Thread: I'm back, looking for a little advice.

Default I'm back, looking for a little advice.

Haven't signed in for probably about a year or so, but I keep coming back to read every once and awhile. Over the last year I had lost my job, opened my own restaurant, got ran out by Mormons and closed my restaurant (in Utah at the time) and now I live in Arizona in a off grid community. Now, I have some money but no job currently, I am looking to start off prepping again but I was wondering with what I have surrounding me how would you start off. The property I am on has a well that I share with around 10 people at the most. The closest place to really get anything is about a ten minute drive on the freeway in both directions. We have a generator, some gas (encase we forget to fill up one day etc.), and I have a couple days worth of canned foods. Im not looking to go months, and im not prepping for anything specific (but if I must have a reason, flooding, drought, fire, state wide blackout like we just had, and they just discovered a new Super Volcano about 90 minutes north of me) its just more of a backup plan if something does happen as I have seen it happen before. Should I rely on the well for the most part and go easy on buying water now and get food? or Even it out and get small amounts at one time?
    "I would rather live in dangerous freedom than I would peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
    "The purpose of life is a life with a purpose, so i'd rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless." - Immortal Technique

Well if you don't have a Bob, that is a good place to start! With flooding and volcanoes near, you definately need that!

Like everything else, a little at a time.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Well I have most everything, just in small amounts. I was just curious as what you would do, rely on the Well and buy larger amounts of food? or split food and water down the middle? As if Bugging Out I have 3 to 4 locations that are easily accessible, either family owned, or an easy place to spend the night without anybody really knowing.
    "I would rather live in dangerous freedom than I would peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
    "The purpose of life is a life with a purpose, so i'd rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless." - Immortal Technique

Welcome back.
    I guess I'm kinda confused on your current situation.
    You are in a off grid community?.....With 10 other people?....with a well? that pumps with a gas motor?

So whose community is it, land? rent, commune?....Do you have your own place there?....own transportation?......
    Is it a community food sharing?....

I guess my question has to do with what you own, can carry, and with what.......?
    That would kinda dictate what you prep, and with who, and where.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The details of it can alter come in conflict with "off the grid" its in a small town (population probably no higher than 100) but i'm in the outskirts. When we first moved here we called the electric company to set us up, but when we gave them our address they told us it didn't exist, we tried Google earth and still didn't come up, we ended up having to go pick up people from the electric company and bringing them to our home. The property is owned buy another man, who is selling lots (rent to buy) where he has built homes. Nothing is shared other than the water in the well, everyone keeps to themselves. Yes I have my own transportation as well does everyone else. The only food sharing we do is when we all start showing off recipes (which is often, and mmmm good!). When I said 10 other people, there are 3 in my home, 1 next door, and 2 down a couple lots with visitors in and out frequently so I just rounded up for the guest that come in.

Thanks for the details.......just makes it easier to offer advice.

That sounds like you can prep for your self, and be able to go your own way if you should want to.
    Now if it was a commune situation you may have to add to the whole on supplies....

So the advice would be start small, keep adding food and fuel as you can afford it.
    Just little things like, buy two cans of food instead of one, and put one back........it won't be long before you will build up your stash again.

And if you decide to bug out, you have a stash to take with you.......all three in your home going to be bugging out?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I would assess what I believed to be my most likely threats to my least likely threats and start work on the most likely. Do you have smoke detectors in your home? Enough cash to pay bills and live a couple of months? Enough....well, you get the picture. All rhetorical questions but you need to figure out you feel is the worst thing that could happen and start work to mitigate that thing. Once you get it covered then start on the next thing. As everyone said, a little at a time is fine.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by jhnnymwr75 View Post
    """ ... The property is owned buy another man, who is selling lots (rent to buy) where he has built homes. Nothing is shared other than the water in the well, everyone keeps to themselves. ... "
    Who owns the well? Who is responsible for maintaining the well, pump, water line, and water quality??

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Who owns the well? Who is responsible for maintaining the well, pump, water line, and water quality??

S.M.
    This. I have never been to Arizona, but I would imagine that water is probably a pretty big concern there? Also, I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm not real keen on the sharing thing. Especially a water source. (the only water source?)

Do you monitor the water depth in the well? It is a good idea to know how much water is there at different times of the year. That would tell you if you need to store additional water.