Thread: Better Bug out Bags

Default Better Bug out Bags

A must for any survival situation, is the Bug Out Bag (B.O.B), they can be as simple or as complex as you would like. But there seems to be a list of necessities that are in everyone's B.O.B.

Heading off the list is shelter. Be it a small one person tent, a rugged tarp or canvas, or cordage to make an emergency shelter with anything you can find. But one of the most important things in any survival situation is shelter, to protect you from the elements. Even a simple shelter could save your life.

Next is water, without it you would be putting yourself at risk for dehydration, and shortening your chances of survival. Keeping a couple small water bottles, a canteen, or a bladder, as well as water sanitizing tablets, allow you to collect rain water, or water from a stream or river, and be able to make it safe to consume.

Fire is also important. I always keep a Ferrous Rod, as well as cotton balls and hand sanitizer. The cotton balls act as tinder, the alcohol in the sanitizer as an ignitor, and the ferrous rod as the spark, it works decent in the rain. I want to try dipping the cotton balls in petroleum jelly. But water proof matches, or a cheap lighter will do the trick. But are not always dependable.

Last is food, having a good stash of canned foods on hand will help, just put a couple cans of your favorite meat product in the bottom of your bag, for a quick meal. But also be prepared for the worst, pack gear to make snares, and other traps, and/or things to make makeshift weapons.

What is in your B.O.B. is entirely up to you. Please feel free to chip in your own ideas, or argue mine, these are just my ideas from observing the people I camp with and the similarity's in our packs. I would love yalls feed back, so we can all work together to build B.O.B.s for every situation, and any preference.
    More than Life Paracord. Can do more than save your life. http://www.facebook.com/morethanlifeparacord

My B.O.B.
    1lt camel back, pack
    Small fleece throw
    Mylar emergency blanket
    Poncho
    Altoid tin fire kit
    Hand sanitizer
    Ferrous rod
    Cotton balls
    Matches
    8ft 550 paracord
    Crossman slingshot
    1/4 inch ball bearings
    That's what I have now, I am adding more as funds come in
    More than Life Paracord. Can do more than save your life. http://www.facebook.com/morethanlifeparacord

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is an intro section at
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Lots of thread on BOB, GHB, PSK and such on this forum......but a lot will depend on what are you bugging out from, or where to and why.
    They will differ from NYC to Yellowstone Natl. Park, west coast, great white north.......and should be adjusted to your climate and location.

Seems you have a good start.....don't see a FAK or knife, water processing or signaling.....just as suggestions.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Like I said, its not complete, lost a lot of the things I had in my old pack when I moved (room mate stole a lot of it) so I'm building back up. I live in west central Illinois, so I pack for the conditions here, which vary drasticly (was 80 two days ago, snowed today)

I'm trying to get my hands on an army issue CLS kit, they are small and contain a lot, plus they have molle straps to attach to packs easily to save space inside

Most places, this "making primitive shelter" is much too wasteful of time, calories, and too likely to get you hurt. I don't bother with a tent, but I use a poncho big enough to envelope a ridgeline and my hammock. :-) I've never had much luck with the "lean to" or open sided shelter. The wind nearly always changes on me and rain, bugs, snow, etc get in the open side.

It all depends on what you are bugging out for and where you are bugging out to as to what you have in your BOB. I plan for weather related events and a few man made so my destination is family or hotel. I have no intentions of living in the woods. However, any BOB should contain a supply of daily medications, money in small denominations and a good quality knife.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

nobody with Katrina or Rita or a dozen other things planned on it, either, but they still wound up having to do it, for a while. Or they should have, they'd have been much safer than where they ended up.

You are welcome to your opinion but my comment still stands.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by swenlet View Post
    nobody with Katrina or Rita or a dozen other things planned on it, either, but they still wound up having to do it, for a while. Or they should have, they'd have been much safer than where they ended up.
    Katrina and Rita are precisely the sort of thing that many prep for. Many during those storms were not prepared and serve as a shinning example of why people should. When you are not prepared you are at the mercy of the elements and the aftermath that ensues. If you are prepared you are monitoring the situation from the comfort of wherever your preps took you - be that a Hampton Inn, a relative or friend, or hunkered down with your supplies.

Your example proves Rick's point.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel