use it cuz it was just made from mild steel. I have however made a couple from files that work pretty good
    -Thomas Jefferson