Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 hurt in stabbings at Franklin Regional High School

Last edited by RangerXanatos; 04-09-2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Fox gave a little more info
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

It just proves that evil people will do evil things with whatever tool they can find. I hope everyone survives. I was appalled at the comment of the director,

"But I'm just glad it wasn't a shooter, because if it had been a shooter, there would have been fatalities,"

You can surmise that but she has no clairvoyance to make that prediction. And with 4 in critical condition she might have her fatalities yet. Irresponsible comment in my opinion.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah, kinda falls under the..... "Well it was ONLY a stabbing......."
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

All the more reason for armed and trained personel in the schools ! A good tazer gun could have saved a few of these kids from injury !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    All the more reason for armed and trained personel in the schools ! A good tazer gun could have saved a few of these kids from injury !
    that is true and a good 45acp would save the taxpayers trial expenses. I hope there are no fatalities very sad event!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    that is true and a good 45acp would save the taxpayers trial expenses. I hope there are no fatalities very sad event!!
    I hear ya, but I wouldn't want to see a 16 year old get shot - not even one that stupid.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

I hear ya, but I wouldn't want to see a 16 year old get shot - not even one that stupid.
    its debatable, because that stupid 16 year old will turn into a stupid 30 year old and possibly be worse, just my two cents.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

It sucks that even before the blood has been mopped up there are people using this as ammo in the debate on guns (not here at WSF so much as in the larger media). It's a sick pointless crime, to be sure. At this point it looks promising that everyone will survive, even though the wounds are ghastly. I'm glad there were no lives lost.

From a preparedness point of view the takeaway should be that we must never underestimate a knife, or think "oh, he only has a knife." Knives have been used to kill people as long at there have been people, or very nearly so. Recall the terrorist knife rampage in China a few months back that left many innocent people dead. Knives are very lethal; I'd go so far as to say that in the hands of someone that knows how to use one they're more lethal than guns at very close range, or at least they're on a pretty level playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    its debatable, because that stupid 16 year old will turn into a stupid 30 year old and possibly be worse, just my two cents.
    What I'm wondering is "what pushed this kid to do this in the first place" ? He looked pretty small on the news, so I'm wondering if he had been bullied to the point that he went of the deep end or what ? Did he target friend of his bullies ? Things like that - it will be interesting to see what made him do it. And if truth be known, it may very well have something to do with bullies taunting him. Makes me sick to hear about kids being bullied and nothing ever seems to be done about it. My brother had to take his daughter out of school and home school her because she was being bullied and no one would do anything about it. One of my other brothers step son had his arm broken by bullies and previous incidents had been reported to school officials and nothing was done. Its just fortunate that his injury wasn't worse !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

In a "Gun-Free Zone", a knife is king. The old corollary might be - Never take a knife to a gun fight.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

From what I read, yes, he had been bullied.

This country went through a phase (started by Kennedy, I believe) where we were all interested in our physical fitness. We'd better get concerned about our mental/emotional fitness. I'm getting to an age that I harp on things, not because I want to nag, but because I forget that I've mentioned it before, but, sociologists and psychologists have been talking about our "insane society" for as long as I can remember (probably the 70s since that's when I started being exposed to all these ideas.) We've never taken them seriously. Kitty Genovese was murdered and raped in New York in 1964 while at least a dozen people watched. The attacks (multiple) took about a half hour. Further research by people like Kohlberg, Milgram, Zimbardo, Goffman, etc. brought out some details of how our society is insane. We don't know how to deal with emotional problems. Whereas, most of our laws are pretty much reasonable, there are a significant number that are drastically off-kilter and the way they are enforced is getting more and more draconian. Thomas Jefferson was the very one who said, "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." Does our government fear us or do we fear our government? When people fear liberty (I would assume, because they fear the responsibility that goes with it), they give it away to their government. The reason the founding fathers wanted us to have firearms was not to protect us from outsiders, but to protect us from our own government. Why does our government want so badly to control fire arms? Do you really think it's to prevent street violence? How do you vote for government officials? A lot of people do so because such-and-such is attractive, because they have a few significant values in common, or because they're male or female, black or white. I suspect a sane person would think those are irrational reasons. Frankly, I could go on for pages but the point is...

We live in a desperately sick society and it's not getting better and it's not going to get any better because (at least for the present) the power really is with the people and the people don't have the slightest idea what they're doing and they don't really care to know.

So, if you want to have a sane society, if you don't already know, find out what a sane society looks like and be a roll model, teach your children, support others who have an inkling. But I don't have a lot of hope for the larger population. Most important, you'd best learn to deal with it without losing yourselves in the process.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post

This country went through a phase (started by Kennedy, I believe) where we were all interested in our physical fitness. We'd better get concerned about our mental/emotional fitness. I'm getting to an age that I harp on things, not because I want to nag, but because I forget that I've mentioned it before, but, sociologists and psychologists have been talking about our "insane society" for as long as I can remember (probably the 70s since that's when I started being exposed to all these ideas.) We've never taken them seriously. Kitty Genovese was murdered and raped in New York in 1964 while at least a dozen people watched. The attacks (multiple) took about a half hour. Further research by people like Kohlberg, Milgram, Zimbardo, Goffman, etc. brought out some details of how our society is insane. We don't know how to deal with emotional problems. Whereas, most of our laws are pretty much reasonable, there are a significant number that are drastically off-kilter and the way they are enforced is getting more and more draconian. Thomas Jefferson was the very one who said, "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." Does our government fear us or do we fear our government? When people fear liberty (I would assume, because they fear the responsibility that goes with it), they give it away to their government. The reason the founding fathers wanted us to have firearms was not to protect us from outsiders, but to protect us from our own government. Why does our government want so badly to control fire arms? Do you really think it's to prevent street violence? How do you vote for government officials? A lot of people do so because such-and-such is attractive, because they have a few significant values in common, or because they're male or female, black or white. I suspect a sane person would think those are irrational reasons. Frankly, I could go on for pages but the point is...

We live in a desperately sick society and it's not getting better and it's not going to get any better because (at least for the present) the power really is with the people and the people don't have the slightest idea what they're doing and they don't really care to know.

So, if you want to have a sane society, if you don't already know, find out what a sane society looks like and be a roll model, teach your children, support others who have an inkling. But I don't have a lot of hope for the larger population. Most important, you'd best learn to deal with it without losing yourselves in the process.
    Very well put ! And again, the bullies never think about long term effects of their antics nor do they care and no one seems to want to do anything about it. When I was a kid in school and someone would bully you, you busted them in the moth with a fist and they left you alone from that point on, both parties might have got paddled by a teacher but the bully learned his lesson. But now if kid gets bullied and defends himself, they make him the bad guy and do nothing to the one that started it and thats where we are going wrong. Everyone needs to adopt a zero tolerance for bullies and stick to it and make sure they know they won't be tollerated ! I know of one case that was in the news where a kid was getting bullied and ended up hanging himself - very sad indeed !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post

Is it just me, but it seems that all of the great social powers of the past eventually went corrupt, politically inept, and their governments became selfish and disfunctional. It just seems to be the natural cycle of all past great society's.
    And their people normally follow them off into the hole like lemmings! I think it is our turn in that cycle!

Well, yeah, but I don't think we're all going to go down the drain this time. The people that knows whats going on could get overwhelmed and say, "There's nothing we can do," but they don't have to.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Once upon a time in a land not too far away those adjudicated as mentally dysfunctional were imprisoned in places referred to as "hospitals". Then we decided that was inhumane (it was of course) so we turned them out on the street (stupid idea). Since then, we've struggled with how to manage the problem while mostly ignoring it. But there is always a price to pay whether you treat mental illness or not and this is but one example of it being paid. Until we come to terms with treating those who have mental issues as effectively as we do with someone who has a broken arm we will continue to be plagued with these kinds of things.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Once upon a time in a land not too far away those adjudicated as mentally dysfunctional were imprisoned in places referred to as "hospitals". Then we decided that was inhumane (it was of course) so we turned them out on the street (stupid idea). Since then, we've struggled with how to manage the problem while mostly ignoring it. But there is always a price to pay whether you treat mental illness or not and this is but one example of it being paid. Until we come to terms with treating those who have mental issues as effectively as we do with someone who has a broken arm we will continue to be plagued with these kinds of things.
    In addition, parents need plug into their children's lives on a daily basis and not make excuses for bad behavior or live in denial over antisocial, keeps to himself kinda thing. I know how tough it must be trying to raise kids these days but having them is a choice, after all.
    Don't have them if you're not up to the task. I didn't, that's why I can say this.

You're both right. But, then, the worst thing about turning them out on the streets was that they didn't have programs to put them into to help them get their lives back. America, in both foreign and domestic dealings, is a land of half measures and, when you do things half way, things get doubly messed up (it's a mathematical law: 1/2 done = 2 messed up).

Another problem that I see contributing to this sort of thing from young people is that they are taught everybody is a winner. They are taught that they can do no wrong. At some point in life that find out that that the world does keep score and that there are winners and losers they are often ill equipped to deal with it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Another problem that I see contributing to this sort of thing from young people is that they are taught everybody is a winner. They are taught that they can do no wrong. At some point in life that find out that that the world does keep score and that there are winners and losers they are often ill equipped to deal with it.
    And the bullies are taught that its not their fault for what they do and the ones being bullied are taught that you can not report the bullies or do anything about them because the bullies are supposedly the real victims. Thats what the school board told my brother when his daughter was being bullied and he had to take her out of public school because of it. They basicaly punished his daughter and let the bully go free ! They told her that if the bully started picking on her to just walk away, and she ask them what if they follow me, am I supposed to just let them keep doing it or can I defend myself. They told her in no way are you allowed to strike back at them. What a messed up world we live in ! I believe in turn the other cheek, but the word doesn't say anything about what happens when you do and they keep at it. I think turning the cheek means to give them one chance to quit, then you make them quit !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

And the bullies are taught that its not their fault for what they do and the ones being bullied are taught that you can not report the bullies or do anything about them because the bullies are supposedly the real victims.
    What I find particularly troubling is the vast majority of kids who just stand by apathetically and let the bullies bully...someone else.
    Kids need to be thought from an early age to stand up not just for themselves but for others too, who can't fend for themselves. Bullies do their thing because others let it happen. And the same thing unfortunately continues into adulthood.