Thread: Knife making supplies

Post Knife making supplies

I have been wanting to get into making a knife for a while, but I'm not sure what tools and supplies I will need. I know I will need a bench grinder and an angle grinder, but that's about it. If you can help me out, I'd really appreciate it!

A great book for you would be The $50 Knife Shop by Wayne Goddard. http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Goddards...450+knife+shop

You can make a knife with absolutely no power tools and at the other extreme you can fully outfit a top notch knife making shop for around $40,000. Personally I like to slide in between the extremes and buy used equipment or make my own.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks for the book link. I cant wait to try making my first knife. I looked at a couple of your knife builds on here, and they look beautiful! Thanks again for the help!

Before I got a decent belt grinder I got a lot of mileage out of a 6" disk sander. They can be had cheaply, and I still find a lot of use for them.

A second hand bench grinder is also a plus.

I do the hardening stage of my heat treatment with a couple of bricks and a weed torch I picked up at harbor freight. Tempering can be done in a household oven.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Awesome! I never thought about using an oven for tempering. Im pretty sure i have a disk sander, and im sure i can get my hands on a bench grinder somehow. What temp should i temper on?

That will depend on the steel you use and the degree of temper you want. For many low alloy blade steels, 350-375 will suite easily well enough.
    Last edited by canid; 04-13-2014 at 01:49 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

thanks fo rall the help. I will probably start next weekend, and will post pics when im finished.