Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surviving a canoe accident

Default Surviving a canoe accident

It is my opinion that we probably have more experts on this topic than anywhere else on this earth. Almost all senior members have had a canoe accident, and I am sure they all have some good tips on how to survive a canoe wreck. I think we should share all of our knowledge and experience with our new members.
    So here it is, let's all post at least one good tip on preventing or surviving a canoe accident!

Wildthang: Don't try to grab heavy guns and ammo and swim to the shore line, it doesn't work!

Here is a link with some good advice!

http://www.boatingmag.com/boatingsaf...apsize-survive

Hunter63......Only grab your favorite firearm and wear PFD
    Let the rest go including ammo....it can be replaced.......................unless it's .22 lr............ jury is still out on the "replacement" part.

It should be noted that anything that floats can and will capsize/sink or both....the question isn't how...it's when.
    Mess with boats (generic term on anything that floats)....you are gonna get wet.
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-05-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added stuff
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Remember to tie anchor line to the boat and not just the anchor. This Happened To Me!
    Thank goodness for my Mepps Original #4 spinnerbait.
    ( I dragged the pond for a half hour before I re-captured my anchor and line.)
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Better, make sure knot holding rope to anchor is a tight one. Never did find that anchor.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Just make sure you have record of all of your firearms that went down (and I mean all)
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

All of my canoeing experience has been on still water lakes and creeks, but I never grab anything during a swamp - its all tied in so it stays with the canoe which floats even if its full of water, upside down or whatever. Always wear your vest and if you are too far from shore to swim, stay with the canoe until help arrives. If its cold water, try to paddle the swamped canoe to shore so you can dump it and build a fire so you can get warm and dry clothes. And always have extra clothes dry packed so you can get out of the wet ones and into dry ones if you do take a spill. Always dry pack everything so your fire kit and clothing is dry !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Some suggestions: 1. Carry all firearms in flotation cases. 2. tie securely extra paddle(s) to the canoe. 3 tie securely a waterproof container with fire starting material to the canoe, like under a seat. This is in addition to the same things attached to your PFD. 4 ALWAYS ALWAYS wear your PFD!! Accidents happen so fast you probably will not have time to don your PFD.
    5. If you are canoeing in a remote location, carry something like the SPOT PERSONAL LOCATOR ATTACHED TO YOUR PERSON.

In/on my PFD I have a strobe light, fire starting materials, knife(Hunter 63 - like the ones we bought) and a flashlight. A dry bag with dry clothing lashed to the canoe is a smart idea. I would add a space blanket to that dry bag.

Dont put all of your guns and ammo into one canoe Ask Rick he knows!

A canoe, when filled with water that also has a trolling motor battery in it will indeed sink, don't grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by tipacanoe View Post
    A canoe, when filled with water that also has a trolling motor battery in it will indeed sink, don't grab it.
    This man should be listened to. With his screen name it is obvious that he is an expert in these matters.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 04-06-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Shh, don't tell anyone canoes float when swamped. They sink. They sink I tell you! Taking everything in it straight to the bottom. And it's very very deep where it went down too.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Shh, don't tell anyone canoes float when swamped. They sink. They sink I tell you! Taking everything in it straight to the bottom. And it's very very deep where it went down too.
    Yeah, That's the ticket....I agree, sink like a stone....or an SKS w/ammo....sinkers they are for sure.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good read, thanks for posting it

My Top Ten List of Things I've Learned in Canoe Sinkings.

1. Never place ammo and guns next to you in the back of the canoe. Twelve fire arms and 500,000 rounds of ammo tend to lower the backend.
    2. If someone on shore recommends you might have your load unbalanced....listen.
    3. Never listen when someone says, "Nah, it ain't loaded". Always carry a canoe hole patching kit if you listen to them.
    4. Take pictures of all you weapons and ammo BEFORE you are sinking. During does funny things to a digital camera.
    5. ATF agents rarely bring their own scuba gear when checking on "lost" weapons. It's best to bring a long garden hose if they REALLY want to check out your claims.
    6. The captain DOES NOT have to go down with the ship. At least this one don't.
    7. Cell phones don't work when wet.
    8. If you want to find out how deep it is where your weapons sank hang on to them. You'll find out pretty quick.
    9. Placing your favorite sidearm in a pocket causes you to swim in circles.
    10. You can't walk on water no matter how much you want to or how hard you try.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just in case anyone is wondering......if you catch a big fish, and it is still flapping around in the boat and about to capsize the boat, it might be a good idea to not shoot the fish to kill it. Just sayin.......
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    This man should be listened to. With his screen name it is obvious that he is an expert in these matters.
    Lets see.....a guy named "tipacanoe" and a guy who used to drive subs named "crashdive" say that a canoe sinks....I would believe them.

Were all his subs named crashdive? Well I swan. Who knew?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Were all his subs named crashdive? Well I swan. Who knew?
    Only the ones that he sank.

As long as the number of surfaces equaled the number of dives it was all good.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This thread is about as valuable as a screen door in a submarine