Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are uses for CLAY found from the ground

Default What are uses for CLAY found from the ground

i live in Canada and at my house if you dig about 1 foot down anywhere you hit clay is there any uses for this human or tool uses.

Clay + heat = Bricks, pottery, Marbles......
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Clay can be a valuable resource for containers and pots.
    Most need to be processed to be able to be used, as raw clay won't be of much use.
    There are many grades of clay.

http://www.practicalprimitive.com/sk...ssingclay.html
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

What Hunter 63 said!

Clay makes great balls for sling ammo.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

The "white" clay found in S GA was eaten by many people. Supposedly was good for the digestive system...?
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Even if the clay is not high quality it can still be a valuable resource. I have helped build several horno ovens at historic sites. Some are now 20 years old and still in use baking bread for demonstrations and staff use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=horn...h=655&dpr=0.95

It can also be used to chink cabin walls, seal chimneys, build blacksmith forges, form water tanks and feed troths for livestock.

In early America clay provided building material once the settlers decided they needed more than crude shelters. West of the Mississippi it was used as a base for adobe and east of the Mississippi it was used as a base for fired bricks. All those old historic brick houses were made from local clay.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-11-2014 at 10:31 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

So, you want to know the uses of clay found from the ground. I am just wondering where else do you find clay? I can't think of any type of clay that didn't come from the ground.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Clay Aiken came from his momma, Mr. Smarty saddle bags.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This is a sticky question
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

I have taken clay from the ground here in Alaska and use it to make pottery vessels. After the clay is collected, I dry it out completely. Once it is dry, it can then be smashed and crumbled into a powder which is then sifted through a screen. The sifted clay is then remixed with water and made into the desired finished shape. Once the project is thoroughly dry, I then dig a hole in the ground, fill this depression with dry sawdust and bury the clay project in the sawdust. Now build a fire on top of the sawdust and burn for quite a while. Once the fire is safely burned out, leave the area and come back the next day to retrieve the cooled down clay project. If you retrieve the project too soon after firing it, it will crack once the hot clay is touched by the colder outside air. There are good youtube videos on all these steps if you do the research to find them. I plan on putting up a series of videos demo-ing this on my channel but just havent had the time yet.
    Last edited by phreshayr; 04-12-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phreshayr View Post
    I have taken clay from the ground here in Alaska and use it to make pottery vessels. After the clay is collected, I dry it out completely. Once it is dry, it can then be smashed and crumbled into a powder which is then sifted through a screen. The sifted clay is then remixed with water and made into the desired finished shape. Once the project is thoroughly dry, I then dig a hole in the ground, fill this depression with dry sawdust and bury the clay project in the sawdust. Now build a fire on top of the sawdust and burn for quite a while. Once the fire is safely burned out, leave the area and come back the next day to retrieve the cooled down clay project. If you retrieve the project too soon after firing it, it will crack once the hot clay is touched by the colder outside air. There are good youtube videos on all these steps if you do the research to find them. I plan on putting up a series of videos demo-ing this on my channel but just havent had the time yet.
    Do you have a vid for this process?

Going along the lines of enjoyment, just make some cool pots or sculptures

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Do you have a vid for this process?
    No I don't have any videos up yet on working with local clay. It is however on the list to do someday. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by phreshayr View Post
    No I don't have any videos up yet on working with local clay. It is however on the list to do someday. Sorry.
    Ya Thanks anyway.......always enjoy your vids....

Remember also that not all 'clay' is. Organic mud is often taken to be clay, which is sometimes a major constituent (fine silt is also common), and does not have the same versatility in use. It can have much lower dimensional stability when drying or absorbing moisture and can be much less strong.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Down here all we have is marl. Which is calcium carbonate. It was mixed at a 5 part marl to one part sand (we got plenty of sand) for pottery.

The calcium Carbonate is also kiln to a fine powder and is an ingredient in concrete.

yep, that clay found from the air is pretty hard to work with. :-)

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

phreshayr thanks for the info. When I was in college I took several pottery classes. To take anything beyond the basic 100 level classes, you had to have a contract with the teacher on what kind of thing you were going to work on for the semester. I focused on making covered dishes but one of my friends focused on digging her own clay. This was in Colorado. I don't know what type, if any, clay is in the Interior up here but would be interested in exploring that a bit. I found it fascinating.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    phreshayr thanks for the info.............. I don't know what type, if any, clay is in the Interior up here but would be interested in exploring that a bit. I found it fascinating.
    I have seen where somewhere around healy I think it was, there is some good quality clay that is known and sought by potters. I dug mine at Earthquake Park in Anchorage after flying in to Anchorage from work before heading out the highway to our rural home. I have learned that there is clay quite common where I live but does take some extra work to improve the quality. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have some locally up in your neck of the woods as well