Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 hurt in stabbings at Franklin Regional High School

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    What I find particularly troubling is the vast majority of kids who just stand by apathetically and let the bullies bully...someone else.
    Kids need to be thought from an early age to stand up not just for themselves but for others too, who can't fend for themselves. Bullies do their thing because others let it happen. And the same thing unfortunately continues into adulthood.
    I did just that one time in high school. I was in auto mechanics the last 2 years of high school, and one day I walked into the locker room to find one of the big guys from the football team beating a smaller special education student in the chest with his fist and laughing thinking it was funny. I pulled him off the kid, the kid sinks to the floor having trouble breathing and open up on his assailant giving him a few good thumps. Then I reported it to the principal and nothing was ever done about it. Since this was in a seperate buuilding in the auto shop, the principal said it wasn't up to him - go figure ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

We use to catch the bully's off the school grounds and just thump the h@ll out of them. It let them know that there could be consequences for messing with the kids that couldn't defend themselves. My little gang of friends were tough, but we didn't beleive in picking on people either.

America, 2014... The culture of being a winner without effort and everything being classified as bullying has made kids so unable to cope with things that this stuff happens. Name calling helped a kid getting picked on become sarcastic (I mean that in a good way).. it taught weak kids to fight or run. The fat girl in highschool turned into the bombshell in college. My unpopular belief is that the act of bullying isn't any more harsh then when I was a kid, the ability to make it a positive is what's gone. Don't get me wrong, my kids were never allowed to name call or start trouble, just allowed to give it back.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Bullies were azzholes then and they are azzholes now. The failing in most cases lies at the feet of the parents. If a kid bullies then he needs to be taught it is not acceptable. If that means time off from school so be it. It generally stems from some difference whether it be race, religion, size, glasses, special needs or whatever else makes the kid different. That doesn't give some asshole license to pick on him or her. And it doesn't build character either. It builds adults that look back on their childhood with disdain instead of fond memories.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Further, it tells bullies that it's all right to be a bully and that's how you get ahead in the world. School and maturing is supposed to teach people how to develop strong, constructive relationships, not make life miserable for others.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Told you my opinion was unpopular! I don't think I got it across right though based on the comments. I don't think bullies get ahead... Most of them are probably driving the same camaro they thought was cool back then. My kids were bully terminators back in school, my youngest once was suspended for beating the crap out of a school board members kid. When I asked why, he said he (the school board kid) was picking on a third grader. My boy got no further punishment from me. I do think though that there are thousands and thousands of very successful people today because they once pick themselves up from the play ground, wiped blood from their mouth, looked the grinning bully in the eyes and decided that someday they will see who the loser is.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Back to the original topic though.. this stabbing happened not far from me. 4 kids are still in serious condition but if I heard it right, classes will start back tomorrow. Teachers were having counseling today.

" I do think though that there are thousands and thousands of very successful people today because they once pick themselves up from the play ground, wiped blood from their mouth, looked the grinning bully in the eyes and decided that someday they will see who the loser is. "

I think I can agree with you there; I'm one of those people - but I don't think I'm particularly better off because of the harassment I was exposed to in school - those were just the cards I was dealt and I played them as well as I could.

My people often say, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger," and in my life, I think that's been the case; but, then, I look at who said that (Nietzsche) and I look at where he ended up (insane) and I wonder if he's really the kind of person the world needs to go to for wisdom.......
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    " I do think though that there are thousands and thousands of very successful people today because they once pick themselves up from the play ground, wiped blood from their mouth, looked the grinning bully in the eyes and decided that someday they will see who the loser is. "

I think I can agree with you there; I'm one of those people - but I don't think I'm particularly better off because of the harassment I was exposed to in school - those were just the cards I was dealt and I played them as well as I could.

My people often say, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger," and in my life, I think that's been the case; but, then, I look at who said that (Nietzsche) and I look at where he ended up (insane) and I wonder if he's really the kind of person the world needs to go to for wisdom.......
    Another way that turns out is, "What doesn't kill you, makes you bitter." Makes you wanna run of into the wilderness away from people who've been such $hits to you (at best) or even out the score later when you get a chance.
    We love to point out people who've picked themselves up, dusted themselves off and became very successful. It's inspirational, to be sure--where there is a will, there is a way, kinda thing. But adversity affects people differently and unless you get a break somewhere along the way, chances are, it will affect who you are and how you interact with people.

Quote Originally Posted by rick View Post
    bullies were azzholes then and they are azzholes now. The failing in most cases lies at the feet of the parents. If a kid bullies then he needs to be taught it is not acceptable. If that means time off from school so be it. It generally stems from some difference whether it be race, religion, size, glasses, special needs or whatever else makes the kid different. That doesn't give some asshole license to pick on him or her. And it doesn't build character either. It builds adults that look back on their childhood with disdain instead of fond memories.
    amen rick !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

"Makes you wanna run of into the wilderness away from people who've been such $hits to you (at best) or even out the score later when you get a chance. "

True enough - different people deal with it differently. But I've noticed the mix. I can't run away because I've known too many good people there that deserve my support.

It's true that a lot of bullies "get theirs in the end" (some of them actually grow out of it, though). They should have never got to that point to start with - they're lost potential. I don't often agree with Hilary Clinton but I absolutely agree that it takes a village to raise a child and if a couple of parents are too dumb or conflict-avoidant to prevent their kid from turning into a dead weight on society, the village should move in and take a hand in it. Bullying is one of society's sicknesses and it needs to be cured.

The village should have stopped the dumb ones from becoming parents in the first place, so they aren't burdened with kids (who will probably turn out as dumb or dumber than the parents).

Quote Originally Posted by camp10
    I do think though that there are thousands and thousands of very successful people today because they once pick themselves up from the play ground, wiped blood from their mouth, looked the grinning bully in the eyes and decided that someday they will see who the loser is.
    I would suggest they became successful in spite of the bullying. They became successful because hard work is in their character whether that hard work is physical, mental or both. I would like to think of school at the foot of Socrates where learning about many subjects by a well rounded mentor is the ideal.

I got my butt kicked more than once because I went to someones aid. We had a special needs class that always seemed to be the brunt of every badazz in the school. One of the special needs kids was sitting on a rail to concrete stairs and one of "them" shoved him off backwards. It was a drop of about eight feet onto concrete. It's a wonder it didn't kill him. I grabbed him by the back of the pants and tossed him over the rail too. It cost me the worst azz kicking I ever got but I still had the satisfaction of doing the right thing. I told him before he started swinging that no matter what happened I would always be right and he would also be an azzhole. That's when I got hit the first time. Big guys fall harder but they also swing harder too. I still know I was right. I hope he does too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

and Socates knuckled under to some bullies. I'd have busted loose and put my bow to work!. But maybe he was too old and crippled up to do such a thing.

Socrates chose his fate. He could have walked away.

They were wrong and he was tired. Pick your poison...